Temp. In My Grow Room Is High Slightly Concerned

mandyscandyspot

hello everyone, I have a 11ft by 14ft grow room with a 1000 watt light in it. I have no circulation of air coming in or out of the room and the temp is rising to the 100 degree's right now. i just put my clones in the hydro system on sat. so everything is just starting and i want to fix this now before it becomes a problem. for one I would like to know what the recommended temps it should be and also methods to keep it cooler if it needs it. I do have fans going as of now. also the room is located on the 2nd floor.

Is this 1000 watt light in a air cooled hood?

If not i recommend buying one this week temps will be near 90 currently my flower box is 5x5x8 inside of a 11x12x8 room i run a 424 cfm 6inch inline fan drawing air from inside my laundry room through the hood out a basement window and today my temps were in the mid 80s while they should be around 78-82 tops .

If you have the money i say go buy a portable air conditioner unit that gives you full control over the room temps.

Is this 1000 watt light in a air cooled hood?

If not i recommend buying one this week temps will be near 90 currently my flower box is 5x5x8 inside of a 11x12x8 room i run a 424 cfm 6inch inline fan drawing air from inside my laundry room through the hood out a basement window and today my temps were in the mid 80s while they should be around 78-82 tops .

If you have the money i say go buy a portable air conditioner unit that gives you full control over the room temps.

k thanks. do you know where to buy cheaper portable air conditioners?

at first this seems to be a sweet solution "but" this unit has no drain and puts all the condensation back into

the air which has to raise the humidity to unacceptable limits in a room with no ventilation.

i think ac is your best way to go for a second floor summer grow----hope this helps---tucker

thanks i'm seaching around the internet right now looking for one i will let you know if i find a cheaper one :)

What model is your hood/reflector? Or what type is it, air-cooled or open? Is it possible to vent air outside or to another room?

ya it looks like my two options are venting outside or an air conditioner: air conditioners are slightly pricey venting air in and out means drilling holes in the house seems kind of messy and a pain, so i think i'll stick with the air conditioner. i'm not sure what kind my hood is. i do know its open. maybe i'll just put a picture up of the room...if i can figure it out. but its metal loooking and shaped like a big unbrella.

at first this seems to be a sweet solution "but" this unit has no drain and puts all the condensation back into

the air which has to raise the humidity to unacceptable limits in a room with no ventilation.

i think ac is your best way to go for a second floor summer grow----hope this helps---tucker

"ohh no" you just totally sqaushed my so-so easy fix plan lol....but thanks for the heads up i didn't think about that.

ya it looks like my two options are venting outside or an air conditioner: air conditioners are slightly pricey venting air in and out means drilling holes in the house seems kind of messy and a pain, so i think i'll stick with the air conditioner. i'm not sure what kind my hood is. i do know its open. maybe i'll just put a picture up of the room...if i can figure it out. but its metal loooking and shaped like a big unbrella.

You're better off going with a sealed reflector then an ac unit for several reasons. The bulb itself is going to be much cooler, This will extend the life of it as well as allow you to place it closer to your plants giving you more light. Secondly you can filter the exhaust air by putting a carbon scrubber (filter) at the end before the light and reflector, then run from the reflector outside, Cutting a drilling holes does suck but for $20 at the hardware store you can buy an outside dryer vent cover and it will look clean and professional. Also if you run a high powered fan through the reflector its going to create a air current in the room to keep things from getting stale as well. Running an AC unit is going to not only cost a lot to buy but to keep it running, adding up all that wattage will put you high in operating costs. Unless you get an external thermometer and place it under the lamp itself its going to keep the area which its in at the desired temp, but the lamp is still going to be cranking out heat so they will continuously battle each other.

Yeah, Mandy - I would ditch that umbrella reflector. Get an air-cooled hood like this. Notice the glass window that makes it a sealed chamber and the flanges for connecting the ducting:

HLRESYM2.jpg

When it is set up it will look something like this:

DSC000758.JPG

By drawing air directly over the bulb with a high power inline fan the heat will quickly be removed from the hood. If you can vent it directly out of the room you'll get your temps down in there.

I have no circulation of air coming in or out of the room and the temp is rising to the 100 degree's right now.

hi there mandy!!

glad to see you reach out for help.......... there would have been more senseless casualties if you didn't. :(

also, very glad to see everybody hopping in and helping out. you are getting some top notch advice for sure.

i just clicked on this thread for the very first time, started to read the original post, got as far as the line i quoted above and dang near had a break-down :P

air is good

alright everyone thanks for the great advice and help. i decided to go with venting the air in and out instead of using a air conditioner. i did it through a window so i didn't have to drill any holes...which is a big plus. i'm letting it work it's self out for the night and some of the day to see if it will work. also i will need one more fan perferablly an inline fan if anyone knows were to get cheap ones let me know :)

alright everyone thanks for the great advice and help. i decided to go with venting the air in and out instead of using a air conditioner. i did it through a window so i didn't have to drill any holes...which is a big plus. i'm letting it work it's self out for the night and some of the day to see if it will work. also i will need one more fan perferablly an inline fan if anyone knows were to get cheap ones let me know :)

HTG supply makes a 6" inline that puts out 424cfm for around 100. 130 will get you the 8" which puts out 590 I believe. I have 1 of each, they're great, a little bit loud but they sure move some air!

• 3 weeks later...

Fresh air is a must. You must have air incoming and outgoing to provide fresh air for your plants. I put a vent on the inside of my grow room and one down low outside the room which utilizes the channel between the studs to transfer air incomming. The cool Hood is open on one end, and pulls air outside with an inline fan. No fancy expensive carbon filters!

Archived