Pro's And Con's Of Having Family Members As Patients

DaisyDoo

Hi Everyone,

Just getting started as a caregiver. I have my first patient and we're plugging along with the grow process. My question is for other caregivers and if they have family members (other than their spouse) as patients. I have a cousin who is planning on getting their patient card. I haven't said anything to anyone yet about my new career, in particular my extended family and frankly, I doubt I ever will if I don't have to. That being said, are there disadvantages to being a caregiver to a family member or friends who have their cards? I ask because my husband is in the building trades and anytime he has been asked to do work for friends or family, they always seem to expect it either for free or with a huge discount. Has anyone run into this situation as a caregiver?

Thanks to anyone who has some personal insight into this.

Hi Everyone,

Just getting started as a caregiver. I have my first patient and we're plugging along with the grow process. My question is for other caregivers and if they have family members (other than their spouse) as patients. I have a cousin who is planning on getting their patient card. I haven't said anything to anyone yet about my new career, in particular my extended family and frankly, I doubt I ever will if I don't have to. That being said, are there disadvantages to being a caregiver to a family member or friends who have their cards? I ask because my husband is in the building trades and anytime he has been asked to do work for friends or family, they always seem to expect it either for free or with a huge discount. Has anyone run into this situation as a caregiver?

Just write up a contract /agreement. I have learned that is the best thing to do. I have heard other horror stories like yours and none of them end happily. Just get your agreement and make sure it is fair.....for him especially for you!

Hi Everyone,

Family is family!

As a patient, I would only hire a close friend or relative, and I expect free or greatly reduced prices. I would never ask for any kind of accounting for how much said friend or relative actually grew though. I scratch your back you scratch mine.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. And I realize that it can always be a catch-22 dealing with family, they will either love you for what you do or badmouth you to the rest of the family and no one will sit with you at the family reunion picnic!

Hi Everyone,

this can be benifical depending on how your family works they can help or hinder mine love to get there discount by triming :) u scratch my back ill scratch yours kinda deal just make sure they know ahead of time just what the buisness relationship is gonna be

Archived