Grand Rapids Police Find Weapons In Raid Of Licensed Medical Marijuana Caregiver, Fear Other Growers Are Stepping Beyond Law

By John Tunison | The Grand Rapids Press

May 12, 2010, 6:57PM

Grand Rapids police find weapons in raid of licensed medical marijuana caregiver, fear other growers are stepping beyond law

GRAND RAPIDS -- Inside his small home on Houseman Avenue NE, Randolph Oom -- a licensed medical marijuana grower -- was a drug dealer in disguise, police say.

Under the guise of Michigan's medical marijuana licensing, he sold marijuana to people without proper medical credentials and sometimes traded marijuana for methadone pills that he sold for profit, police said.

But the most troubling discovery, police say, were the five military-style rifles, loaded magazines and altered handgun they found in a search of his home April 27.

Police say confidentiality laws protecting licensed growers are complicating their investigations. And they fear operations such as Oom's -- medical marijuana providers allegedly stepping beyond the law -- are far too common.

Continued here

My Commentary...

First, I don't understand how police photos become available to newspapers before they're shown to jurors in court? Doesn't that kinda prejudice the jury pool?

So what if he had guns, even the dreaded "assault rifle". Almost all of us in Michigan have guns, it's a constitutional right that was paid for at great cost. I just reread the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and could not find any reference to banning survivalists from becoming caregivers, or prohibiting patients or caregivers from owning or possesing firearms.

Beyond that, having an unregistered firearm with the serial number rubbed out, and trading cannabis for illegal perscription narcotics to unregistered patients, are actions even I can't defend. I hope for his sake those allegations prove to be false.

I would just like to add, if you plan on becoming a licensed caregiver for real sick people, please cease any unlawful transactions you may have engaged in previously. Being a caregiver means not being a street dealer.

Stay safe friends...

part two of the story...

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – Police in Grand Rapids have busted a man for running a medical marijuana operation they say is in violation of the law.

Police got a tip that Randolph Oom was selling pot out of his house in Grand Rapids. Oom claims he's legally authorized to grow medical marijuana, but officers say he was in violation of a state law requiring the drugs to be in a locked facility.

Oom claims he's licensed to grow, but admits he also sold to people not authorized to buy.

The Mid-Michigan Compassion Club in Grand Rapids doesn't sell marijuana, but they say those that do, should do it legally. However, narcotics agents say in most cases, that's just not happening.

Oom claims he's being picked on by authorities after they raided his home and found him to be in violation of Michigan's medical marijuana law.

The Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team says the problem is that Oom is not alone, they say four out of the five marijuana operations they've investigated have been in violation of the law.

“Of the five, there's only been one that the individuals were in compliance with the law,” said Chuck Dewitt of the Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team, “they had the proper number of plants for the cards that they had, the proper allotment of usable marijuana, and they were in fact not selling to individuals they were not allowed to.”

In order to be in compliance with the law, providers can only have twelve plants per patient, and those plants must be in an enclosed, locked facility.

“It's frustrating to me,” said Amy Lovejoy of the Mid-Michigan Compassion Club.

Lovejoy and others at the Compassion Club get help to eligible people who have qualified with the state for medical marijuana. She says dispensers who break the law hurt their reputation.

“When you've got somebody that is going about doing it the wrong way, it brings us down,” said Lovejoy. “It puts a bad name when we're trying to make a good name.”

Lovejoy says they are trying to educate people to do things the right way.

“We really want everybody who is illegal to be legal,” said Lovejoy.

Authorities say Oom wasn't even looking to be legal.

“This individual was definitely taking advantage of the situation and selling it,” said Dewitt.

very disturbing and not good for our community!

I have been involved with marijuana for most of my life! I am a qualified patient, I chose to come above ground and use mm as a great alternative to narcotics, I realy dont agree with the limits in the law, but since I chose to come above ground, I feel I need to stay within the law, I dont think im any better than people who choose to stay underground, Please If you are a registered patient or c.g try and stay within the laws, We Need to change those numbers around and make it at least 4 out of 5 are staying within their limits!

Im wondering why kent county is the only leo that has posted these kind of numbers! Is this realy true? or is this propaganda made up bye that agressive anti mm po po agency?

The media spins because spin sells.

We can do the same thing. We need members to be more involved.

Food drives, toy drives, visit hospitals, public clean up days and anything that will show us low lifes in a good light. Kill em with kindness.

The media spins because spin sells.

