Paramilitary Tactics Backfire For Detroit's Top Cop

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1992425,00.html?hpt=T2

detroit_police_chief_0526.jpg

When Warren Evans took over as Detroit's police chief last summer, he came on strong and got results. Evans deployed a Special Response Team (SRT), using military-style tactics and weapons to handle ordinary police actions like traffic stops. At a time of cutbacks to the police force, he seemed to be effectively doing more with less. Last month, Evans called a press conference to tout his progress. The average police response time to priority 911 calls had shortened nearly 28%, to 24 minutes, from the time taken a year earlier. Recorded homicides declined 25%.

Now Evans' paramilitary approach to police work is under attack. The criticism comes in the aftermath of a new wave of violence that included the death of a 7-year-old girl who was accidentally shot by police during a raid of a home. Earlier this month, five Detroit police officers were shot, one fatally, while investigating a reported break-in at an abandoned building. When Evans appeared on a local TV program Sunday, he wearily summed up his experience so far in one of America's toughest jobs: "It's cloudy some days. And some days, it rains all day. It's been doing a lot of raining lately." (See pictures of crime in Middle America.)

So far, Evans has the support of Detroit Mayor Dave Bing. But the mayor also told the Detroit News this week that Evans is "aggressive," and said a deputy mayor will be "reining him in." Changes may come after state and federal investigations of the May 16 killing of the 7-year-old girl, Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

A short, relatively trim man in his early 60s, Evans faces a unique challenge in taming Detroit's violent crime, one of the biggest barriers to the city's comeback aspirations. He commands a force of barely 3,000 officers — down from about 4,000 just a few years ago — who patrol an often sparsely populated territory of nearly 140 square miles. (Manhattan, San Francisco and Boston could fit within Detroit's borders, with room to spare). Detroit's police are spread so thin that some citizens have lost confidence officers will respond swiftly to 911 calls. That's why some of the city's remaining middle-class neighborhoods have hired private security patrols. (Listen to a podcast on violent crime in Detroit.)

Evans came to the police chief's job with an impressive pedigree. Born into one of Detroit's prominent black families, he seemed destined to be in charge of something. In the early 1900s, just as Southern blacks began moving en masse to take part in Detroit's auto boom, Evans' grandfather helped found one of the city's first hospitals to allow black doctors to practice. Another relative was among the first sheriff's deputies of Wayne County, Mich., which includes Detroit. Civil Rights–era figures like Malcolm X and Stokely Carmichael were regulars at the Evans family home, where a biweekly newspaper, the Illustrated News, was printed in the basement.

In 1970s, Evans joined the Wayne County sheriff's office, and rose quickly. After getting a law degree, he worked briefly as an assistant prosecutor, handling police shooting and drug cases. In 2003, he was appointed sheriff, a job whose main purpose is to manage the county jails.

His ascent seemed to stall last summer, when he ran for mayor against steel magnate Dave Bing and got only 10% of the vote. But last year came a shocking incident, in which seven students standing at a bus stop in one of Detroit's bleakest neighborhoods were shot, that provoked a shake-up in the police department. Bing asked his former rival Evans to become police chief, declaring, "We don't have time to wait. Our children aren't safe."

Evans quickly made his presence felt, joining beat officers patrolling Detroit's neighborhoods, often with reporters. He moved more than 100 officers from desk posts to street patrols. He broadened the mission of the SRT squads beyond hostage situations and bank robberies to bring an intimidating force to more routine police work. He also created a mobile Tactical Strike Force, which rotated about 150 officers from the department's gang squad and other units to deliver a surge of police presence in crime-tossed neighborhoods. An increase in traffic stops, police officials say, has led to the arrests of scores of people with unauthorized guns and driving without licenses.

The SRT is at the center of the current mess. Shortly after midnight on May 16, members of the SRT arrived at a two-story white house on a tree-lined street in Detroit's East Side. The officers had a warrant to search the house for a 34-year-old man believed to have shot and killed a high-school senior two days earlier. Officers claimed they announced their presence and then tossed a flash grenade through the front window of one side of the duplex to disorient the people inside. Then, police say, a 46-year-old grandmother in the front room struggled with an officer. Police say an officer's gun then discharged, fatally shooting the woman's 7-year-old granddaughter Aiyana. The death drew a broad outcry. The Rev. Al Sharpton, who spoke at Aiyana's funeral last Saturday, said her death "should be a wake-up call, not only for the authorities, but for those of us in the community who have allowed this violence and recklessness for too long."

