Chubutta's Medical Grow

I am using a 1000w Sun System in a 6" air cooled reflector. The Tent is actually 5x5 but I have them a little closer together for more direct light. Temp is currently 72 degrees and humidity is 75%. I just put another fan in the grow tent to try and get the humidity down. Should I invest in a dehumidifier??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent setup. You will have some very nice yields my friend. I would expect more than an ounce per plant...

The temperature and humidity are perfect. 75% Humidity is perfectly fine. I wouldn't bother with a dehumidifier as it's not necessary at all.

The best way to get the humidity to drop, if you really want to, is to simply open the tent and let it air out a little. Unless the humidity of the area where the tent is located is the same. Then you may want to think about getting some Arm&Hammer baking soda, putting it in a decent sized bowl and setting it down near the floor somewhere in the room. Baking soda will help keep humidity levels down a little.

Other than that you could just turn some of your fans OFF actually and let the temperature rise a little. The humidity will rise at first but then once you turn your fans back on and the area cools again, the humidity will be much lower...

There are as many strong opinions on how to grow cannabis as there are cannabis strains or more. I am only telling you what has worked for me. I am still learning lots and I still consider my self a beginner. I do all of my trimming/super cropping when my plants are still in veg. "If you remove the source of food it will struggle to make more leaves and new growth." If done at the right time new growth is a good thing. You have to weigh the benefits to having bud sites exposed to the light against the temporary shock to the metabolism. I would not trim at all during mid-late flower. You will be fine since you took those fan leaves off in very early flower.

Bubble grower has a post somewhere that tells what the right distance is from lights to plant tops. It even has diagrams. Check his posts or contact him to find it.

I know that this plant benefited from being topped. I also tied down the branches LST style for a bit to get more bud sites.

med_gallery_12686_91_1156320.jpg

done under T8 bulbs and Cfls while my 1K hps ballast is hopefully getting fixed.

If a plant has a huge main cola you don't want to cut it off. Like I said before some strains can benefit from topping, but supper cropping gets the same results as topping with out losing the main cola. If you can get the remaining branches to be as big as the original top why would you not want to have four main colas? I did have four, but I had a bit of heat stress/bulb burn on one and had to cut it off.

I would be concerned out 75% humididy, it is too high. Sounds like you need an exhaust fan to exchange air. With humidity that high it is hard for the plants to transpire,

abI would be concerned out 75% humididy, it is too high. Sounds like you need an exhaust fan to exchange air. With humidity that high it is hard for the plants to transpire,

I am using a 1000w Sun System in a 6" air cooled reflector. The Tent is actually 5x5 but I have them a little closer together for more direct light. Temp is currently 72 degrees and humidity is 75%. I just put another fan in the grow tent to try and get the humidity down. Should I invest in a dehumidifier??

There are as many strong opinions on how to grow cannabis as there are cannabis strains or more. I am only telling you what has worked for me. I am still learning lots and I still consider my self a beginner. I do all of my trimming/super cropping when my plants are still in veg. "If you remove the source of food it will struggle to make more leaves and new growth." If done at the right time new growth is a good thing. You have to weigh the benefits to having bud sites exposed to the light against the temporary shock to the metabolism. I would not trim at all during mid-late flower. You will be fine since you took those fan leaves off in very early flower.

Here's the problem with that theory, and yes it is only a theory.

FACT: The flowers (buds) don't process light like the leaves do, they don't make energy with nutrients and light, they REQUIRE nutrients processed by the rest of the plant to grow...

The buds are simply new growth that feed off the energy and nutrients the leaves and roots process, similar to stem and stalk growth. A lot of people think that putting the buds in the light makes them get bigger. This is what I like to call a misunderstood placebo effect because when you put a particular branch closer to the light, the flower production on that branch DOES go up. But the increase in growth is contributed only by the leaves that are on that branch and the nutrients the roots absorb...

Do this, take a cannabis plant that has just begun flowering and rip ALL the leaves off. Not just a few here and there, take them ALL off. Put it right next to a plant of exact same origin that has had no pruning at all. Compare the yields. That reaction is the same that happens when you take only a few off, just not as harsh.

It's kind of like saying if you put a tomato in the light on a tomato plant and rip off some of its leaves the tomato will get bigger. blink.gif Does that make sense to you? laugh.gif

From a logical standpoint and through the knowledge I have acquired through multiple Botany classes I can assure you, if you remove leaves you are inevitably going to affect the plant growth in a negative way.

