Study: Marijuana Doesn't Affect Driving Performance

I was doing a little light reading and thought you all would like to take a gander at this interesting article.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2010/05/study_marijuana_doesnt_affect_driving_performance.php#more

It's something most seasoned pot smokers already know, but still it's nice to get more scientific confirmation: Marijuana doesn't make you wreck your car.

Subjects show almost identical driving skills just before and just after smoking marijuana, according to a study published in the March issue of the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.

Investigators from Hartford Hospital in Connecticut and the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine measured the simulated driving performance of 85 people in a double-blind, placebo controlled trial.

Volunteers responded to various simulated events associated with auto crash risk, such as avoiding a driver who was entering an intersection illegally, deciding to stop or go through a changing traffic light, responding to the presence of emergency vehicles, avoiding colliding with a dog who entered into traffic, and maintaining safe driving during a secondary (in-the-car) sound distraction.

Test subjects performed the tests sober, and then again 30 minutes after smoking a joint containing wither 2.9 percent THC or a placebo joint with no THC.

The volunteers performed virtually the same after smoking marijuana as they did sober and/or after smoking bunk pot. "No differences were found during the baseline driving segment (and the) collision avoidance scenarios," the scientists reported.

One reason no increase in accidents is associated with marijuana may be the well known "little old lady" syndrome, in which pot-smoking drivers slow down and drive more cautiously to compensate for any slight impairment that may occur.

"Participants receiving active marijuana decreased their speed more so than those receiving placebo cigarette during (the) distracted section of the drive," the study reported.

Authors suggested that test subjects' reduction in speed on this task could mean that they were compensating for perceived impairment.

"No other changes in driving performance were found," researchers concluded.

A 2008 driving simulator study published in the scientific journal Accident, Analysis and Prevention also found that drivers who smoked marijuana were more likely to decrease their driving speed.

"Average speed was the most sensitive driving performance variable affected by both THC and alcohol but with an opposite effect," investigators reported. "Smoking THC cigarettes caused drivers to drive slower in a dose-dependent manner, while alcohol caused driers to drive significantly faster than in 'control' conditions."

The federal government's Department of Transportation (DOT) did research with a fully interactive simulator on the effects of alcohol and marijuana, alone and in combination, on driver behavior and performance ("The Effects of Alcohol on Driver-Controlled Behavior in a Driving Simulator, Phase I," DOT-HS-806-414). The study found that alcohol consistently and significantly caused impairment -- but that marijuana only had an occasional effect.

A more recent federal study found that "THC [the active ingredient in marijuana] is not a profoundly impairing drug... It apparently affects controlled information processing in a variety of laboratory tests, but not to the extent which is beyond the individual's ability to control when he is motivated and permitted to do so in driving" ("Marijuana and Actual Performance," DOT-HS-808-078).

The federal study says that "It appears not possible to conclude anything about a driver's impairment on the basis of his/her plasma concentrations of THC... determined in a single sample."

speed uk, i think was the show.... it was on u tube.... they show the guy blaze a fatty then get in and drive the host thru a closed road coarse. the host says no visible effects and he'd gladly drive with a stoner any time lol. I wont condone it.... but when i had to hustle to supply my meds, i drove high ever day for 6 plus years. ive only had one accident in my life.... i was sober lol ;)

Id rather see a study on how much better drivers who smoke marijuana are then drivers who talk on a cell phone. Head 2 head Marijuana smokes the competition lol

I would like to see a head to head (Cannabis) compilation any day. I can almost bet that Cannabis would come out on top every time!

LEO are not inforcing the new text law while behind the wheel. I was witness to a cop giving a nod to a texter downtown kzoo. the texter was clearly using both hands. (I could see very clearly b/c i was standing on the curb that the texter almost hit.) the cop whipped around the car and pulled up next to them at a Red Light. A nod, then the cop sped off. the Texter did their thing thoughout the entire process.

selective police protection. love it.

LEO are not inforcing the new text law while behind the wheel. I was witness to a cop giving a nod to a texter downtown kzoo. the texter was clearly using both hands. (I could see very clearly b/c i was standing on the curb that the texter almost hit.) the cop whipped around the car and pulled up next to them at a Red Light. A nod, then the cop sped off. the Texter did their thing thoughout the entire process.

selective police protection. love it.

I think as of now cellphone law is a secondary offense, meaning you cant be pull over JUST for talking on cellphone but can be ticketed if its along with another offense.

from: http://www.michigancriminaldefensefirm.com/CriminalBlog/2010/April/State-Senate-Passes-Texting-While-Driving-Law.aspx

Michigan State Senate Passes Texting While Driving Law

The state senate recently passed a bill that makes texting while driving a primary offense. The bill now moves to the state of House of Representatives for another vote.

If the bill passes, texting while driving would carry a $100 fine for a first offense and a $200 fine for a second or subsequent offense.

The bill could become law as soon as July 1 of this year.

Under current Michigan law, texting while driving is a secondary offense, which means police cannot ticket a driver for texting unless the driver committed another traffic offense.

State Sen. Raymond Basham (D-Taylor) said the purpose of the legislation isn't to punish drivers, but to fix the texting while driving problem in Michigan.

Looks like it will be a primary offense soon (possibly as soon as July 1) good to hear. People are texting and driving wayyy too much. Survival of the fittest I guess.

from: http://www.michigancriminaldefensefirm.com/CriminalBlog/2010/April/State-Senate-Passes-Texting-While-Driving-Law.aspx

Michigan State Senate Passes Texting While Driving Law

The state senate recently passed a bill that makes texting while driving a primary offense. The bill now moves to the state of House of Representatives for another vote.

If the bill passes, texting while driving would carry a $100 fine for a first offense and a $200 fine for a second or subsequent offense.

The bill could become law as soon as July 1 of this year.

Under current Michigan law, texting while driving is a secondary offense, which means police cannot ticket a driver for texting unless the driver committed another traffic offense.

State Sen. Raymond Basham (D-Taylor) said the purpose of the legislation isn't to punish drivers, but to fix the texting while driving problem in Michigan.

Looks like it will be a primary offense soon (possibly as soon as July 1) good to hear. People are texting and driving wayyy too much. Survival of the fittest I guess.

I agree, cant tell you how many times i see little teeny boppers texting while taking up 2 lanes

Archived