Detroit is not the only city to go the paramilitary route. Since the 1980s drug war, experts say, many local police departments have developed such units, often with surplus U.S. military gear. Initially, the units responded to hostage situations. Increasingly, they're used proactively to search for illegal contraband, like guns and drugs, says Peter Kraska, professor of criminal justice at Eastern Kentucky University and author of Militarizing the American Criminal Justice System.

Local police have a fundamental mission: to use the minimum amount of force to bring criminals to justice. That's a very different mission from that of the military: to destroy the enemy. "When the two missions get blurred," says Tim Lynch, director of the Project on Criminal Justice at the Cato Institute, a conservative Washington think tank, it can become a recipe for excess. "When these paramilitary units are called out to execute violent raids on these homes, it's taking on the attributes of an urban war zone," he says. There's very little oversight: officers assigned to such squads often get a few days of training, with no national standards. "This is a big free-for-all," Kraska says.

With at least one lawsuit filed against the police department in the wake of the May 16 shooting, Evans has remained out of public view in recent days, except for last Sunday's television interview in which he defended his department's paramilitary strategy. "No big city can do without a Special Response Team," he said, describing the SRT as "a specialized unit that's very well trained. Their job is to get into places where there's a significant potential for danger." So far, however, his department has refused to clarify its rules for deploying the squads — or the use of flash grenades. He declined to be interviewed for this article, and the department has not yet publicly commented on the lawsuit.

Adding fuel to the debate is the marriage of police work and show business. Detroit loathes its reputation for crime, but seems to have marketed itself as a fixture for crime-related reality-TV shows. The debate about the influence of TV cameras cuts two ways. On the one hand, cameras may provide a watchful eye and prevent abuse. But the presence of a video crew from the TV show The First 48 on the scene of Aiyana's shooting has prompted questions about whether the cameras incited police to become more aggressive.

The police chief compounded the issue by appearing in a promotional video for a prospective reality-TV show called The Chief. The video reportedly showed him standing in front of the abandoned Michigan Central Station holding a semiautomatic rifle. Mayor Bing said Monday that he has banned TV crews from Detroit police patrols.

Even in a city desensitized to violence, the mood is tense. "How do you think people are supposed to live on the streets when the police are violent like that? They're causing more problems, not solving them," says Gerald Evans (no relation to the police chief), 44, who claims he was attacked by several Detroit police gang-squad members without cause last March. Ron Scott, head of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, says his warnings to Bing and Evans that the paramilitary strategy may prove to be counterproductive "have fallen on deaf ears."

The police chief's next moves will be watched closely. "I don't think the chief is out there like some crazy guy who doesn't know what the hell he's doing," Bing told the News. "I think among the criminals that are out there, there is some fear about this chief and what he's attempting to do." The chief may have the criminals on the run, but now his job is to make sure the law-abiding residents of Detroit are standing behind him.

— With reporting by Kristy Erdodi / Detroit

I've neither heard nor seen any apology, remorse, or regrets. That child's family is going through hell and all that chief could do was defend his department's paramilitary strategy?? HOW does he sleep? HOW DO ANY OF THEM SLEEP?? AN INNOCENT 7 YEAR OLD GIRL IS DEAD. I'm disgusted. Tell me if I missed anything that even remotely looks like he feels bad about that child's death.

Sb

There are two sides to this story.

While it is sad - more than sad - it is tragic that this little girl was killed...however, this family was harboring a cold-blooded murderer.

The "man of this house" was in the car with the murderer when he callously and cowardly gunned down people.

When the Michigan State Police was doing the investigation AFTER the tragedy they found TWO STOLEN CARS in the backyard.

Everyone in that house should be charged with harboring a fugitive and obstructing justice. In my opinion, they are partly repsonsible for the death of that little girl.