Again I hate to argue this but if you understood plant life from a scientific perspective you would understand why I do...

Ok about the plant you displayed. Here's the deal. If you would have NOT topped that plant and gently tied it down so it was a nice even canopy and more leaves got light (not buds. buds don't need light, they want food from the leaves and roots) your yield would have been either greater or equal to that of the mamed version...

Topping and pruning both REMOVE living mass from the plant. Any time you remove living material from a plant that living material either has to be replaced or repaired. Now granted a little bit here and there will not affect growth to the point where it will harm the plant detrimentally but it definitely doesn't HELP the plant. That's for sure. Even clipping off parts of the branches for cloning stresses the plant out. But the stress is minimal and the plant can heal quickly as it just seals off the cut.

But if you cut off too much, the plant will not have enough leaves to sustain itsself.

Cannabis is an annual flower, not a perrennial. It doesn't really have the ability to store nutrients to revive itsself. Cannabis plants just grow and develop on the go. So anything you do to that plant during that period of growth, will affect the end result.

If a plant has a huge main cola you don't want to cut it off. Like I said before some strains can benefit from topping, but supper cropping gets the same results as topping with out losing the main cola. If you can get the remaining branches to be as big as the original top why would you not want to have four main colas? I did have four, but I had a bit of heat stress/bulb burn on one and had to cut it off.

I estimate that about 95% of all cannabis plants will grow a cola on top. If you top it you remove that main cola before it even has a chance to develop. Yes, I agree, SOME strains do benefit from topping. But with roughly a 5% margin in which some of these strains actually don't produce a cola it kind of makes you wonder what the point in even bothering with it is... But yes, indeed there are SOME strains out there that actually benefit with increased yields from topping, I will not deny that.

HOWEVER, you could also get the same effect by letting it grow a little longer and taller. wink.gif

Ahh CMH bulbs eh?

They are awesome bulbs! Work very well for all around growth. Some of them do in fact produce light in the non-visible spectrum (UV)...

However, here is some basic info that may deter you from them:

Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are currently not available in sizes over 400 watts. Philips is working on it, however there is no ETA.

The CMH lamps 150w and lower should work with all digital ballasts of same wattage.

250w and 400w CMH lamps will NOT work with ANY digital ballast EXCEPT the ones SPECIFICALLY made to fire CMH lamps.

250w and 400w CMH lamps will work with most good quality 250w (ANSI S50) and 400w (ANSI S51) HPS ballasts.

My honest opinion though, don't bother. They are a lost cause. But yes, any added UVB light will stimulate the hormonal response which increases trichomes. The increase in trichomes has been directly related to an increase in THC and essential oils produced by the trichomes. It is theorized that THC is produced in the trichomes though there is very little scientific research on this...

If you want some REAL results from any kind of metal halide though, you should check out www.sunpulselamps.com...

They make Pulse Start Metal Halides that produce some AMAZING spectrums. I have made a post highlighting this bulb as one of my cultivation secrets to getting some of the best buds you can produce. They are FAR superior to HPS lights. Check it out - http://www.michiganm...rmers-secret-1/

I would be concerned out 75% humididy, it is too high. Sounds like you need an exhaust fan to exchange air. With humidity that high it is hard for the plants to transpire,

This is simply not true. So explain how all the plants outside survive when the humidity is almost constantly at or above 70% all summer...

Now if the humidity was hitting 80% or more then I would be concerned and in which case some type of better airflow would be the solution, indeed. But 75% is perfectly fine.

This is simply not true. So explain how all the plants outside survive when the humidity is almost constantly at or above 70% all summer...

Now if the humidity was hitting 80% or more then I would be concerned and in which case some type of better airflow would be the solution, indeed. But 75% is perfectly fine.

You say 75% is ok but not 80%. This high of humidity on an inside grow will lead to mildew issues, powdery mildew, even late season blight.

Never has for me. Maybe your grow area is unsanitary?

75% is fine. It's high but it's not too high. The difference between 75% and 80% humidity is quite different. 80% is like the tipping point for the stomata. But even then it's not going to kill the plant. But at 80% humidity you run the risk of mold forming in dense flower formations. It's best to keep it at or below 75%..

