Controlled Substance Use "need Advice" Please

Hello all

A friend told me about this site and said that it has some of the best information available when it comes to medical marijuana so I thought I would seek some direction and advice from this community.

I was pulled over 2 weeks ago for what they said was to check my registration by a Kent County sheriff officer. I had just came from dinner with my sister who helped me aquire some medical marijuana for my own personal use due to the fact that I have zero connections to obtain mj for medical use. I have only used mj around 4 times in my life. Once when I was in college and the rest of the time I have used recently for medical pain relief and other medical problems.

I had purchased around a 1/8 ounce. I knew when I was pulled over I was in for it due to the fact of the very strong odor so I did not refuse search and told him I did have mj and where it was at and that I used it for medical purposes. I do not have my physical catrd yet and applied at the end of December. I have all the copies of my paper work. Dr. reccomendation, application to the state etc. He was not at all interested in looking at my paper work for verification that I had been reccomended to use medical mj as an alternative to the pain medication I had been addicted to for 3 years since my surgery.

I had major ankle reconstructive surgery that has left me with zero cartliage in my right ankle and being a big guy it is bone on bone pain daily. I havnt worked for the past 3 yrs due to this injury and have fallen into a pretty deep depression. Ever since it was suggested to me to give medical mj a try to cope with my ankle pain especially when trying to sleep I have not had to use any type of opiate to supress the pain. The 3 times I have used marijuana since my Dr. reccomended it I have been able to sleep most nights and it has dulled the pain most of the time to a tolerable level.

So my main question is what type of trouble am I actually in and should I present my paper work to the judge tomorrow? I dont have a lawyer becuase I cant afford one and wouldnt want to burden my family what so ever. I have never been in trouble with the law so I have a clean record other than I couple points on my liscence for speeding. I was charged with "Controlled Substance Use of Marijuana 3337404 (2D)

Any suggestions on what I should do and if I have any legal rights to be using medical marijauna in the first place being I have not recieved my actual card but have sent in everything in proper order.

Thank you kindly for the help and I wish everyone a pain free day!

many thx!

Blue

Yes show your paperwork to the judge. If it has been 20 days since the state has cashed your check an according to their rules you are assumed legal. Will you be assigned a court appointed lawyer? Did you ask for one?

Dizz

WOW

So sorry!

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted.

Make sure not to make any "deals" they offer you as you are innocent

and if you agree to probation on some petty charge they may indeed require

you to urine test and without an attorney to properly structure the deal you may

be left unable to use MMJ even though you have the paperwork.

Once you make a deal it is VERY VERY VERY hard for an attorney to change it.

PS I would print the state law out, highlight the areas which state you are approved 20 days

after the check cashed, make sure to have your delivery conf and all of that as well.

Be VERY humble and respectful of the Judge. Dress respectable when going to court and clean up

if you are scruffy.... Judges hate when someone comes in wearing their pjs looking like they just

rolled out of bed

Hi Dizz thx for the reply.

Well I wasnt actually arrested as far as I know lol. He just issued me 2 tickets one for no proof of isurance and the marijuana use which Im not sure why he said "use" becuase I had not used it yet I had just gotten it 20 minutes prior. In fact I had not used medical mj for 3 weeks prior so I dont think I would have had any in my system and still dont.

How do I prove that they cashed my money order and will they be able to verify that for me?

If I need a lawyer i will deff. ask for one becuase I truly dont want this on my record and sort of has scared me from using it even though it has benefited me and truly helped me get off the pain meds perscribed by my Dr. The pain meds helped without doubt but one cant help get addicted to them i dont care how moral one is ya know.

Do you know what usually happens to someone who has never been in trouble with the law and has gotten a possesion charge? Am I looking at any jail time? Fine? Both, lol?

By the way I am 40 yrs old and have 4 daughters 3 that I drive to the bus stop every morning. I never have used mj while driving and never have used it around my family. infact my wife doesnt even know that I have tried it and used it for my pain and insomnia. I planned on telling her after I gave medical mj a honest evaluation to see if it actually benefited me and finding out that it doesactually help me this happens. The reason i havnt told her is she is very against mj use for any reason as I was until I needed something and truly have found it to be a savior. I think I would have died or gotten more serious health probelms using opiates.

