What Say You About Leds?

Much like CFLs, people either love or hate LED so let's here it.

I'm currently using CFLs and am hoping to make my next big purchase an LED system. Then use a couple CFLs for side lighting, as I will only be doing 2-3 plants at a time.

My biggest question is about the "LED UFOs" on ebay. They tend to run around $150-$200 compared to $400+ on hydro sites, anyone have experience with these? Any reliable brands or vendors to look for?

My biggest reason for the LED is low power consumption as well as emitting little heat. With 6 CFLs my temp is holding right around 80, and I already know I will need at least 2 more for flowering. So instead of investing in improving the exhaust with an expensive blower, why not just invest in cooler running lighting.

Here's my take on LED... Good for veg..... the puck style ufo's like you described aren't that great for flower... Not enough canopy penetration... and not enough lumens.... but I have heard good thing's about veg.... Now on the other hand you start getting into the H.O. panels they have out now that run about $1,500.... Maybe.... Maybe... They have some impressive numbers they are bringing in.... and boy are they bright.... even for the monies your talking about on ebay $150-$200 you can get a lightly used dual HID system... But then as you stated the heat issue. so toss in a fan and while your at it how about a carbon filter... why not...$$$$$ Good luck man. I hope you find something that works for you.. Peace..

Ya that's about what I've heard, but at the same time I've seen some grow journals with only LED for flower and the plants look no different than those grown with MH/HPS set ups.

I went to a hydro store a while back and they had some UFOs set up, I made the mistake of looking directly at the LEDs and they were shockingly bright.

Now at the same time like I said, I'm only doing 2 plants maybe 3 in the future and I keep them small so I'm thinking it would be work perfect for my needs, then take into account I would have 2700k CFLs as side lighting, It should be overkill.

Thanks for the reply. It's going to be a while before I decide so all the info I can get will be helpful.

I am in the process of setting up a area for a grow room...the LED is a positive factor due to the heat and venting...really saving some green right there! I spoke with this company and I watched a time lapse...and it was awesome...check out this place...they are very helpful...and actually answer the phone in person!

www.sunhine-systems.com

Angel of Nursey B)

I am in the process of setting up a area for a grow room...the LED is a positive factor due to the heat and venting...really saving some green right there! I spoke with this company and I watched a time lapse...and it was awesome...check out this place...they are very helpful...and actually answer the phone in person!

www.sunhine-systems.com

Angel of Nursey B)

I've checked out Sunshine-systems but the price is too high for me. If I go LED it's going to have to be a system off Ebay, I'm really hoping someone will see this who has bought a ebay unit they can recommend. Though the grow panels at Sunshine are interesting, I may consider getting one of those for side lighting (back lighting technically) then my 6 CFLs should be enough for main lighting.

Archived