Police Raid Medical Marijuana Facility

http://www.hollandse...ijuana-facility

Police raid medical marijuana facility

By ANDREA GOODELL The Holland Sentinel Posted May 15, 2010 @ 05:30 AM Holland, MI — Police raided a medical marijuana facility Thursday afternoon.

No charges have been brought against the owners of West Michigan Medical Services and Supplies, their attorney Michael Komorn said.

He hopes to keep it that way for Ken Baker and Nicole Rutherford, who are patients themselves and own the business.

Police did not return calls for comment Friday.

It seems representatives from the Holland Police Department came to the office sometime Thursday and said the department would like to work with the business to ensure everything was legal, Komorn said. Later, it appears, the Allegan County Sheriff’s Department began pulling over people leaving the business at 4284 Blue Star Highway in Fillmore Township.

One man leaving the office had marijuana, but was not certified by the state as a medical marijuana patient, Komorn said he was told. The man had given West Michigan Medical Services and Supplies a check for $250 to process his paperwork with the state. Apparently based on the man’s statements, drug task force, West Michigan Enforcement Team, raided the business, but have not commented for this article. Baker and Rutherford apparently offered to allow police to compare the seized pot with 2 ounces they had on site. That, too was seized, along with money and office equipment.

All of this is hearsay, Komorn said, because police have made no arrests and filed no affidavits.

“I’m hoping to have an open-minded discussion with law enforcement and explain why I believe my clients were within the law,” said Komorn, who is also on the board of directors of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association.

Baker suffered a back injury 25 years ago. His fiancee, Nicole Rutherford, injured her spine in 2000.

The Holland office is a satellite company of Green Trees of Detroit. They offer pre-screening for potential patients, exams for state medical marijuana certification, education and — possibly soon — medical marijuana.

They hope to connect patients with care givers.

In an interview last month, Baker said they want to discourage irresponsible behavior such as driving with marijuana in the car. They want to educate people, he said.

“It’s not just here’s your marijuana, have fun,” he said.

Both selling and buying marijuana is still illegal in the state said James McCurtis with the Michigan Department of Community Health.

A patient can have up to 12 plants and 2.5 ounces of useable marijuana. A caregiver can have up to five patients.

People were at West Michigan Medical Services and Supplies Thursday to acquire medical marijuana, to sign up to become patients, to get information on the state program created last year.

They were searched, but no one was arrested.

“I don’t think patients should be treated this way, and I don’t think the voters wanted them to be treated this way,” the Southfield-based attorney said.

Copyright 2010 The Holland Sentinel. Some rights reserved

i think the question should be ,why did the police think that they had the right to start pulling over people that stopped there in the first place,that would be like stopping folks that went to a liquor place to see if they've been drinking,you just can't do it..,leo just sucks,,i live not far from this place,i'll drive in and out a dozen times and give them a full day of dealing with me,,that'll give them a head ache..lol..anyone know if they still have the doors open?..zb

I have to wonder if the guy the cops pulled over flipped on the clinic?

I have been told he did not flip.

Instead he stated he did not get the Marijuana at the Holland Clinic

However the pigs used his incident as probable cause to raid our brothers and sisters safe haven...

When will this stop?

It will stop when we make it stop...

The old establishment will not let their hate of Medical Marijuana go...

We have to make them go away from their power...

We do that at the ballot box and with the recall pettition.

We are in a Culture War.

We will win the way we won in 2008

At the Ballot Box!

This is going to be common. History tends to repeat itself. Just like in Cali, they will raid the place, take all the equipment, medicine, money, computers, ect., and then leave. Not arresting anyone or charging them at that time. It is called intimidation/harrasment. Leaving you in doubt whether you will be charged or not is a scare tactic LEO plays. That is why they are the scum of the earth and I have no respect for them. A Shrink from Hollywood who was contracted to the LAPD told me the only difference between LEO and the criminal was they carried a badge. He said they have some mental imbalance that draws them to that side of evil. They are THE LARGEST GANG in America, and they will only protect themselves......right or wrong. TO PROTECT AND SERVE.............what a joke! My .02

The Gangsters of America...

Policing for Profit

I have been told he did not flip.

Instead he stated he did not get the Marijuana at the Holland Clinic

However the pigs used his incident as probable cause to raid our brothers and sisters safe haven...

When will this stop?

It will stop when we make it stop...

The old establishment will not let their hate of Medical Marijuana go...

We have to make them go away from their power...

We do that at the ballot box and with the recall pettition.

We are in a Culture War.

We will win the way we won in 2008

At the Ballot Box!

It is up to us to stop it!

zip give them hell! wink.gif

I know theres egotistical cops out there, theres bully cops, dumb cops -snip-

Perhaps he should have said something like:

"And when they concluded they should be abusive toward those they swore to serve, they became pigs."

Didn't "they" demand a war against the general population?

Whining about police tactics isn't going to solve anything, storming Lansing isn't going to get it done. Elections are still a ways off.