Thx again for your input I really do appreciate it. Im just sort of lost,scared etc. Never been in trouble like i said and really dont know what is going to happen.

Guest Wayne

Request a court appointed attorney if applicable. Just because you have an attorney interested in expiditing a plea deal doesn't mean you can't JUST SAY NO to anything your in disagreement about. The attorney is necessary to guide you in courtroom procedure, something few of us are familiar with. Good luck and never, ever, ever, ever, ever......... consent to a search. In that respect you have to, and probably will come to, understand you may have seriously screwed yourself. Refusing/consenting is a black & white issue, mitigation is very rarely applicable.

Thx all for the guidance and help.

Yes I know I shouldnt have consented but it was blatantly obvious and I truly thought I was medically legal but infact I honestly guess i dont know the law. Which is a major mistake and shouldnt be taken lightly. Anyone wanting to use med mj better know the law and I feel like a real dummy for not that is certain.

before your case, call ur bank and get proof ur check was cashed/check #/who u spoke with is sufficient but cancelled check even better/ur bank can email u a copy of it to print out. print out the part of the mmm act which explains that u are considered valid after 20 days, etc...bring all this with u. everything else is going to depend on ur judge. he might want to see ur paperwork, he might not. be respectful, the fact u have never been in trouble will probably help u. ask for a court-appointed attorney. understand that getting one is a crap shoot...u might get a good one, u might not. but it beats defending urself (Not Recommended), and you can always ask for a different one down the road if they are really bad, like my 1st one was. get a notebook and start writing everything down that happened from the time u were pulled over, and what ur progress is each day. it will be as good as testimony if this ends up going to trial.

going to court has been one of the worst experiences of my life. just be prepared for some stress, and the fact that a resolution may be months away.

also, a court apointed attorney is not free. they will charge you about $150 per court appearance. I think I had 10 appearances for a felony case. ur possesion charge will be a misdemeanor case, i dont know if the fees/# of times in court are the same for felony/mis...hopefully less for both.

Could someone please show me where to find the 20 days and your covered or legal statement so I can print it out please and thank you very much!

Link is on the home page under patient/mm act. You are Legal. Was there something wrong with your registration/ plate.

Can't pull you over just to check.

Get that cashed check receipt & email copy of paperwork to PA.

Get a hold of 3 med/ Give Matt Able a call, can't hurt.

From what you say You have done nothing wrong.

...if have 1/8 of an ounce of marijuana

I consider myself to be.... out of marijuana :D

You have applied for a state card...paperwork should act as the card after 21 days

Do you have certifed mail reciept..?

That would be good ...but yeah definetley show it to the judge...make sure your lawyer has copies

The judge might need confirmation from MDCH that your paperwork has been approved and your card is in the works...

Very Easy Case to Win !!! Good Luck

MDCH

Program Status Update (4/23/2010): Application Forms and Instructions are available for printing from this website.

Program Statistics:

26,726 original and renewal applications received since April 6, 2009.

13,739 patient registrations issued.

5,847 caregiver registrations issued.

3,953 applications denied -- most due to incomplete application or missing documentation.

Applications are reviewed within 15 days of receipt. Incomplete applications are denied and applicants are then notified of denial by certified and regular mail.

Complete applications, change forms and reapplications for previous denials are then processed in the date order in which they are received. If a denial letter is not received, then the application is deemed valid. The statute currently allows for a copy of the application submitted to serve as a valid registry identification if the card is not issued within 20 days of its submission to the department. At this time, we are unable to issue valid registry identification cards within the statutory time frame with the resources available to us. Currently staff is issuing registry identification cards for valid applications received early January. We continue to review and revise our processing methods in order to more efficiently process and issue the valid registry cards.

The staff is diligently working to process the applications and is having difficulty responding to all the voicemails left on the Medical Marihuana Registry phone line. We appreciate your patience and ask that applicants refrain from calling to inquire about the status of the application unless your application was submitted prior to mid-December.

Good evening all. Sorry for the delay in updating what happened in court Ive been so busy latley running around doing errands.

