Forming A Political Action Committee Pac

I think it is clear we need a lobbyist, but we also need a PAC. So lets form one. Below you will find a outline of a PAC. All persons interested should read over the information and contact me directly.

In the United States, a Political Action Committee, or PAC, is the name commonly given to a private group, regardless of size, organized to elect political candidates or to advance the outcome of a political issue or legislation.[1] Legally, what constitutes a "PAC" for purposes of regulation is a matter of state and federal law. Under the Federal Election Campaign Act, an organization becomes a "political committee" by receiving contributions or making expenditures in excess of $1,000 for the purpose of influencing a federal election.[2]

And Step by step instructions

Step

Come up with a political purpose. You can create a Political Action Committee for a candidate, a party or an issue. It only needs to be something that you can promote to others that have the same political goal who will be willing to contribute money.

Step

Name your Political Action Committee. The name can be an abbreviation or acronym that connects the name to the goal of the Political Action Committee. However, like any other name, the primary goal is to make sure that it is not easy to make fun of.

Step

Register your Political Action Committee with the Federal Election Commission. A connected Political Action Committee must register within ten days of its inception, but a nonconnected Political Action Committee does not have to register until it has distributed $1,000 in a calendar year towards federal elections. Every Political Action Committee requires a treasurer so when you create your Political Action Committee you will have to name someone was the treasurer.

Step

Keep accurate records. A Political Action Committee must provide complete reports to the FEC regarding all spending on federal elections. There are specific guidelines that regulate who can give and how much can be donated to the Political Action Committee as well as how much a Political Action Committee can contribute to a campaign. Failing to document every donation and contribution will bring grave consequences.

Step

Raise and contribute money. The whole reason for creating a Political Action Committee is to be able to contribute money to candidates or parties who will work to push for issues that are important to that Political Action Committee.

Now for Lobbyist info

Lobbying (also Lobby) is a form of advocacy with the intention of influencing decisions made by legislators and officials in the government by individuals, other legislators, constituents, or advocacy groups. A lobbyist is a person who tries to influence legislation on behalf of a special interest or a member of a lobby. Governments often define and regulate organized group lobbying that has become influential on policy.

Overview

In the United States the Internal Revenue Service makes a clear distinction for nonprofit organizations between lobbying and advocacy limiting the former to "asking policymakers to take a specific position on a specific piece of legislation, or that ask others to ask the same"; in common language, the definition of lobbying is normally broader. Other activities that seek to influence policies, possibly including public demonstrations and the filing of "friend of the court briefs", are termed as "advocacy".[1]

The House of Commons Public Administration Select Committee argued that while there are shortcomings in the regulation of the lobbying industry in the United Kingdom, "The practice of lobbying in order to influence political decisions is a legitimate and necessary part of the democratic process. Individuals and organisations reasonably want to influence decisions that may affect them, those around them, and their environment. Government in turn needs access to the knowledge and views that lobbying can bring."[2]

Governments often define and regulate organized group lobbying.[3][4][5][6] Economist Thomas Sowell defends corporate lobbying as simply an example of a group having better knowledge of its interests than the people at large do of theirs.[7]

Lobby groups may concentrate their efforts on the legislatures, where laws are created but make also use the judicial branch to advance their causes. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, for example, filed suits in state and federal courts in the 1950s to challenge segregation laws. Their efforts resulted in the Supreme Court declaring such laws unconstitutional. At any given time, there are hundreds of cases in state and federal courts in which Advocacy groups are suing in hopes of winning lawsuits to help their members. Court victories, in addition to their legal benefits, can make the headlines and give interest groups a lot of publicity.[citation needed]

They may use a legal device known as amicus curiae, literally "friend of the court," briefs to try and influence court cases. Briefs are written documents filed with a court, typically by parties to a lawsuit. Amicus curiae briefs are briefs filed by people or groups who are not parties to a suit. These briefs are entered into the court records, and give additional background on the matter being decided upon. Advocacy groups use these briefs to both share their expertise and promote their positions.

I will be anouncing a public meeting soon. If you are interested let me know and I will add you to the list. Thanks John

We also we need your ideas on a place to meet and a date/time

Most of us have computers, but not everyone is free to travel everywhere on any given day. I'd like to suggest that consideration be given to holding meetings either online, or, if offline, simultaneously using something like WebEx.com or GoToMeeting.com so that those who are unable to physically attend can listen in and even take part.

