The U.s. Veterans Administration (Va) Recently Prohibits Va Physicians From Recommending Medical Marijuana To Their Patients . . .

HEADLINES:

"The U.S. Veterans Administration (VA) recently adopted a policy prohibiting VA physicians from recommending medical marijuana to their patients, even if marijuana is the safest and most effective medicine to treat Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other service-related conditions."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-kerrey/va-docs-prohibited-from-d_b_587763.html

Well, We KNOW that can't be good; But . . .

I'd like to believe that SOMETHING Positive will come out of this.

One would hope thaty even DC wouldn't want a bunch off unmedicated War Vets marching on Capitol Hill.

Eh?

Good ol' "Uncle Sam" . . . screwing all his nephews and nieces . . . as usual.

Fight the Good Fight.

Free the World . . . from Pseudo-Egalitarians.

This is not a new policy, it has been in place for over year possibly longer. My VA doctor signed for me in Dec08 (the unofficial form that Greg Schmidt made) but was told not to sign them when the state forms came out.

The good news is that they are not voiding pain management contracts for Veterans who have a medical marijuana recommendation from another doctor if they test positive for marijuana.

This is not a new policy, it has been in place for over year possibly longer. My VA doctor signed for me in Dec08 (the unofficial form that Greg Schmidt made) but was told not to sign them when the state forms came out.

The good news is that they are not voiding pain management contracts for Veterans who have a medical marijuana recommendation from another doctor if they test positive for marijuana.

and in some cases they are telling vets where to go to find a doctor.

My V.A. Dr was quite emphatic that all pain meds would be stopped if I became a MMJ user. This was about nine months ago. sucks

Check this out. http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmay09/nf052809-2.htm

VA CLARIFIES MEDICAL MARIJUANA POLICY Vets with medical marijuana prescription who test positive will not be removed from pain management programs.

by Larry Scott, VA Watchdog dot Org

Last week we brought you an article about medical marijuana on VA property.

The VA cops stated that even if a veteran has a prescription for medical marijuana, it is not allowed on VA property because it violates federal law ... regardless of state law.

Now the VA has clarified that.

"However, it is acknowledged that testing positive for marijuana in a patient, based upon a random drug screening, will not serve as a breach of the current pain management agreement if the patient submits documentation in support of the marijuana being prescribed and dispensed in conformity with Michigan law."

This would appear to be VA policy in all states where medical marijuana is allowed by law. Remember, it is still not allowed on VA property because of federal law.

Many VA physicians will work with patients to help them obtain medical marijuana if needed. VA physicians cannot write a prescription or even give a referral to a "marijuana doctor." But, there are ways around that ... and this is done all the time.

A friend of mine was going through chemo and couldn't keep food down. His VA doctor handed him a business card of a civilian doctor. My friend went to the civilian doc, got a medical marijuana scrip, and managed to get through his chemo and keep food down at the same time.

A suggestion to vets who might benefit from medical marijuana: Just ask your VA physician ... most times they will get you headed in the right direction.

The complete statement on veterans and medical marijuana is below:

-------------------------

Letters: VA marijuana policy outlined

by The Saginaw News

Editor, The News:

As a clarification to the article on medical marijuana in the VA, it is important for veteran patients and visitors of the VA medical center in Saginaw and community based outpatient clinics in Alpena, Clare, Gaylord, Oscoda and Traverse City to understand how the new law regarding the use of medical marijuana will be handled by VA medical center police and practitioners.

The legalization of medical marijuana in Michigan is acknowledged. However, pursuant to federal law, VA physicians, nurse practitioners and other licensed clinicians are not authorized or permitted to participate in the recommendation for treatment of or prescribing medical marijuana to a VA patient that would otherwise be legal in Michigan. Furthermore, the VA will not dispense, prescribe or store medical marijuana, and its possession on VA property remains illegal and a criminal offense.

However, it is acknowledged that testing positive for marijuana in a patient, based upon a random drug screening, will not serve as a breach of the current pain management agreement if the patient submits documentation in support of the marijuana being prescribed and dispensed in conformity with Michigan law.

The above withstanding, veteran patients and visitors who are registered users of medical marijuana must follow all laws and regulations for the possession and use of the medical marijuana and shall not bring medical marijuana on the grounds of the VA medical center. Possession on federal grounds remains illegal and may subject the possessor to appropriate criminal charges.

Our priority to provide quality health care to veterans remains steadfast. A veteran's care and the right to pain management continue to be very important in enhancing the veteran's health care outcomes.

Veterans with questions or concerns regarding their participation with medical marijuana may be directed to their primary care provider.