I will update fully when all s said and done. I dont want to divulge any info until it is over,over. I will say that in the end even if charged it is no big deal. 100 bucks 6 months no report probation with nothing on my record after 6 months. But I want my meds back and full dismisal.

Sorry I cant go into further detail at this time Im sure you understand.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and helpfulness in a time of uncertainty and a slight personal crisis lol. I was pretty freaked about what seems to be not much.

Hope to get to know you all better in the future and again as soon as this is over I will update fully.

Wishing you all pain free days.

Good evening all. Sorry for the delay in updating what happened in court Ive been so busy latley running around doing errands.

I will update fully when all s said and done. I dont want to divulge any info until it is over,over. I will say that in the end even if charged it is no big deal. 100 bucks 6 months no report probation with nothing on my record after 6 months. But I want my meds back and full dismisal.

Sorry I cant go into further detail at this time Im sure you understand.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and helpfulness in a time of uncertainty and a slight personal crisis lol. I was pretty freaked about what seems to be not much.

Hope to get to know you all better in the future and again as soon as this is over I will update fully.

Wishing you all pain free days.

[/quote

Am sorry about what happen to yousad.gif and am glad your OK i hope you get your Meds back but i don't think you will thats what Leo does they take your Meds and they have took others to this has got to stop and i sure hope you get your Meds back smile.gif Peace from the front

Hello all! I hope the day is treating you well.

You know looking back there are so many things I would have done differently while filling out and sending my app in. For one I should have used a personal check. The reason I didnt was I was sort of hiding it from my wife becuase she is one of the non believers and thinks it is an excuse. But then I tell her well if I wanted to "use" Marijuana for rec and as an excuse then wouldnt I have been using it all my life?

Ive only used mj a couple times in my life when not needing it for meds and now a couple times for med purposes. Man for what it is worth I was so addicted to Norco 10 mg it was out of control. 300-500 a week habit, plus my 1 perscription a month of 90 of the little evil things. I have never been adicted to anything like that before. So ya know if anything mj helped me get off what I think is more harmful than helpful. If your Dr. is willing to perscribe these to you for pain tolerance and control for 3 years anyone is going to use more and more and in the end I dont think they gave any pain relief to my ankle maybe just my weak mind! :blink: At one point in the beginning they had me on 80 mg Oxyxotinin's (sp)... and even liquid and pill form Morphine but those both didnt suit me.

So to answer some very important questions above and realtes to the things I would have done differntly.

No I didnt send my app certified which again hindsight would have been another tool for me in case something like this happend sooner. Not an excuse but I cant remember the last item I mailed to anyone so truthfully registered or certified mail wasnt even in my realm of thinking. Which was a Norco haze.

Was the first money order I ever purchased in my life and believe I sent the whole thing? Buying another the other day in case I do have to resummit the fee there is a tear off section on this Western Union. I bought the first MO in Detroit area and really do not remember who the maker company was. My next goal has been trying to get ahold of the stores name but no luck thus far. I really dont want to drive to D if I dont have to but will if it really will assist me in the end.

Update on court

They gave me a 2nd PT request which they say is rare but what do I know. I do believe the assist pro was going to offer me a 7411 but said it wouldnt be on my record and no driving restrictions would be placed. But there would possibly be a no report probation (didnt specify lenght) and to pay any court costs ect.

So there is a bunch for ya.

This law needs to be understood by anyone who plans or is wanting to use mj as a med. It is pretty grey when it comes to this law and there are people like me who didnt do the diligence :angry:

I super appreciate this sites members support and the site itself for providing such forums!

The court date is in the middle of the summer. I guess they are busy!!!

Sure hope to have my card by then!!! B)

I dont get online much but will check in as soon as I can with you all!

Friends! Best to you all! Much respect to you all!