We can do the same thing. We need members to be more involved.

Food drives, toy drives, visit hospitals, public clean up days and anything that will show us low lifes in a good light. Kill em with kindness.

yes we can do that but they wont print it as fast,the bad news always moves faster than good news.and even so theyll make crap up about us giving.i feel they use us a the punching bag.we just gotta hang in there...god bless

"The Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team says the problem is that Oom is not alone, they say four out of the five marijuana operations they've investigated have been in violation of the law."

Ok but is that "their view of legal" or "ours"?

LEO has said no MM card then your not legal even with paperwork.

"The Kent Area Narcotics Enforcement Team says the problem is that Oom is not alone, they say four out of the five marijuana operations they've investigated have been in violation of the law."

Ok but is that "their view of legal" or "ours"?

LEO has said no MM card then your not legal even with paperwork.

the problem with leo is they dont read thier own laws,i know they dont.i use to work here in the local jail befor i got my cancer,and in most cases,when anyone was booked,the arresting officer was looking up the laws after they picked them up.i thought that was crap.they should have to know the laws too if they expect us to know it.

Police say confidentiality laws protecting licensed growers are complicating their investigations.

Just another part of the law they wish to ignore. I guess I can see that could be a problem for them.

It would make it difficult to capture every single pot head in the state.

Whoever said that kind of thing believes every patient and caregiver should be in jail.

As anyone noticed that LEO doesn’t put a street value on the plants they confiscate anymore.

If the guy was selling services to people that weren’t MMJ cardholders or qualifying patients then he was in the wrong. I think we can all agree with that.

I am very confused as why our City and Township officials find it necessary to prevent a person from opening a legal business to help other people. Have they not driven through their towns to see all the empty building? Do they not need the TAX revenue?

After 1+ years only 5 investigated?….there are 1000’s (that’s productive tax money) they say 4 out of 5 were not following the law. I would be curious to see how these 4 were in the wrong.

All be safe, God bless

4 out of 5 my donkey.... Shows ya the direction these knuckle heads are going with this.

Next they'll be saying we all sell to school kids and it's out of control. Same crap as always..

"

What we need to realize is that GOOD NEWS dose not make the 6:oo news!! The overall ratio of illegal VS legal Is nowhare near 4 out of 5! But, that is not the news that gets reported! The bad sticks out like a sore thumb!

We ALL need to be legal so the voters don't turn on us. If you are not legal, you art not one of us.

4 out of 5 my donkey.... Shows ya the direction these knuckle heads are going with this.

Next they'll be saying we all sell to school kids and it's out of control. Same crap as always..

What we need to realize is that GOOD NEWS dose not make the 6:oo news!! The overall ratio of illegal VS legal Is nowhare near 4 out of 5! But, that is not the news that gets reported! The bad sticks out like a sore thumb!

We ALL need to be legal so the voters don't turn on us. If you are not legal, you art not one of us.

what gets me is they talk about this drug war,well we as sick people should even be in it,is the war on drugs the people vs the government,or is the legal vs illegal .my point is were not the problem here,if we are not breaking law then there should be no war for us ,the legal ones,the war should be government vs illegal,thats the bottom line...

Good to see ya again Brad

Thanks John...

I never really left but I did get busy. I've been working on the Great Lakes Medical Cannabis Expo. A formal announcement will come in a couple days and our lineup will rock you!

BTW, we have a FREE 4 foot table and 1 chair for all compassion clubs at the event so everyone can participate. August 13 - 15 at Rock Financial Showplace in Novi.

Brief peek...

Live broadcast with WRIF

T.V. shows will be taped there

National musical acts Friday and Saturday

Cannabinoid Learning Center

Famous speakers

The first ever "Med Trailer"

Plus a ton more!

Tickets $15 includes venue service fees

Parking $5/vehicle

Again, a formal announcement will come soon. Mark your calendars for this one, it's gonna blaze!

@stonecrow "i use to work here in the local jail"

kinda funny ur pic at 1st looked to me like there were bars behind u.

thats funny,no i used to have hair and just a mustash,the cancer kinda took a little off the top,so now i just shave it,lol.being in corrections isnt all that great,no fun seeing your friends in jail.

I may be stupid but HOW THE HELL are the cops finding the CG's?

Because people dont know how to keep their mouths shut going around telling everyone that will listen that they are legal eventualy someone gets jealous of your status and drop a dime to crimestoppers .

Archived