Where To Take Clone Cuttings From Plant

first mate

Need to know where to take cuttings from the plant for clones ,I'm getting conflicting advice .....I've been told from the top of the plant is best because the stem isn't as woody and it grows roots quicker ....another thing is the rockwool thing ...when I purchased the rockwool I was told to make sure the top of the block is covered and not exposed or mold will occur ....why can't I just put the cuttings directly into my growing medium after I've applied my rooting compound to the cuttings and forego the rockwool.....any advice is greatly appreciated (newbie) firstmate...thanks in advance

I take cuttings from the bottom of my plants, usually from the bottoms of the plants about to go into flower (known female plants)You should remove some of the lower growth anyway before flowering as those branches wont receive much light. Removing those lower branches will also help the tops grow larger as well. The bottom branches of the plant root faster, because they are LESS woody than the tops btw.

I used to use rockwool, (stick with rockwool if your going to grow in rockwool) then I switched to rapid rooters. Rapid rooters are better in many ways. You can use rockwool if you already have it, dont worry about the algae (its not mold) if your going to transplant into soil after they root.

Another easy method is to make a bubble or aero cloner, just google it and you will find many ways to make one for real cheap.

Yes you can put cuttings directly into your growing medium if its inert (no fertilizer or very light ferts) after you use your rooting compound. Just put some type of dome over the cutting for the first week or more. I used to do this with 3 cups the same size, 2 clear ones and one blue one, put the plant in the medium into the clear cup then put that cup into the blue cup. You can then take the clear cup out to see if there are roots. Use the 3rd clear cup for the top humidity dome. You can also use regular growing trays with humidity domes, aquariums with glass lids, etc. its all easy to do.

I take cuttings from the bottom of my plants, usually from the bottoms of the plants about to go into flower (known female plants)You should remove some of the lower growth anyway before flowering as those branches wont receive much light. Removing those lower branches will also help the tops grow larger as well. The bottom branches of the plant root faster, because they are LESS woody than the tops btw.

I used to use rockwool, (stick with rockwool if your going to grow in rockwool) then I switched to rapid rooters. Rapid rooters are better in many ways. You can use rockwool if you already have it, dont worry about the algae (its not mold) if your going to transplant into soil after they root.

Another easy method is to make a bubble or aero cloner, just google it and you will find many ways to make one for real cheap.

Yes you can put cuttings directly into your growing medium if its inert (no fertilizer or very light ferts) after you use your rooting compound. Just put some type of dome over the cutting for the first week or more. I used to do this with 3 cups the same size, 2 clear ones and one blue one, put the plant in the medium into the clear cup then put that cup into the blue cup. You can then take the clear cup out to see if there are roots. Use the 3rd clear cup for the top humidity dome. You can also use regular growing trays with humidity domes, aquariums with glass lids, etc. its all easy to do.

i would say thats is the right way thanks for helping out i could not say it any better i would not waite any more then 10 days in to flowering

There is also a scientific reason to take cuttings from the bottom of the plant, as opposed to the top. Plants have a chemical messenger service in them called auxins. Auxins instruct plants how to grow. The auxin concentration at the top of the plant is telling the cells to reach out for the light and grow nice green leafy material, while the auxins at the bottom of the plant are concentrating on telling the plant that it needs to send out new roots and improve the rooting structure of the plant. IMHO these factors alone make taking cuttings from the bottom section of the plant make sense. And as was stated above, it also rids the plant of materials that would likely not result in very much buddage. Win/win situation...Peace...j.b.

I would agree, hormones at bottom are better for cloning.

Tried a few things, Rapid rooters work best for me too...

My question is at what node (on the branch) and how do you pick your clone for the best structure that may provide the best yield ? I notice that all grow different & some produce more....

100% safe spot:

(pic compliments of google image search)

WinterGarden_CutClone.jpg

when you take clones from mother plants, they can be taken nearly anywhere on the plant, but yes, you guys are right, if i am taking clones from a plant that came from seed, i will always use the bottom 2 or 3 sets.

Thanks to everyone for all the info....very informative, a lot of knowledgable growers out there!!!....what a very cool site this is, everybody seems more than willing to help novice growers like myself....can't thank you enough.....firstmate

Hormones are newer near the bottom of the plant and your cuttings will root faster from cuttings taken from this area as apposed to the top where the hormones are older. I take my cuttings from the bottom, because the bible said so, and they work fine. I cut them at a 45 degree angle just an inch below the bottom leaf set and remove the bottom leaves off the cutting. Then I dip in powdered rooting compound and put them immediately into a hole in the soil I made previously. Then I spritz them with water, and spritz the soil making sure it has enough water but don't drench it. Then I cover the cutting with the cut off bottom of a plastic two liter bottle. I have used green plastic, and clear plastic, and they both seem to work just fine. My little ones have a good root system on them after 7-10 days. I put them directly under the HPS light with their dome on until they are a week old. Then I take the dome off and keep an eye on it. If the roots aren't great by then, it will start to wilt within minutes. If it does start to wilt, put the dome back on and give it a few more days. After I know it's all good, the plant looks healthy, doesn't wilt, then I put it into the air stream and let that stalk thicken up. Everyone has their own way of doing things, try and see what works for you.

----Nemo

. Another easy method is to make a bubble or aero cloner, just google it and you will find many ways to make one for real cheap

bubble cloners ftw. mine cost $16 and roots on average in 3-7 days. i just let it shoot a few roots then go straight into dirt cups.

and the auxin thing is true. my purple kush roots 4 days everytime but if i cut off a lower branch it shows root bumps in 2.

1stmate,you've just rec'd advice from some of the best growers on the site,looks like helping hands are reaching out,this a great thing for the MMMA and us all...and thats all i have to say on the subject..lol..zb

Thanks alot for all the info....this is way too cool....like I said I grew outdoors way back in the late 60's....maybe visited your plot 4 timkes during the growing season and the 1st was planting and the last was harvest!!!.....ferts and prunning in between....thanks again ...firstnmate

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this also and my question is this? The blooming process takes how long? And does the lighting need to be 12 0r 18? Thanks.

12 hours on 12 hours off, when its dark don't interupt it. About 2 months and maybe a few more weeks depending on the strain, Indica finishes earlier than a Sativa, but if you got a mix probably 8-10 weeks flowering.

• 1 month later...

There is also a scientific reason to take cuttings from the bottom of the plant, as opposed to the top. Plants have a chemical messenger service in them called auxins. Auxins instruct plants how to grow. The auxin concentration at the top of the plant is telling the cells to reach out for the light and grow nice green leafy material, while the auxins at the bottom of the plant are concentrating on telling the plant that it needs to send out new roots and improve the rooting structure of the plant. IMHO these factors alone make taking cuttings from the bottom section of the plant make sense. And as was stated above, it also rids the plant of materials that would likely not result in very much buddage. Win/win situation...Peace...j.b.

Right on the money JustBudz.

100% safe spot:

(pic compliments of google image search)

WinterGarden_CutClone.jpg

when you take clones from mother plants, they can be taken nearly anywhere on the plant, but yes, you guys are right, if i am taking clones from a plant that came from seed, i will always use the bottom 2 or 3 sets.

This plant looks like it has thrip damage.

Archived