Gabriel Perez

director

Lutz Veterans Affairs Medical Center

Saginaw

I cant find anywhere on the VA site saying this. I want to show my father-in-law (Vietnam Vet) this, but I want the most official website to quote. He says that he cant go to a different doctor under his pain management thing, but that is for pain, he also has Hep C. So I think if he pays for the doc visit, pays the MDCH fees, and gets his card, then he would be able to give them that card without them throwing him out or cutting off his meds for Cannabis use.

EDIT: I have talked to him about this and he is very happy. He will be setting up a apt. very soon for his Hep C. Thanks FreeManabis and ___________ for the info.

• 2 months later...

Update:

http://www.examiner.com/x-53247-Roanoke-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2010m7d27-Veterans-Affairs-issues-an-important-directive

And, For those who haven't seen the latest "directive" (2010-035) from the Veterans Administration yet, here's a link:

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2276

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2010-035

Veterans Health Administration

Washington, DC 20420

July 22, 210

MEDICAL MARIJUANA

1. PURPOSE: The purpose of this Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive is to provide guidance on access to and the use of medical marijuana by Veteran patients.

2. BACKGROUND

a. Fourteen states have enacted laws authorizing the use of medical marijuana. These authorizations generally require a physician to complete forms stipulating that a patient suffers from one or more of a variety of conditions and would benefit from the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Medical conditions associated with the use of medical marijuana include, but are not limited to: glaucoma, chemotherapy induced nausea, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and chronic pain. Veterans who receive their care from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and who have a desire to participate in state medical marijuana programs might ask their VA physicians to complete these authorization forms.

b. State laws authorizing the use of medical marijuana are contrary to Federal law. The Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code (U.S.C.) 801 et al.) designates marijuana as a Schedule I drug meaning that it has no currently accepted medical use and there are criminal penalties associated with its production, distribution, and possession. A VA physician’s completion of a form that would permit a patient to participate in a state medical marijuana program could result in the Drug Enforcement Administration’s actual or threatened revocation of the physician’s registration to prescribe controlled substances, as well as criminal charges.

c. VHA policy does not prohibit Veterans who use medical marijuana from participating in VHA substance abuse programs, pain control programs, or other clinical programs where the use of marijuana may be considered inconsistent with treatment goals. Although patients participating in state medical marijuana programs must not be denied VHA services, modifications may need to be made in their treatment plans. Decisions to modify treatment plans in those situations are best made by individual providers in partnership with their patients. VHA endorses a step-care model for the treatment of patients with chronic pain: any prescription(s) for chronic pain should be managed under the auspices of such programs described in VHA policy regarding Pain Management.

3. POLICY: VA providers must comply with all Federal laws, including the Controlled Substances Act. Due to marijuana’s classification as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, it is VHA policy to prohibit VA providers from completing forms seeking recommendations or opinions regarding a Veteran’s participation in a state medical marijuana program. If a Veteran presents a prescription or authorization for medical marijuana to a VA provider or pharmacist, VA will not provide marijuana nor will it pay for the prescription to be filled by a non-VA entity. NOTE: Possession of medical marijuana by Veterans while on VA property is in violation of VA regulation 1.218(a)(7) and places them at risk for prosecution under the Controlled Substances Act.

4. ACTION

a. Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management (10N). The Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management is responsible for ensuring that medical facility Directors are aware of the prohibition of completing forms for participation in state medical marijuana programs.

b. Chief Officer Patient Care Services. The Chief Officer Patient Care Services is responsible for providing clinical guidance to VA providers regarding factors to be considered when determining how substance abuse, pain control, or other treatment plans could be impacted by Veterans’ participation in state medical marijuana programs.

c. Medical Facility Directors. Medical facility Directors are responsible for ensuring VA clinical staff are aware:

(1) Of the prohibition of completing forms for participation in medical marijuana programs.

(2) That if a patient reports participation in a state medical marijuana program to the clinical staff, that information is entered into the “non-VA medication section” of the patient's electronic medical record following established medical facility procedures for recording non-VA medication use.

5. REFERENCES

a. Office of General Counsel (OCG) Opinion on State Medical Marijuana Registration Forms - VAOPGCADV 9-2008.

b. Title 21 U.S.C. 801 et al, the Controlled Substances Act.

c. VHA policy regarding Pain Management.

6. FOLLOW-UP RESPONSIBILITY: Pharmacy Benefits Management Services (119) is responsible for the content of this Directive.

7. RESCISSIONS: None. This VHA Directive expires July 31, 2015.

Robert E. Petzel, M.D.

Under Secretary for Health

DISTRIBUTION:

E-mailed to the VHA Publications Distribution List 07/22/2010

FREE The CURE!

Archived