[TUTORIAL] Organics 101

Jipo

Submitted By: JipoSubmitted On: Today, 12:06 PMSubmitted In: Grow Room Tricks and Tips:Click here to go to tutorial

Ok so you want to grow organic meds? Define organics to you? Do you consider getting store bought soils and nutrients that say they're organic on them? If so be my guest, but your not growing true organics. Its still processed, its still got chemicals in it, it may pass "Organic" standards, but its not true organics. Today I'm going to cover a few things, first Soil.

Here is a soiless mixture that isn't very hot but will have enough microbiology to benefit your plants

5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss

3 parts perlite

2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost

Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Also to heat things up bat guano, Bone Meal and Blood meal are good additives 1/2 to 2/3 parts each. I would mix 1 batch like the recipe and one batch with added guano, line the lower half of your pot with the hot batch and the upper half with the lighter batch, that way you do not shock your roots and burn your plants because this mix will provide alot of nitrogen, you should beable to make it all the way through a veg phase without having to add much but for most hungry medical strains this isn't so hot where you will lose the benefits of giving it a nice Tea feeding which I will cover later.

The only true organic soil I've ever seen is Roots soil, but its weak, its not very enriched at all. So if you take that route I recommend using this mixture.

6 Roots Organic Soil

2 parts perlite

2 parts earthworm castings

Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Again I would also make a hotter batch with additional Guano, Bone meal and Blood meal and layer it in the pot.

I would use 1/2-2/3 parts guano, Bone meal and Blood meal but you may find more or less work for you, also this is not necessarily needed, based on how often you feed and how much tea your mixing, this addition will provide ample nutrients for the first 2-4 weeks of growth, you may find it is to hot for your plants when you add teas, if this is the case don't use tea's for another week or two and try again.

Also

But, a "part" can be anything from a tablespoon to a five gallon bucket. Just use the same item for all of the "parts".

Now for the Organic Tea's and Nutrients

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-

Mix 1 cup earthworm castings into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.

Add 5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses.

Use it to water your seedlings with every 3rd watering.

Veg mix-

1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)

1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)

1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)

5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract

(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)

Mix with water @ 1 cup of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.

To that 5 gallons of tea add:

5 tbs. Liquid Karma

5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses

Use it to water with every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:

2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano

2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings

2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)

5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract

(That makes the "dry mix". You can make all you want and save it to use later.)

Mix with water @ 2 cups of dry mix into 5 gallons of water to make the tea.

To that 5 gallons of tea add:

5 tbs. Liquid Karma

5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses

Use it to water with EVERY watering.

You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it. If you find you are making too much tea and having to throw it out, use 2 1/2 gallons of water and cut the nute amount by half.

That is a good article. Who was it from again? It was that article that got me to start making worm castings and molasses tea recently. Plants really respond to it. I have had a worm bin going for about five weeks now and it won't be long before I will have fresh worm castings to use.

That is a good article. Who was it from again? It was that article that got me to start making worm castings and molasses tea recently. Plants really respond to it. I have had a worm bin going for about five weeks now and it won't be long before I will have fresh worm castings to use.

Alot of it is from a member LC on a handful of forums. Its been condensed amongst a few other threads with others input and other recipes added in as well.