Was Willie Nelson's Band Targeted?

By Laurin Penland (2010-05-13)

WHQR 91.3fm

Was Willie Nelson's Band Targeted?

WILMINGTON, NC (whqr) - Eyewitness accounts and released documents surrounding North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement's bust of Willie Nelson's band back in January, raise questions on whether or not the band was targeted.

Former director of the Duplin County Events Center John Vogt and his attorney Ken Thompson both say the night Willie Nelson's band was busted for moonshine and marijuana ALE agents walked straight back to the area where the band's bus was parked.

Emails show the ALE planned a special operation two weeks in advance in which they requested help from a narcotics unit. Interviews and testimony confirm the ALE named the bust "Operation on the Road Again."

Willie Nelson is a well known advocate for legalizing marijuana. But ALE agent Ted Carlton, who refused to be recorded for an interview, says the agency did not target Willie Nelson's band. The ALE also arrested eight people who were not in the band for open containers.

As a result of the ALE's raid, three band members pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges and paid twenty five dollar fees. The charges against the other three members were dropped. The Duplin Events Center lost its major acts once word of the bust got out. Its staff has been fired, and its fate is now up in the air.

Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. news@whqr.org

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/whqr/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1648584/Local.Interest/Was..Willie.Nelson's.Band.Targeted

My Commentary....

For Pete's sake, what did they think would happen? Just because one prick cop said, "hey let's go phuck with Willy Nelson", a hundred people lose their jobs.

We need to flood our representatives with emails, letters and phone calls calling for an end to the funding for these goon squads. Our senators, Levin and Stebanow both crowed about getting more money for the goon task forces some months ago. Please let them know you're not happy with our tax dollars going to goon squads that violate the civil rights of Michigan citizens or any one else in this country.

Carl Levin ~ levin.senate.gov/contact/

Debbie Stebanow ~ stabenow.senate.gov/email.htm

Hey great post!! and I agree there needs to be an end to these "Goons" and their hit squads...... Maybe they should focus their efforts on something that would benefit society like all the illegal narcotics that come across our borders everyday from Mexican Mafia or others... Or how about some of the obvious domestic type issues with methamphetamine's, Heroin, and others.

Why would they focus on the REALLY terrifying things like Crystal Meth and Heroine, when they can go after Marijuana?

It's easier to smell, it's a little harder to hide, AND with "easy" targets like well known supporters, they know exactly WHO to hit up...........

It's kinda like a sucker punch.................

WOW~~ and we are supposed to be fascinated with all their wonderful drug busts? I'll be happy when all the Crack houses are gone.

Go work on that.

Why would they focus on the REALLY terrifying things like Crystal Meth and Heroine, when they can go after Marijuana?

It's easier to smell, it's a little harder to hide, AND with "easy" targets like well known supporters, they know exactly WHO to hit up...........

It's kinda like a sucker punch.................

WOW~~ and we are supposed to be fascinated with all their wonderful drug busts? I'll be happy when all the Crack houses are gone.

Go work on that.

First of all, kudos to you Brad for posting this article.

Secondly, I offer my heartfelt congratulations on setting up the event at EXPO Center in Novi.

Lastly, I agree with everything IrishGreen just said.

Happy Friday!

The sun is shining! :D

Mizerman

p.s. I did smoke weed with Willie and would love to do so again...we talked about golf for 20 minutes and the Texas Longhorns the rest of the time. B)

Guest Wayne

Demilitarization of a para-military force charged with protecting the American public? What the hell have you people been smoking? Sounds like opium dreams to me.

Archived