I'm not meaning to tinkle off people in the MM community, but in my opinion this is not the story or crime to galvanize a groundswell of support and anti-LEO sentiment. There are far better choices to get in bed with.

Mizerman

PEACE :)

While it is sad - more than sad - it is tragic that this little girl was killed...however, this family was harboring a cold-blooded murderer.

The "man of this house" was in the car with the murderer when he callously and cowardly gunned down people.

When the Michigan State Police was doing the investigation AFTER the tragedy they found TWO STOLEN CARS in the backyard.

Everyone in that house should be charged with harboring a fugitive and obstructing justice. In my opinion, they are partly repsonsible for the death of that little girl.

I'm not meaning to tinkle off people in the MM community, but in my opinion this is not the story or crime to galvanize a groundswell of support and anti-LEO sentiment. There are far better choices to get in bed with.

Mizerman

"tinkle" - that's funny. Oh well, at least "bunny muffin" wasn't inserted. LOL

If the chief there is the one behind the actions taken by these para militarys then he should be the one that does the time. 5 years be about the right amount of time for him to think about his crimes to the people of Detriot.

Things gotta change people this isnt nazi germany. Maybe people need to take up arms to protect ourselves from these thugs

Ive witnessed their little para military way of treating MMJ patient first hand .

Trust me its not the way the law was writen . Im sure when the people that wrote this law meant. Here Mr King heres your card have a nice visit from Magnet now you hear. Hope you, your dog and kids arent shot . Have a nice day Dont think they wont. They put guns to my girls heads in 2002 over them(MAGNET) planting weed in my garbage

Do we need this kind of military force.For non violent crimes. This is middle AMERICA people . Not Nazi Germany .Not Iran.Not China. Middle America people. These para militarys gotta go

http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/05/video-of-swat-raid-on-missouri

Copy and paste this to view it. Its real graffic so make sure kids are not persent

Exactly " Silverblue "

If it would of been my Kid ,

I would spend my Entire Rest of my Life

getting the Cops that Shot her !

F'n Aye drtarzanmd, I would too. The cop who shot that 7 year old girl should be publicly executed. He's nothing less than a worthless murderer.

Mizerman

So this means the cops have the right to shoot an innocent 7 year old girl? She didn't kill anybody. The F'n cops should have shot the murderer not the 7 year old. Aint no excuse for this and no excuse for defending these pigs.

So this means the cops have the right to shoot an innocent 7 year old girl? She didn't kill anybody. The F'n cops should have shot the murderer not the 7 year old. Aint no excuse for this and no excuse for defending these pigs.

The grandmother was in a physical confrontation with the person who's gun went off.

Remember, they were trying to capture a murderer - not a cannabis grower.

Mizerman

Guest Wayne

mizerman has it right. But remember if this happens to you because LEO determines your cannabis use and posession is illegal, you and yours get what you deserve if the SWAT team has to come raid your home and shoots your pets or children. They can sort it out after the fact. But nothing will clear you of responsibility for risking their lives in the first place. GRENADE!!!!!

Guest Wayne

Sure hope for his families sake that mizerman doesn't own any guns. He obviously has never been taught gun safety. Who's finger actually pulled the trigger? Grandma's? I'd like to see that demonstrated.

And i guess if alot of us werent doing this "awful and dangerous" growing of marijuana then they would leave these patients and caregivers alone too.. right?

Mizerman

Mr Fieger says that the grandmother didnt have a confontation with police . The tape shows the cop shooting the gernade in the window that set the lil girl on fire and instantly the cop shot threw the window. Mr fieger is set to call these cowboys out and call them all liars .Video's dont lie Police do. Fieger said that these cops huddled in a van for 15 min. to fashion up their coverup story. Dont beleive me call his office

Videos don't lie. EXACTLY!!! Ever wonder why every time LEO shows up at a scene and a camera is rolling, they order the camera to be shut off???? Why???? Doesn't it seem that a neutral observer would be useful at a possible crime scene???? I have 6 cameras covering my home and property, along with a camera I carry with me EVERYWHERE. The last time I was pulled over, I had my camera recording. LEO didn't like it, and I didn't care. I was not alone, and I informed him it was my right. It was the most polite pull over I ever had. He pulled me over because he ran my plate and saw the marihuana charge on me ( BS, he knew of me. He was a local, and they ALL know of me! ). I showed him my patient card and CG cards, and that was that. Sad, a charge on your record is considered reason to pull you over. I had nothing on me, but I refused to let him search anyways. It wouldn't have surprised me to have him plant evidence during his "search". NEVER TRUST A COP!

