Sick Plant? Red Stems

I have a clone approx 3 weeks old, growing great getting big. But 3 stems are turning red and leaves are curling up, these are 2 bigger leaves at top and one smaller one at the bottom. The newer leaves are green and look great. Should I be concerned? Is it sick?

Pic's would really help. Having red stems could be a number of things and none of them may actually be part of the curling. How big is it? What medium are you using? What are you using for lights? What's the average temp in your garden? What nutrients or fertilizer are you using? What are you using for water?

Pic's would really help. Having red stems could be a number of things and none of them may actually be part of the curling. How big is it? What medium are you using? What are you using for lights? What's the average temp in your garden? What nutrients or fertilizer are you using? What are you using for water?

It is 9" tall, It is fox farms ocean forest, I use fox farms nutes, I have 2 150watt hps lights in a 3x3 area. They are approx. 2' above the top of the plant. The temp is 72F. Water I use tap water the PH is ok, although i may have let my water get too warm as it was sitting in a warm area

If the clone was taken from a female showing her sex, deviations in initial growth occur often. The further along in the budding cycle she is, the more "abnormal" the clones growth will appear when growth begins. Treat them normally, and they will most likely begin growing normally. From your pictures, they look healthy.

things look fine to me. your numbers sound good. if the new growth is green and rapid, then i think you are fine. the one leaf at the bottom is going to fall off. that looks like it was one of the original clone leaves. you can see where the tips of the leaves were cut.

med_gallery_13801_60_11342.jpg

those plants look fine. did you get the clones from me? I always clip the leaves of my clones. less water needed for the clipping to survive, leaving enough leaf to make food, NO doubt that there's new growth when full leaves develop and I like being able to tell whats new and whats old

Most experienced growers trim the clone leaves. This limits the amount of aspiration area on the cutting; meaning there is less plant material to support during root formation. No roots make it hard for the cutting to support water pressure; limiting the amount of leaf on a cutting improves the survival rate.

Have a batch going now from seed in hydro that has leaf stems that are red on the top but I can't find anything else to indicate that there might be a problem. I had a great soil batch from clone that had red stems early on and they turned out great.

Wish it meant that it was Panama Red! lol That would be nice! lol

This is what I've found:

Red stem is often the first sign of a nitrogen defciency. This can be because you need to add Nitrogen or you need to adjust your PH so that your plant can actually absorb the Nitrogen. Almost all clones have red stems.. this is not a problem at all.. But when you have a plant that has a green stalk and it is 3 weeks old and you still want to veg it for 3 more weeks and you notice that the stalk is starting to go red and spread to secondary growth, then you should take some action... Eventually the plant will/can turn completely red and all the stems will become spindley and brittle...

~

Cannabis Nutrient And Deficiency Table

To use the table just match up the plants symptoms with those on the table. Nutrients that are shaded Red are the problem. Find that nutrient in the text below the table for the remedy.

SYMPTOMS N P K Ca S Mg Fe Mn B Mb Zn Cu Over Fert. Yellow Upper Leaves No No No No Yes No Yes No No No No No No Yellow Middle Leaves No No No No No No No No No Yes No No No Yellow Lower Leaves Yes Yes Yes No No Yes No No No No No No No Red Stems Yes Yes Yes No No Yes No No No No No No No Necrosis No No Yes No No Yes No Yes Yes No No Yes No Spots No No No No No No No Yes No No No No No Growing Shoots Die No No No No No No No No Yes No No No No White Leaf Tips No No No No No Yes No No No No Yes No No Stunted Growth Yes Yes No Yes No No No No No No No No No Deformed New Growth No Yes No No No No No No No No No No No Yellow Tips No No No No No No No No No No No No Yes Twisted Growth No No No No No No No No Yes No No No No

NITROGEN (N) Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week.

PHOSPHORUS (P) Slow or stunted growth, red stems. Smaller leaves that are dark green. Lower leaves yellow and die. Add chemical fertilizer containing P. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will apear normal.

POTASSIUM (K) Affected plants are usually tallest and appear to be most vigorous. Necrotic spots form on lower leaves. Red stems. Leaves appear pale or yellow. Add chemical fertilizer containing K.

CALCIUM (Ca) Lack of calcium in the soil results in the soil becoming too acid. This leads to Mg or Fe deficiency or very slow stunted growth. Treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until condition improves.

SULFER (S) Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.

MAGNESIUM (Mg) Lower leaves yellow and may even turn white while veins remain dark green. Blades die and curl upward.

IRON (Fe) Leaves on growing shoots turn pale and veins remain dark green. pH imbalances make iron insoluble. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Fe or rusty water.

MANGANESE (Mn) Necrotic and yellow spots form on top leaves. Mn deficiency occurs when large amounts of Mg are present in the soil. Foliar feed with any chemical fertilizer containing Mn.

BORON (B) Growing shoots turn grey or die. Growing shoots appear burnt. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water.

MOLYBDENUM (Mb) Yellowing of middle leaves. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Mb.

ZINC (Zn) White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

OVER FERTILIZATION Causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. To correct soil should be flushed with three gallons of water per one gallon of soil.

~

Check this page out as well:

http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/plant_abuse.html

Archived