Water Prep

sknkwrks

when changing your water do u use water straight out of the tap or do you let it sit a few days to allow for sum or all of the chlorine to evaporate? do you use store bought water? I know sum have fancy filtration systems but i am only looking to do one or two plants till i get a good hand on it. im a dirt bagger and never really grew full out hydroponicly but i do start all my clippings in a bubbler(great way to get them rooted quick and healthy) and i use tap water that i let sit 4 a cpl days and keep topping off the water as needed till they root and into the dirt they go this time i want to grow 2 all the way hydro. so any info would be great

Somewhere around here I saw instructions on this, it said let the tap water sit for 24 hours because of the ph level. There's a whole thread about ph levels, I don't remember all the details. This is all new to me, I'm hoping to learn so someday I can grow for myself and be a cg, too.

Sb

Most use a r/o system and with that ya dont have to let it sit. If your using tap water ya have to let it sit for 24hrs to get the chlorine out of the water. Just get ya a couple 5 gal buckets to store water in so ya have one done already. Better to get a r/o system cuz the cholrine isn't the only thing to worry about in yer tap water. It's the ppm's that will cause ya fits later in the grow. Any ppm's over 200 and your in trouble.My R/O system gives me zero ppms so the only thing I give them in my water is what I put in there.When I'm pushin 2000ppms in a feeding I dont want 200ppms extra of some crap that was in my water. With feeds like that 200ppms of say calcium in me water could cause a lockout due to to much cal in the feed.R/o gives me better control of the grow which increases yeild and lowers my over all costs.............

when changing your water do u use water straight out of the tap or do you let it sit a few days to allow for sum or all of the chlorine to evaporate? do you use store bought water? I know sum have fancy filtration systems but i am only looking to do one or two plants till i get a good hand on it. im a dirt bagger and never really grew full out hydroponicly but i do start all my clippings in a bubbler(great way to get them rooted quick and healthy) and i use tap water that i let sit 4 a cpl days and keep topping off the water as needed till they root and into the dirt they go this time i want to grow 2 all the way hydro. so any info would be great

feel free to stop by the help thread. there are TONS of goodies inside, and if you dont see it, just ask :).

best of luck to you, and we are here to help in any way!!

http://www.michiganm...red-come-on-in/

WELCOME TO THE EXCITING AND FAST WORLD OF HYDRO B)

edit: in regards to the r.o. system. i use one as well. and if the initial cost is too much for you, culligan will install a system in your home and you can rent it for like $13/month while you save your pennies :)

Most use a r/o system and with that ya dont have to let it sit. If your using tap water ya have to let it sit for 24hrs to get the chlorine out of the water. Just get ya a couple 5 gal buckets to store water in so ya have one done already. Better to get a r/o system cuz the cholrine isn't the only thing to worry about in yer tap water. It's the ppm's that will cause ya fits later in the grow. Any ppm's over 200 and your in trouble.My R/O system gives me zero ppms so the only thing I give them in my water is what I put in there.When I'm pushin 2000ppms in a feeding I dont want 200ppms extra of some crap that was in my water. With feeds like that 200ppms of say calcium in me water could cause a lockout due to to much cal in the feed.R/o gives me better control of the grow which increases yeild and lowers my over all costs.............

perfect. very well written.

thumbs-up.jpg

Yep... Perfectly stated..... R.O. is the way to go... In fact.. I just saw a small R.O. kit on sale at Menards for $130 that would do the job for most folks..

Thank for all the input. cost is but is not the issue im only planing to do three hydroponicly in a DWC system so i didnt want to put a whole lot of coin in to it. now when i prep my water for my dirty girls i run my water threw a britta type filter and let it sit over night then add my food and feed. that being said would that be suitable prep for the water?

I wouldn't bother with the britta as it prolly dont do much. R/O is the only way ta go. Home depot has them for under 180.00. Just make sure ya got a good drain spot as they go thru a bunch of water to make your R/O water.

Tap water is gonna give ya fits in hydro, but not as bad in soil. Just dont add any cal-mag as your water will prolly have to much already....

I've used RO and tap, with and without the lock out experience on the tap wtr.

If you don't have a R.O. system, and if you don't mind the labor, and the strange looks, lol, you can get triple filtered RO water at Meijers for 59 cents a gal. I think it's .49 if you bring your own jugs.

I remember the 1st time I did that. It was funny. Some folks looked at all that water and knew exactly what I was up to lol.

I remember the 1st time I did that. It was funny. Some folks looked at all that water and knew exactly what I was up to lol.

oh you arent kidding. ONE TIME i did this......... for 80 gallons. they offered to have a pallet lifted in the bed of my truck.... i just smiled and said "no thanks". didn't wanna draw MORE attention than i was already getting. hauled arse, loaded up with truck with 80 gallons and drove like hell :)

good times.

• 1 month later...

I just checked my water and it is 630 ppm from the well. So what RO system do I need? I have seen stage 3, 4, and 5? Any suggestions on what to get to put my ppm in an acceptable range?

a 3 stage will work just fine for personal use. anything is better than what you have now though :)

if you plan to grow for multiple patients i would consider a more expensive system, but a 3 stage is just perfect for personal growing.

a 3 stage will work just fine for personal use. anything is better than what you have now though :)

if you plan to grow for multiple patients i would consider a more expensive system, but a 3 stage is just perfect for personal growing.

Thanks BG. Right now I am the caregiver for my wife but my patient paperwork was just sent in. And my wifes sister is thinking of seeking a recommendation and making me her caregiver. So all in all I could be looking at 36 plants in the next 6 months but I guess we can cross the bridge when we come to it.

Now it is my understanding that water that goes through a softener is not good to use. Is that your opinion as well?

I got a stage 3 filter and now I am getting 490 ppm. :blink: Maybe as more water runs through it that number will go down?

DUDE give up your phaqed.. Is buying or transporting water a issue. find a place to fill 55 gallon drums. when one emptys you have one with water and nute conditioning waiting so you swap them out and that gives you a few days to fill the other drum..

DUDE give up your phaqed.. Is buying or transporting water a issue. find a place to fill 55 gallon drums. when one emptys you have one with water and nute conditioning waiting so you swap them out and that gives you a few days to fill the other drum..

Transporting would be an issue but I could do some 5 gal buckets. That seems like a PITA. Can you mix soft water with hard water to get an acceptable ppm? It is my understanding I am looking for around 200 ppm. Is that what everyone else would shoot for?

If you're getting 490 with a RO filter then the filter isn't working or isn't hooked up right. Exchange it as defective after checking installation.

Mike

Hooking it up was a no brainer. It is a three stage filter. The water goes in one end and out the other. I'm sure it is correct. I also can't see how anything can be defective. It is just three filters. It is a Dupont if that means anything to anyone.

I am very frustrated. Checking now is back up to 600 and unfiltered is 900. The meter checks out AOK.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Archived