I maintain a 70% humidity level throughout the entire growth. From vege phase to bloom phase I keep my humidity at 70%...

But anyway, that's all for now. Best of luck to you all! cool.gif

It is always great to debate. I enjoy learning all of your different view points. I am using a Can fan that sucks the air out of the tent. The tent is in the basement though and it is pretty moist down there. I think if I wanted to lower humidity a dehumidifier would be my best bet. Like you said though Farmer, hotter temps is going to lower my humidity. Lately its been cool and rainy in my area so I think this is actually the highest I will see humidity in my tent. The HPS is warming up right now!

Blake thanks for the input on how high to keep the light, I will take a look at that.

I can't wait for these ladies to start budding!! I want to know the sex of the Strawberry Cough's and White Rhino's soon. How long should it take? The Green Spirit, White Widow, and SLH shot pistols/hairs right away. My question is on some female plants does the calyx grow a little bit before the pistol shoots out? Starting to get worried about all these plants!!

Peace

-Chewy

Never has for me. Maybe your grow area is unsanitary?

75% is fine. It's high but it's not too high. The difference between 75% and 80% humidity is quite different. 80% is like the tipping point for the stomata. But even then it's not going to kill the plant. But at 80% humidity you run the risk of mold forming in dense flower formations. It's best to keep it at or below 75%..

I maintain a 70% humidity level throughout the entire growth. From vege phase to bloom phase I keep my humidity at 70%...

But anyway, that's all for now. Best of luck to you all! cool.gif

Here are some pictures of my unsanitary flower room I just took. These plants have been in flower since 5/5, at that time they were 14 inches tall.

http://tinypic.com/r/29olamd/6 http://tinypic.com/r/5fi2qq/6

Here are some pictures of my unsanitary flower room I just took. These plants have been in flower since 5/5, at that time they were 14 inches tall.

http://tinypic.com/r/29olamd/6 http://tinypic.com/r/5fi2qq/6

Looking great. What are you running there? Lights? Strains? They really shot up! Those have only been flowering for a month? Massive growth. What nute regimen are you using?

I am excited to get my girls back under the 1k HPS with the Hortilux Super. I need to find Bubblegrowers lights distance post now too.

Looking great. What are you running there? Lights? Strains? They really shot up! Those have only been flowering for a month? Massive growth. What nute regimen are you using?

I am excited to get my girls back under the 1k HPS with the Hortilux Super. I need to find Bubblegrowers lights distance post now too.

Thanks you. I do take pride in what I do. The lights are 1000k agro sun red blubs. The hoods magnum XXXL. The room is 8 x 12 with 10 foot ceiling. No air or CO2. The strains in the picture are a mix, they include New york power diesiel, AK 48, Snow White, Lemon Haze, Blue Cheese, Master Kush,. I am just using General Hydro's Flora series. You're right they will explode the first two weeks in the flower room. They will triple in size, so I keep them on a full Grow nutes for the first two weeks in flower. This gives them the energy to get the size. I will admit I spent 160 dollars on Advanced Nutes to grow 8 plants thru a cycle, what a waste. One of the most important things is to keep things simple. Any questions feel free to ask. Any help ask also, I am a lincensed builder I can help with the construction issues also.

That is a real nice setup!! Great looking ladies you have there. So none of the Strawberry Cough's or White Rhino's have shot pistols yet. Check out this Strawberry, it looks nothing like the others, looks like a male/hermi to me? These are feminized seeds. Not the best camera sorry! Looks like a bunch of small sacks shooting out to me. What is your opinion?

Thanks

male.jpg

-Chewy

It looks like balls to me. Kinda hard to tell from that fuzzy pic. If they are grape like clusters on a little stalk then it is a male. Definitely get a second opinion before you chop. I would not breed with him. Fem seeds make horrible breeding stock. I recently learned that fem seeds are not always female. Don't worry about the others taking so long to show sex. I had a girl take 28 days to show this run. She is also showing sativa influence. I have a feeling that she is going to take a long time to finish. Strawberry cough is sativa dominant if I am not mistaken and they will probably take lots longer to show than an Indica.