Most of us have computers, but not everyone is free to travel everywhere on any given day. I'd like to suggest that consideration be given to holding meetings either online, or, if offline, simultaneously using something like WebEx.com or GoToMeeting.com so that those who are unable to physically attend can listen in and even take part.

Good Point, and not all can travel on a moments notice, or even afford to buy the gas.

I don't think we need to form a PAC in the sense of raising money to influence election results, a few sponsors wouldn't hurt, but our folks are poor. Our power is in our numbers and putting a face to our cause.

We have people that will help us with the lobbying. Our platform will let them know what it is they are lobbying for. In the meantime they can be our eyes and ears in Lansing.

The important thing is working with your fellow patients and caregivers to create our Bill of Rights. The things that unite us. We agree on 99%, we just need to document these things and vote on them. One vote, One person.

Let's not let them define our law. We have to make it uncomfortable to try to manipulate our law or harass our population. We will win with unity and our numbers.

Well a PAC in the sence we will be supporting patients and cg's with getting LEO off their backs.

Good Point, and not all can travel on a moments notice, or even afford to buy the gas.

I will try to check out the webex.com, but gotomeetings sucks. 3MED used the thing for a couple months and it was hard to use and never worked right. Thanks John

I will try to check out the webex.com, but gotomeetings sucks. 3MED used the thing for a couple months and it was hard to use and never worked right. Thanks John

If Webex.com does not work out there may be other ways....Someone running a secure dedicated server? A private subsection of a forum... A private website?

Right up my alley, I am very interested in helping any way I can.

I don't drive, but I can travel and I have internet (lol).

I see the need and it is great and time is running short, we need to get as much done as soon as yesterday.

e-mail me at reapermaidenwarrior@gmail.com

Since the MMMA's is currently registered as a Michigan domestic non-profit corporation, political campaigning (i.e hiring a lobbyist) can result in the loss of that status as well as legal action.

A PAC is an excellent idea. We utilize PAC's when we run for elections even on a local level. It gives a more professional appearence to the person(s) seeking office or group 'lobbying'. The only reason we would need money in our PAC would be to purchase signs, travel expenses, etc. related to the nature of the PAC. Once you collect 1001.00 you must submit paper work which is a pain in the butt and you should have someone who is good with those things. Over all its a great idea to form a political action committee. This may help unite the CC's and help our concerns be heard. Dizz

I think the Bill of Rights would be a good idea to unite the MMJ community on common goals. However this whole lobbyist discussion sickens me. I've never seen any good come from lobbyists. I think they have done more harm to this country than good. I also believe lobbyists are in good part responsible for the Draconian Drug Policies we have in this country. Is there any other way our voices can be heard in Lansing without using lobbyists?

"Since the MMMA's is currently registered as a Michigan domestic non-profit corporation, political campaigning (i.e hiring a lobbyist) can result in the loss of that status as well as legal action."

This statement is not true. A corporation can be not for profit and not be a 501c3. The 501c3 is what would prevent you from being politically active. But being incorporated in the State as a nonprofit doesn't require you to be a 501c3.

Time is crucial, I don't know if all this can be done before the midterm elections, but even if not, how long would it take to set all this up? I've seen mention of some kind of bill trying to undo our MM law or having it amended so it'd take control away from us, I don't know if it'd be voted on the the people in Nov. or not- I'm concerned about doing something to stop it, and also stay focused on the patients' bill of rights; I've seen some excellent posts about what should be included in that bill, it's a good foundation to build on and work from.

Lobbyists are very expensive, are they not? I agree they've ruined this country, but part of me says if our opposition can have lobbyists, so can we. Raising money will be a problem, unfortunately. Big money and influence are why our opponents are so powerful, and they know it. They have a hundred plus dollars a plate dinners and other fundraisers, they pay big bucks for reps to do their bidding. In order to have any chance of wining our cause, the information needs to be out there and people need to act on it. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

We also need to stay focused on candidates who are MM friendly and be sure they'll follow through when elected.

Sb

Archived