I've neither heard nor seen any apology, remorse, or regrets. That child's family is going through hell and all that chief could do was defend his department's paramilitary strategy?? HOW does he sleep? HOW DO ANY OF THEM SLEEP?? AN INNOCENT 7 YEAR OLD GIRL IS DEAD. I'm disgusted. Tell me if I missed anything that even remotely looks like he feels bad about that child's death.

Sb

Geoffery Fieger said that police shot gernade into window that set the girl on fire . And almost instantly shot into the window stiking the girl. Then said( Fieger Quote) the police draged the girl out of the house like a rag doll. Was never any confrontation with the gran mother its a lie

You always here about not all cops are bad . Well where are the good ones hiding ??

This is from the other post from My link

Her father, 25-year-old Charles Jones, told The Detroit News he had just gone to bed early Sunday after covering his daughter with her favorite blanket when he heard a flash grenade followed by a gunshot.

Assistant Chief Ralph Godbee said officers set off the flash grenade as they entered the apartment with their guns drawn about 12:40 a.m. Sunday with a warrant to look for a suspect in the Friday slaying of a 17-year-old boy. The lead officer's gun went off after he encountered a 46-year-old woman inside the front room of the home and "some level of physical contact" ensued. Police do not believe the gun was fired intentionally.

Police later said the officer may have just collided with the woman.

Charles Jones' mother, Mertilla Jones, who has said she was not involved in a struggle with the officer.

When asked if police entered the wrong portion of the duplex that features two separate front entrances bearing individual addresses at opposite ends off the worn front porch, she said: "Yes they did. Yes they did."

So not only did LEO BOLDFACED LIE about what happened, but they were also serving a search warrent for the WRONG ADDRESS!!!

Police eventually found the 34-year-old slaying suspect they were looking for during a search of the building

The right one, after a home was terrorized and there little girl was set on fire from a flash bang and shot...

Sure hope for his families sake that mizerman doesn't own any guns. He obviously has never been taught gun safety. Who's finger actually pulled the trigger? Grandma's? I'd like to see that demonstrated.

I am well versed in gun safety.

It is heartbraking that the little girl was involved.

This is NOT a Medical Marijuana case. This case is about a family "well versed" in the criminal lifestyle and that was harboring a murderer.

Ever stop to think that this family shouldn't have put the seven year old girl in that situation?

She didn't do anything to deserve this. But, those harboring the fugitive murderer and the dad who went along for the ride when the trigger was pulled from the car should all be thrown in prison.

When you show me a medical marijuana case where someone is simply a grower, under their limit, not selling to people who aren't patients...sign me up and I'll be the biggest supporter on the planet.

Mizerman

p.s. I'll argue this point with you until the end of time

Guest Wayne

Gun safety rule #1: Keep your gun cocked, finger on the trigger at all times.

LEO and the courts are determining what's legal and what's not as far as medical marijuana is concerned. So how certain are you that you are keeping your family safe? You are knowingly engaging in activity that, from stories to date, are determined illegal by LEO, prosecutors and judges all over this state. Where will your responsibility lay knowing this while placing your family at risk? I assume you have some written guarantee from the ultimate authority?

Guest Wayne

But you can't hold a whole family responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole family system? And if the whole family system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our social institutions in general? I put it to you, mizerman - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

It's a sad situation all the way around. LEO made a big mistake; the family did as well. Harboring a fugitive is one thing, killing a little girl because of incompetence is another. Police need much more stringent qualification standards in place. For every 20 cops, 1 is a good cop. There is too much of the "Rambo" mentality, and there shouldn't be requirements such as issuing X amount of tickets per month, X amount of drug busts, etc. What if you're a cop, and the public in your zone are doing no wrong? You begin to violate rights and create crimes so as to not look bad. It's sad, but it's true. I've seen it, from LEOs side.

Archived