Strain Colors

Hi Everyone.

i hope i am posting this under the correct topic. My friend and I are debating on what causes mj to turn a certain color, e.g. purple, blue. Is it from the mj being a particular strain? I have heard that it is strictly due to the temperature it is growing in. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

XxSesimeseedxX :)

Hi Everyone.

i hope i am posting this under the correct topic. My friend and I are debating on what causes mj to turn a certain color, e.g. purple, blue. Is it from the mj being a particular strain? I have heard that it is strictly due to the temperature it is growing in. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

XxSesimeseedxX :)

It' s genetic. Some strains turn color automatically and others are influenced by temperature and or lack of certain nutrients.

It' s genetic. Some strains turn color automatically and others are influenced by temperature and or lack of certain nutrients.

very correct. and, NORMALLY, a strain that is predisposed to color change will be facilitated by cooler temps during the flower period.

Yup, look at the trees in fall, they turn beautiful colors prior to dying along with the temp and season change. Marijuana is a lot like that as well, plants in their natural environment will react just like the trees and other plants with vibrant colors. Also if you've ever had indoor grown purple strains alot of them tend to not get overly purple like ones grown outdoors, alot of this is due to the fixed and controlled environment indoors, I've had friends growing purps indoors get upset that it stayed green until it was ready to harvest, but alot of that is due to those genetics are triggered by mother earth changing seasons, not by age or vigor or growth.

A good example of a particular strain is Bubba Kush(Katsu cut). Bubba Kush in particular the Katsu Cut is generally a phosphorous hog during flowering and if it doesn't get the phosphorous it wants it will turn purple very easily. I've had it start to purple up in as littlle as four to five weeks into the flowering cycle. If you provide it what it wants it tends to finish more green in color with a slightly better yield than if not given high doses of phosphorous. Cool temperatures also can add to the purple on this strain but not as much as lack of phosphorous. With this strain it is a decision whether you want a little better yield or a lot prettier finished product. I like the purple so I usually go the route with less phosphorous.

A good example of a particular strain is Bubba Kush(Katsu cut). Bubba Kush in particular the Katsu Cut is generally a phosphorous hog during flowering and if it doesn't get the phosphorous it wants it will turn purple very easily. I've had it start to purple up in as littlle as four to five weeks into the flowering cycle. If you provide it what it wants it tends to finish more green in color with a slightly better yield than if not given high doses of phosphorous. Cool temperatures also can add to the purple on this strain but not as much as lack of phosphorous. With this strain it is a decision whether you want a little better yield or a lot prettier finished product. I like the purple so I usually go the route with less phosphorous.

thats a GREAT example.

Archived