Blue

The law enforcement officials have been in the papers calling the vote a joke. They will only understand how serious we are when we vote them out of office. It's a misdemeanor in Ingham county. I did 8 days in jail for half a joints worth of Marijuana. Had to pay 500 for 9 months probation and 25 dollar drops three 2-3 times a week for awhile. You also have to goto their substance abuse classes. We are the front lines for our children. Present your case to the judge. You have a right to a public defender attorney under the American Constitution. Always speak through your attoney. Right to remain silent and right to not self incriminate. Always plea if possible. Never speak to law enforcement. They act like your friends, smile in your face, and plot your life case while they write all your words down to use against you in court. We have proven statistics of the alcohol that causes deaths that fund the State of Michigan. The national statistic has marijauna at 0. They just want their money machine. What happens when we aren't the criminals they chase anymore? They lose their jobs.

OK Blue ..

Somehow they got you to believe that accepting a guilty plea is a good deal when you are completely innocent.

Please wake up.

Hello all! I hope the day is treating you well.

You know looking back there are so many things I would have done differently while filling out and sending my app in. For one I should have used a personal check. The reason I didnt was I was sort of hiding it from my wife becuase she is one of the non believers and thinks it is an excuse. But then I tell her well if I wanted to "use" Marijuana for rec and as an excuse then wouldnt I have been using it all my life?

Ive only used mj a couple times in my life when not needing it for meds and now a couple times for med purposes. Man for what it is worth I was so addicted to Norco 10 mg it was out of control. 300-500 a week habit, plus my 1 perscription a month of 90 of the little evil things. I have never been adicted to anything like that before. So ya know if anything mj helped me get off what I think is more harmful than helpful. If your Dr. is willing to perscribe these to you for pain tolerance and control for 3 years anyone is going to use more and more and in the end I dont think they gave any pain relief to my ankle maybe just my weak mind! :blink: At one point in the beginning they had me on 80 mg Oxyxotinin's (sp)... and even liquid and pill form Morphine but those both didnt suit me.

So to answer some very important questions above and realtes to the things I would have done differntly.

No I didnt send my app certified which again hindsight would have been another tool for me in case something like this happend sooner. Not an excuse but I cant remember the last item I mailed to anyone so truthfully registered or certified mail wasnt even in my realm of thinking. Which was a Norco haze.

Was the first money order I ever purchased in my life and believe I sent the whole thing? Buying another the other day in case I do have to resummit the fee there is a tear off section on this Western Union. I bought the first MO in Detroit area and really do not remember who the maker company was. My next goal has been trying to get ahold of the stores name but no luck thus far. I really dont want to drive to D if I dont have to but will if it really will assist me in the end.

Update on court

They gave me a 2nd PT request which they say is rare but what do I know. I do believe the assist pro was going to offer me a 7411 but said it wouldnt be on my record and no driving restrictions would be placed. But there would possibly be a no report probation (didnt specify lenght) and to pay any court costs ect.

So there is a bunch for ya.

This law needs to be understood by anyone who plans or is wanting to use mj as a med. It is pretty grey when it comes to this law and there are people like me who didnt do the diligence :angry:

I super appreciate this sites members support and the site itself for providing such forums!

The court date is in the middle of the summer. I guess they are busy!!!

Sure hope to have my card by then!!! B)

I dont get online much but will check in as soon as I can with you all!

Friends! Best to you all! Much respect to you all!

Blue

Whats the matter with this picture? It dont matter if you are registered or not<>if you have a dr. recomodation that says mm will benifit you for your condition you have an a.d defense! it sounds like you are copping a plea? it mite not be on your record but it will be in the next judges notes if you find yourself in court again. and no you wont get your meds back, they claim they destroy them! I know it sounds good to be done with this case, the easiest way, but remember you dont have a record and most likely can prove you dont use mm regular, This kinda stuff needs to stop now! we need more people beating these kinda cases! Kent county Why am I not surprised?

I hope it works out for you and yours!

Peace!

Jim

The law enforcement officials have been in the papers calling the vote a joke. They will only understand how serious we are when we vote them out of office. It's a misdemeanor in Ingham county. I did 8 days in jail for half a joints worth of Marijuana. Had to pay 500 for 9 months probation and 25 dollar drops three 2-3 times a week for awhile. You also have to goto their substance abuse classes.

Whhhhaaaaatttttt?????????

See what happens when you cop a plea? You go through all that even when you are innocent.

Archived