Water Temps

UrbanFarmer

Greetings.

In several other posts I've seen folks trying to keep their temps in the high 70's, others in the low 60's.

I've always tried to shoot for low to mid 70's, or, as close to room temp as possible, to avoid root shock.

So now I'm wondering:

What temp is your res at? Why that temp? Do you vary your water temps for different stages? Diff temps for aero vs hydro vs ebb n flow, etc?

I am by no means a master but I have read that 60 to 68 in areo is best. The fluid will hold more o2 at this temp. And from what I have seen this is true. As for plant shock I have not seen this at 60 or above. This may be in part due to the temp of the rootzone. I hope this helps some. I got the info from the MM bible. John

Yep 64-68 is ideal in my book. Your fluid will hold much more oxygen in that range. Too much cooler and you will shock em any warmer and there is a hole host of problems you can run in to. Good luck.... Peace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My water gets pretty cold sitting overnight (I use tap and bubble air through it for 24 hrs at least). I am going to lift it off of the concrete floor, because that is sucking heat out of it for sure.

What other methods can I use to warm the water up a bit?

What are the symptoms of cold water shock?

a small aquarium heater in a big tote will keep in where you need it. Depending on what size rez, or single tote your using, I'd try a smaller heater first and work up from there to get the optimal temp range. The heaters must be submerged all the way, or the part sticking out of the water will burn it up. Although I haven't owned one for a few years, the old ones needed be be kept underwater.

Diff temps for aero vs hydro vs ebb n flow, etc?

wow this one came back from the dead :) i love to see old threads pulled back up.

and to get a little more in depth.......... yes it does make a difference for optimal water temps depending on what type of system you are using.

in a true deep water culture system, (bubblebuckets/totes) where the roots actually are completely submerged in water all day everyday.... 68-70° is best.... no problem if it hits 72°....... same for RDWC or drip systems... but many studies have shown, and i agree, that if you are at 73° or above for any length of time you will begin to see problems. it could be in the form of algae, or brown slimy roots, but you will begin to see bad stuff if your water is too warm.

NFT systems can be a bit warmer as far as water goes...... because the roots are not 100% submerged in most systems. if you just have a thin layer of water running at the roots constantly, it can be up to 75°.

ebb and flow can be room temp water. 80°+. in a "true" ebb-n-flow system, the roots are flooded for a couple minutes, and then the water drains back out and the wet roots are left to air out. for this reason, the water can be warmer.

^^^my problems are two fold...during the dark cycle my temps drop to room temp 63-65, but when the lights are on they float around the 75-77 area....how can I fix both problems???? and there is no way I could run any type of DWC or RDWC in the summer, my water temp would be way to high....

there are more than a couple ways to keep your dwc or rdwc cool during summer. seriously. send me a p.m. and i will dig up the pics for you :)

• 3 months later...

I have always kept my res temp at 68-70 degrees. I also try to keep the room temp no more than 10 degrees above the water temp. An extreme difference in air temp and water temp can damage the leafs and disrupt normal growth.

• 5 months later...

I have always kept my res temp at 68-70 degrees. I also try to keep the room temp no more than 10 degrees above the water temp. An extreme difference in air temp and water temp can damage the leafs and disrupt normal growth.

That's funny you say that.

my system keeps the water temps at 64-70 and the air temps up to 90, just like outside.

Outside the ground stays a constant lower temp then the air and it doesn't disrupt growth at all.

Archived