Drug Raids

PatrickPulley

From a live chat discussion with Saginaw County Sheriff Bill Federspiel:

[Comment From Patrick Pulley Patrick Pulley: ]

Sheriff and SPD (ret) do you believe in tempering the behavior of your drug raids in consideration of the circumstances brought from suspect intelligence?

Sheriff Bill Federspiel:

Patrick Pulley, I cannot temper my investigations, but I can scrutinize the suspect intelligence. That is what we try to do on all investigations. If someone wanted to give me a heads up that they are state sanctioned, I would be happy to work with them. And then if we get calls from citizens that the person is violating the law, we can tell the citizens that we've already looked into it and there is no violation.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/05/live_sheriff_federspiel_chats.html

This seems to be the going rage. In our discussions with our prosecutor, he was hoping for some type of list so they didn't have to treat every tip as a illegal grow. I told him it's not illegal for a lot of us so the tip is not enough grounds for a search warrent and should only amount to maybe a knock on the door. Kickin the wrong door in leaves them open to very large law suits. I asked him if the LIST would be "eyes only" and not get into the wrong hands as that would leave them also open to large suits. He seemed to have aggreed with me on that point as a list like that would cause alot of problems..............................

The act does not require you to tell them anything. Thats the job of the MDCH and that is severly limited as to what they can tell them. Thats a good thing folks. They need to treat EVERY tip as a LEGAL grow and just not even knock. They need to stop wasting our tax dollars on stupid crap like Mj.....................................

This seems to be the going rage. In our discussions with our prosecutor, he was hoping for some type of list so they didn't have to treat every tip as a illegal grow. I told him it's not illegal for a lot of us so the tip is not enough grounds for a search warrent and should only amount to maybe a knock on the door. Kickin the wrong door in leaves them open to very large law suits. I asked him if the LIST would be "eyes only" and not get into the wrong hands as that would leave them also open to large suits. He seemed to have aggreed with me on that point as a list like that would cause alot of problems..............................

The act does not require you to tell them anything. Thats the job of the MDCH and that is severly limited as to what they can tell them. Thats a good thing folks. They need to treat EVERY tip as a LEGAL grow and just not even knock. They need to stop wasting our tax dollars on stupid crap like Mj.....................................

Amen to that!

Hi kruztydj

Yet this still doesn't account for this:

[Comment From Patrick PulleyPatrick Pulley: ]

Will you please provide your reference to legal obligation for assisting the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration?

Sheriff Bill Federspiel:

Mr. Pulley, We have a working relationship with all Federal agencies and with other local and state law enforcement agencies. There are inter-local agreements in place that state we will assist an agency in need. There is no federal mandate to assist a federal agency, but as Sheriff, I am obliged to assist because we must rely upon the federal agencies during certain investigations.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/05/live_sheriff_federspiel_chats.html

If Sheriff says, "If someone wanted to give me a heads up that they are state sanctioned, I would be happy to work with them" yet concurrently he assists the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration, where factually there is no concern for state sanctioning, then this is a point of concern at that point because he projects the image of enforcing Federal, not state law. It is the point when we expose ourselves to be fools if we believe the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration is unwilling to pursue individual Medical Marijuana cultivators and patients despite symbolic gestures to the contrary.

This is a question I'd like answered:

I'm curious, from the image that Federal and States laws are two separate and distinct entities, does the Sheriff believe that a conflict of interest may exist when pursuing sanctioned Medical Marijuana cultivators and patients, you know, when considering the legality of Medical Marijuana in state law but the illegality in federal law? This may not apply in this case but does the Sheriff see a potential for conflicting interests, or do agency agreements make amends with that?

*But, oh I see, I was on the wrong track, it is the *DEA* assisting *local* agency in Mr. Boyke's case, presumably.

Archived