Male Pollen Collection

vender

Hello all, I had a male I was growing for the pollen. I have just cut all the pollen sacks off and was wondering do I need to cure it? How do I store it? What do I need to do to make it viable? Any info on pollen collection would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello all, I had a male I was growing for the pollen. I have just cut all the pollen sacks off and was wondering do I need to cure it? How do I store it? What do I need to do to make it viable? Any info on pollen collection would be appreciated.

Thanks

hi vender!!

we have been covering that "in class" the last couple days in my help thread :D

stop over and check it out. all your answers are on the last 2 pages i think.

http://www.michiganm...in/page__st__20

edit... darn!! hahaha

the posts are on page 3 and 5

Thanks

Bubblegrowers thread has a few posts about this, check that out one. Also if the pollen sacks are ready to pop let them dry out for a few days then put them in a film canister or something like it and shake the bunny muffin out of it. they'll break and leave a good amount of pollen. There is a better way in that thread I said to check out though so make sure to stop by there!!

Edit - darn you beat me to it hahaha

Thanks for the read. Crap I hope I didnt ruin what I have. I just cut all the balls off and put them in glass jar. Do you think the balls will open now that I cut them from the plant? I place the jar by my dehumidifier.

Thanks for the read. Crap I hope I didnt ruin what I have. I just cut all the balls off and put them in glass jar. Do you think the balls will open now that I cut them from the plant? I place the jar by my dehumidifier.

Yeah if they were mature enough they will. What I used to do until reading the post in bubbles thread was wait til one popped and take note of the features it presented prior to popping, then pluck them as they matured and before they popped then dry them in the open not in a jar, then shake the ever loving bunny muffin out of that jar after they're dry.

Hey, this is late and i'm going to do a tutorial write-up..

Take a plastic drink cup and another cup that the plastic one fits inside, but only to within about 1" of the bottom..

Cut a hole in the bottom of the plastic cup, that the stem will fit through...

Now, cut the top 6-8" of your male, place the stem through the hole in the plastic cup...

Add 3/4" of water to the other cup and place one inside the other.. place on window sill..

The inner cup will catch naturally "ready" pollen, without it getting wet...!!!

You also end up with NO plant matter that could possibly rot or harbor mites (i've had batches of seeds go south on my because of mite infestation in the storage container..)

Place collected pollen in a film container, a few grains of rice are good to keep it dry..

Archived