It is up to us.

For everyone out there contemplating or in the process of launching any sort of clinic, compassion center, dispensary, whatever, YOU HAVE TO BE PROACTIVE AND SMART ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING! It is not enough to just be with in the law, you need to operate as if you will be raided at any time and can cover your every move. Unless a big legal pissing match is your sort of fun.

As Indica Jones pointed out, this is not new, nor will it change any time soon. There are 14 years worth of raid records available, with a lot to learn from them.

I am sorry the folks in Holland are going through this, but it appears from this information they may have made some structural errors in their operation model.

One man leaving the office had marijuana, but was not certified by the state as a medical marijuana patient, ... had given West Michigan Medical Services and Supplies a check for $250 to process his paperwork with the state.

2 ounces they had on site.

Is there a physician at this location? If there is, for the sake of his/her license, you NEED to read Conant v Waters. Regardless, it is just bad practice to have non-registered patient activity and a quantity of medication in the same location.

Ok, so they did. Now they may have to account for non-registered patient caught with a quantity of medication exiting a business that has a quantity of medication.

What are they going to do to cover their butts if the police lab comes back saying it's the same stuff? It could happen. Do they have cameras? They should, all over the place showing every nook and cranny. "See, Mr. Police officer (or Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury), Joe Blow comes in we discuss his paperwork, he writes a check and goes on his merry way into your awaiting web."

It costs a lot of time and money to open a business. Everyone knows that some leos are bad news, we know police are being misinformed about the act, we know they are arresting and raiding all over. Why let the police destroy your business with organizational short sightedness and bad practices? Be smart.

At least M. Komorn is having a good time.

If we stereotype all law enforcement then we are no better than the leo who do it to us. The big picture is we are going to have to coexist with law enforcement. I don't want them as my enemy I want them to protect me & my family. A war on Leo will be almost as useless as the war on drugs.

A war on their policy's toward mmj & patients is a different matter.......

Cops are like the military in that they have a collective mind when it comes to their job and the boots on the ground are not in control. In the old days they could think for themselves ( had bags & beer dumped out more then once as a kid). Now a days law suits & insurance requirements have them cutting people little slack.

And then of course there's the ones that don't get it and never will, but every community has those............

Guest finallyfree09

why is the dept of community health telling people that it is illegal to buy and sell marijuana in the state??? it may be illegal to sell but as a patient i have the right to acquire it wherever i can. I would just love to grab them and say "i am protected by the law ya bunch of boneheads!!! get it right!"

Guest Wayne

These are the same police assigned to special units as undercover officers. They are then instructed to behave exactly like another group that citizen's fear. They first gain your confidence and trust, cozy up to your friends and family if possible. Once they have you convinced they can be trusted, you think of them as friend, or better yet like family, they try sticking their finger in your 10 yr old............. I mean they bust down your door and shoot your dogs.

Having friends on differant forces, and an uncle who serverd 28 years for Furndale I hate to here them refered to as pigs. Same way you dont want to be called a dope head. You smoke marijuana, does this make you a pot head. Why does everyone get behind the people pushing the laws. read the law and use it as it says. Until you can change it. Or you will mess it up for the legal people.

Guest Wayne

Let us not forget that dispensaries are clearly provided for under Proposal 1 and the MMMP administrative rules. Just read the law it's clear and unambiguous on medical marijuana dispensaries, Compassion Club medical marijuana distributorships, and Cannabis Marts. We shall soon have these legally sanctified businesses popping up in competition like Wal Green's and Rite Aid's.

Let us not forget that dispensaries are clearly provided for under Proposal 1 and the MMMP administrative rules. Just read the law it's clear and non ambiguous on medical marijuana dispenseries, Compassion Club distributorships, and Cannabis Marts. We shall soon have these legally sanctified businesses popping up in competetion like Wal Green's and Rite Aid's.

Where does it say that. You must have a differant copy. I want to start a dispensary,

Not all cops are pigs ron! My dad was a Detroit police officer, and I really take offense to that .

I know theres egotistical cops out there, theres bully cops, dumb cops, an the guy that shot an killed my dads partner years ago,well he called that officer (officer Todd Michael was a new father )a pig.

So ron or anyone else for that matter before you go bashing all cops, remember this, they put their lives on the line for us everyday

420Peace Cindy,

Yes, not all Police Officers are pigs.

I believe you when you say your Dad was a Police Officer.

Those the raided our brothers and sisters in Holland give pigs a bad name...

More Like Natzies.

Because when you take medicine and money away from sick people...

That is a Crime against Humanity!

Let us not forget that dispensaries are clearly provided for under Proposal 1 and the MMMP administrative rules. Just read the law it's clear and unambiguous on medical marijuana dispensaries, Compassion Club medical marijuana distributorships, and Cannabis Marts. We shall soon have these legally sanctified businesses popping up in competition like Wal Green's and Rite Aid's.

Can I vote for you? :)

Archived