Here is a picture. Sorry about quality. I took it under fluoros. I got my 1K HPS back up today B) This bud has a very airy structure, but I know that she will fill out a lot more. It is still early in flower for her. She has big trics on her fan leaf stems. Should make good hash.

med_gallery_12686_91_354029.jpg

I've noticed lately that on a few of my girls the tips on some of the leaves are slightly curled down. On one of the White Widow's the leaves appear to curl in and almost look like a claw. They are not flat. They don't look horrible but it does concern me. Possibly a PH issue from over watering? I am stilling having high humidity problems and am adding a dehumidifier to the tent tomorrow. They are due for straight water once the soil dries up nicely, hopefully when they get a good flush it will help them out.

That clawing of the leaves could be a number of issues. But from earlier images I would put my money on high Nitrogen levels in the soil. High nitrogen levels in the soil will cause that.

Just keep on plain water for about a week. No feeding. DON'T FLUSH THE SOIL. When you water your plants you should BARELY have anything run out of the bottom. A few drops is ok but it should never have run-off to the point where you have to clean up a bunch of water. You don't want to rinse all the nutrients out of your soil.

What I do is I slowly saturate the soil right at the base of each plant first. I go around to each one and do this. Let the water seep into the soil. Then continue going around to each plant and slowly water each one to make sure the soil gets saturated, not soaked, and definitely not flushed.

Your soil will stay more fertile for a longer period of time this way. Meaning, less fertilizer has to be used. It makes things more efficient and goes a long way man...

Thanks Farmer. They have been in flowering for 1 week now. It was last week when I over watered them. The soil is still very moist towards the bottom so I am going to wait a few more days before giving them any more. What kind of PH do you shoot for when giving them straight water?

I always go for a pH of 6.8, no matter what I'm pouring into the soil.

A little overwatering won't hurt at this point, just let them dry out a little more like you said. I would get that watering under control. If you're flushing (have water running out of the bottom) every time you water you're wasting a lot of water, nutrients, and soil life.

Water in slow, moisten the soil don't soak it, and make sure it all gets saturated. No run-off.

I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me so far, it has helped me out alot!! I am currently 13 days into flower. The plants, especially the Strawberry Cough's are doing some serious stretching, but I have a 10 foot height level so I think I should be fine. I am about to give them their second feeding of nutes. These plants have tons of branches! When is the best time to take pics of the garden? The HPS messes up the photos. Is it ok to snap a couple of shots right when the lights go off for the night? I ended up pulling one of the White Rhino's so I am currently at 10 females in the Garden. Looking at picking up some Serious Seeds AK-47 and Chronic beans soon for my next grow!

Garden Shot

week2w.jpg

Shot of the Green Spirit

week2greenspirit.jpg

Let me know how things look? Any recommendations?

Thanks all!

-Chewy

Thanks FARMER I appreciate your input. I only topped one plant out of the 12 and that was the Green Spirit when it was younger. I think you are spot on about the Nitrogen. I am going to take a picture tonight when switching to the HPS because I swear I can already tell a difference. The new growth is much more green. I did take clones right before I put them into flower. Will the HPS hortilux make them stretch a little bit more then the metal halide? I'm hoping for a decent yield, do you think I could get a oz/plant ??

Thanks!

-Chewy

1 oz per plant that should be no problem i think the plants look great keep up the good work and don't over water if that is dirt you are growing in Peace from the front

Excellent setup. You will have some very nice yields my friend. I would expect more than an ounce per plant...

The temperature and humidity are perfect. 75% Humidity is perfectly fine. I wouldn't bother with a dehumidifier as it's not necessary at all.

The best way to get the humidity to drop, if you really want to, is to simply open the tent and let it air out a little. Unless the humidity of the area where the tent is located is the same. Then you may want to think about getting some Arm&Hammer baking soda, putting it in a decent sized bowl and setting it down near the floor somewhere in the room. Baking soda will help keep humidity levels down a little.

Other than that you could just turn some of your fans OFF actually and let the temperature rise a little. The humidity will rise at first but then once you turn your fans back on and the area cools again, the humidity will be much lower...

THC Farmer, I agree with most everthing you've said except the part about 75% humidity being OK. Years ago I had 3 Skunk#1 that were in flower during July and August, I lost the main cola on all 3 due to mold. I don't know what the humidity was exactly, but it was a basement grow, and I'm sure it was right up there. Now I have a dehumidifier with digital control, I am at 10 days of flower, and am holding the humidity to 50%. I know it's a little early to really worry about high humidity, but after one loses beautiful colas to mold, one becomes leery of humidity issues. I'm not taking any chances on mold again!!!!

Archived