Patient Turned Away From Shelter

If you are sick and legally use MMJ to alleviate symptoms, you better not need the help of a homeless shelter. I walked in to the South Oakland Homeless Shelter for help and I was turned away simply for having legal THC in my blood (all homeless must be drug screened prior to using the shelter). The gentleman addmitted that clients who use doctor prescribed narcotics are fine because it's prescribed. I asked why my card and doctors rec. would not be acceptable reasons for having the THC in my blood. He said he was'nt going to debate me any further and that families with kids live here. I said I wasn't seeking to posess or use MMJ while at the facility, I was only hopeing that you would allow me to have it in my blood stream.

Anyway, I spoke to Matt Abel who lined me up with the ACLU. I hear the're working on a case not unlike this one in a different part of the state.

NEW INFO: The Shelter is introducing a new policy for the board to approve which allows MMJ patients equal acess to the facility.

If you are sick and legally use MMJ to alleviate symptoms, you better not need the help of a homeless shelter. I walked in to the South Oakland Homeless Shelter for help and I was turned away simply for having legal THC in my blood (all homeless must be drug screened prior to using the shelter). The gentleman addmitted that clients who use doctor prescribed narcotics are fine because it's prescribed. I asked why my card and doctors rec. would not be acceptable reasons for having the THC in my blood. He said he was'nt going to debate me any further and that families with kids live here. I said I wasn't seeking to posess or use MMJ while at the facility, I was only hopeing that you would allow me to have it in my blood stream.

Anyway, I spoke to Matt Abel who lined me up with the ACLU. I hear the're working on a case not unlike this one in a different part of the state.

Wow, sorry you had too go through that. Drug screening to stay at a shelter huh? Crazy world we live in.

Guest Marywanna

If you are on Medicaid or Medicare,go to your Dr. and tell him you have GERD,and need an RX for Protonix. Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor,decreasing the acid in your stomach. It shows up positive on any MJ testing. Funny how you can be all over the Vicoden or Oxy but not the MMJ that you have been approved for and can legally use. Are most shelters like this? MW

Guest Wayne

So they test employees daily to assure the safety of children? Had no idea they had that much surplus money at homeless shelters. I'm impressed in this economy.

Guest Wayne

Just got off the phone with the Executive Director of the South Oakland Homeless Shelter and was advised they will not deny MMMP participants access to services or placement at the shelter, with a caveat regarding "being under the influence", but denying testing positive being the sole cause. He did however go on to explain they had, just this morning, denied access to someone wishing to possess plants while residing at the shelter. Any details regarding your situation that doesn't jibe with his response? Just trying to get a clear understanding before condemning.

Just got off the phone with the Executive Director of the South Oakland Homeless Shelter and was advised they will not deny MMMP participants access to services or placement at the shelter, with a caveat regarding "being under the influence", but denying testing positive being the sole cause. He did however go on to explain they had, just this morning, denied access to someone wishing to possess plants while residing at the shelter. Any details regarding your situation that doesn't jibe with his response? Just trying to get a clear understanding before condemning.

Good follow up

Thanks Wayne, I just had a great talk with the Executive Director also. He's going to introduce a policy allowing MMJ pateints equal access to the shelter. He's just trying to figure out what documentation(in addition to the card)he should require to exempt patients from positive test results. I was told that this was the very first time they had to deal with this issue. I anticipate that their going to do the right thing. I don't know anything about plants, probably the guy who I talked to this morning exagerated what was actually said (I don't own any plants).

Sure glad to hear they're changing their formerly "less-enlightened" policies! : )

Way to Advocate!

I was just about to quote a couple of ancient truths, such as: "You will know them by their fruits"; But, since there now appears to be a positive "policy shift" at the Mission/Shelter, perhaps a bit more fitting revelation would be found here: http://bible.cc/ezekiel/18-21.htm

And, As Our "PEEPS" thriving on the edge of the Iron Country Faultline like to proclaim, in faith:

"It's a KIND UNIVERSE!"

Ditto that, eh?!

Be FREE!

Archived