Problems With Medical Marijuana

In response to Allan Adler’s editorial blog, Problems with medical marijuana, I would like to offer an opinion to his and the Oakland Press’ stance on the subject. You can read Allan Adler's blog here

As an attorney and advocate of medical marijuana for individuals who receive certification from the state, I have seen hundreds of seriously ill individuals find comfort and relief through its use—without devastating long-term side effects that come with many mainstream painkillers, such as organ damage and addiction (a common misperception).

As such, I would argue that passing a law that serves to regulate its use while providing hope and a better quality of life for thousands upon thousands of sick Michiganders is the right thing to do from both an emotional and logical standpoint.

Instead, I see individuals who are medically screened and subsequently receive their state certification repeatedly harassed by law enforcement agencies who do not understand the law and, frankly, may not care to. That said, whether they understand or agree with it, they are sworn to uphold it and should be doing so without bias or prejudice.

Education, I feel, is the key. For potential medical marijuana patients and caregivers, for law enforcement officials and for the general public, including teenagers, who are often drawn to drugs for recreational use. Classes, seminars, literature, ad campaigns; whatever it takes to put forth facts and dispel myths.

I do agree with Mr. Adler on a couple of points. Currently, certified patients and their caregivers often must conduct the legal transfer of medicinal product covertly, in turn, sometimes attracting the suspicion of law enforcement. A better distribution system, similar to pharmacies, is needed to ensure safety and discretion. I was also pleased to read of the Oakland Press’ position that the state should consider taxing medical marijuana. Adding such a tax would further legitimize and regulate its effective use while helping our state’s economy.

Time for open eyes and open minds. Time for compassion and an undertanding of how a tiny plant with a time worn stigma is helping sick individuals live their lives again. Time to uphold the law as it was intended and let the process work. The people of Michigan spoke last year. Time to truly hear them and do what’s right.

I hope you sent your rebuttal to him as I have mine.

allan.adler@oakpress.com

I didn't say this in the email, but he is an idiot. According to his article, he has only spoken with law enforcement on this issue which just backs up his beliefs, yet he claims to be a journalist.

What really pisses me off is he claims the law was passed on emotion rather than logic. As much as those who are against it want to deny it, science has spoken, cannabis is a wonder drug. And science has a firm base in logic.

This is my reply to the paper:

[sigh]

What are the benefits of alcohol--particularly liquor? None. Yet, anyone of legal age (nonetheless, kids can get liquor fairly easily) can buy it.

Medical marijuana, on the other hand, is only be accessible to people who have medical reasons, and obtain the proper credentials from State of Michigan to posses it.

On the other hand, ailing people can be prescribed prescription medication that can diminish ones ability to work, drive a car, among other daily activities. Yet, people take these medications and go about their daily activities without a second thought.

So, how is it that people who use medical marijuana are getting so much hassle?

One more thing: I'm canceling my subscription to the paper.

I hope you sent your rebuttal to him as I have mine.

allan.adler@oakpress.com

I didn't say this in the email, but he is an idiot. According to his article, he has only spoken with law enforcement on this issue which just backs up his beliefs, yet he claims to be a journalist.

What really pisses me off is he claims the law was passed on emotion rather than logic. As much as those who are against it want to deny it, science has spoken, cannabis is a wonder drug. And science has a firm base in logic.

There are very few, if any, true investigative reporters left in the U.S. Editors want sensationalism in the story to sell papers that are falling by the way side on a weekly basis.

An in depth story about MM that covered all sides of the issue and brought out into the light the continuous civil rights violations by the police and courts I believe would do a great deal to further the legitimacy of medical marijuana.

When I get the chance to explain to a person what the program is really about and provide them literature if I have it.

They seem to reply with the same five words "that's not what I heard" or "that's not what I read" the amount of disinformation appears to be on the rise and with stories like that one in a local paper full of BS and lies you can see why people would be confused about MM and OUR RIGHTS GUARENTEED UNDER THE LAW.

While I agree with most of your opinions, I do not agree that medical marijuana should be taxed. Prescription medications are not taxed so why should we tax a natural herb with medicinal qualities? It's true that medical marijuana needs to be further legitimized and regulated, but balancing the state's budget on sick people's medicine is not the right thing to do, IMHO.

mia@cannabiscenters.com

I do not agree that medical marijuana should be taxed.

Ditto. First, that opens up the door to all kinds of govt intrusion. Secondly, it would also make marijuana subject to lecherous "sin taxes", such as those imposed on alcohol and tobacco, by closed-minded, revenue-hungry politicians that somehow think that mmj providers are making tons of cash, which they aren't.

The taxation argument may be appealing to legislators, but it would be bad news for patients, caregivers, and recreational users.

My comments to the paper addressed the ethics of a reporter who only views one side of an issue. Many times these HACKS write an article based on reports from "police and officials" and refuse to even acknowledge the existance of an opposing view. This isn't intelligent intercourse, it is yellow journalism at it's ugliest. Let us have a FREE PRESS, not one controlled by the government lackies.

See ya's in the trenches...j.b.

Has anyone yet found a report that actually lines up with the written law?

There have been many stories written and even put on television but as far as I am aware, not even one of them is 100% accurate to the law, which is the largest issue, especially since they would not even have to get out their pajamas in the morning to read it, it just does not happen.

Ditto. First, that opens up the door to all kinds of govt intrusion. Secondly, it would also make marijuana subject to lecherous "sin taxes", such as those imposed on alcohol and tobacco, by closed-minded, revenue-hungry politicians that somehow think that mmj providers are making tons of cash, which they aren't.

The taxation argument may be appealing to legislators, but it would be bad news for patients, caregivers, and recreational users.

I think marijuana should be taxed .. at liqueur stores. From the recreational market.

But I agree .. not from patients.

But then again .. if they make the public go around them again, then no tax money. Not if they make us fight them to get it.

This is my reply to the paper:

[sigh]

What are the benefits of alcohol--particularly liquor? None. Yet, anyone of legal age (nonetheless, kids can get liquor fairly easily) can buy it.

Medical marijuana, on the other hand, is only be accessible to people who have medical reasons, and obtain the proper credentials from State of Michigan to posses it.

On the other hand, ailing people can be prescribed prescription medication that can diminish ones ability to work, drive a car, among other daily activities. Yet, people take these medications and go about their daily activities without a second thought.

So, how is it that people who use medical marijuana are getting so much hassle?

One more thing: I'm canceling my subscription to the paper.

The entire Adler family is "whacked in the head" -

Is this clown related to Ed Adler?

Mizerman

Our Law, the one the people gave us, leaves open the possibility of almost any delivery method as long as it assist in the medical use of marijuana. We should defend it as such. It is my belief that the people should be the sole regulator of our medicine of choice as the law does not provide for oversite except in the instance of diversion or the issuance of cards(Which they still can't get right).

Our law is extremely expansive. What many call gray areas, I see as broad protection from law enforcement and politicians. That's why I feel that the law should not be tampered with. Any additional benefit that could be gained, would be more than offset by the loss of the rights currently guaranteed. JMHO

Yep .. what he said!!

420Peace Michael,

The people of Michigan spoke loudly and clearlly with Prop 1...

We are in a Culture War over Marijuana Marijuana.

Medical Marijuana Oppenats want to subvert the law.

They act like the can roll us.

They need to hear us again!

The Politicians who control LEO will be listeniing again this November 2010...

Vote early Vote often!

Our Law, the one the people gave us, leaves open the possibility of almost any delivery method as long as it assist in the medical use of marijuana. We should defend it as such. It is my belief that the people should be the sole regulator of our medicine of choice as the law does not provide for oversite except in the instance of diversion or the issuance of cards(Which they still can't get right).

Our law is extremely expansive. What many call gray areas, I see as broad protection from law enforcement and politicians. That's why I feel that the law should not be tampered with. Any additional benefit that could be gained, would be more than offset by the loss of the rights currently guaranteed. JMHO

I agree completely

Well said and I agree 100%

The guy needs a reality check. Here's my post to him:

According to SAMHSA, 400,000 people die each year from tobacco; 200,000 die from drinking alcohol and another 200,000 from alcohol-related illnesses. Approximately 15,000 die each year from illegal drug use (mostly heroin). Get your facts straight!! Your "Refer Madness" prespective only serves to highlight your ignorance. Get out of the way of those who choose a non-addictive alternative to opiate pain relief.

Archived