The Real Cinderella Story

Here is a quote by Mr. Soul of Bros. Grimm:

I’ve been seeing a lot of posts from people asking for the “Cinderella Story”, so here it is:

In 1997, I discovered a few seeds in a bud of Jack Herer I bought @ “Sensi Smile” coffeeshop in Amsterdam while there to buy seeds. I didn’t expect much when I grew them, but one of those seeds from the JH bud produced a very special female that I call “Princess”.

Therefore Princess’ mother was a Jack Herer (IF we can believe what Sensi Smile printed on the package) and her father is a totally unidentified mystery plant.

I also got 2 more females (Genius & Cafe’Girl) & several males from those seeds. I used pollen from one of the males on a heavy-yielding, dense, resinous ShivaSkunk (from Sensi Seedbank) female, then grew the resulting seeds to get males to produce pollen to cross Princess with, beginning the cubing process. The first generation of seeds from Princess were called P.50 because they were 50% Princess. I used males from the P.50 generation to back-cross to Princess to get P.75 and again back-crossed with the P.75 pollen to get P.88 and again with the P.88 pollen to get P.94 which is “Cinderella 99″, a cubed version of Princess.

The name “Cinderella” was chosen because of the parallels between this story and the well-known fairy tale in which Cinderella becomes a Princess despite her humble beginning. It’s also VERY similar to the story of the “Morgan Horse”…go Figure

I found this on another forum, interesting history that I really did not know until now.

I myself have never bought beans that didnt come wrapped in bud.But I'm happy the seed banks are there if I need them though I doubt I ever will.I

knew a guy once who grew outdoors and he would have a separate garden for making seeds.He said that separate garden would make thousands of seeds for

the next year and he said when he planted that many the next year a few and I mean a limited few always shined above the rest with production or resin

content.I dont think he knew about revegging or cloning If I ever run into him again I bet he would have a kick donkey harem of mother plants in no time going to bat

with those numbers. This plant never ceases to amaze me. I like the part about its humble beginings

Here is something slightly more detailed that I have saved in my archives. There is some interesting information in it. If I remember right it is a few seperate writings compiled and posted somewhere by Soul.:

MrSoul

------------------

Cindy99 Notes

"Princess was obtained from growing out seeds found in buds of Jack Herer that was purchased in Amsterdam at the "Sensi-Smile" coffee shop, an authorized outlet of Sensi Seed Bank. Thus, it is considered to be an f2 generation Jack Herer. The seeds were found only in the deepest part of the buds indicating that the father was an unusually early-maturing JH that the growers missed at first."

"Princess is a female which resulted from a seed found in a Jack Herer bud I bought in Amsterdam near the Sensi Seed Bank at "Coffeeshop Sensi Smile". The bud came in a 2 gr. cello-pack with the Sensi logo; I expected sinsemilla, but it had about 10 seeds so I assume she's an F2 JH. Her characteristics were so fine I wanted to create seeds that would "replicate" this plant. She has the KILLER Haze-influenced high with the most DELICIOUS pineapple/evil scent, 50 day maturation in 12/12, and incredible resin production, doesn't stretch - yet clearly Sativa-dominant! Last but not least: Never a hint of hermaphrodism after 2 years of cloning & many different styles of grow.

I wanted to "cube" Princess but add a little beef to her branches because the buds were always too heavy at harvest and branches needed staking to keep from flopping over. I crossed my ShivaSkunk female with one of the males from the same group of seeds that Princess came from. THIS cross produced a male which was then crossed to Princess, creating "P.50" (using a shorthand notation I developed to indicate the fraction of Princess genes in the cross).

Each generation is the result of crossing a male from the previous generation to Princess herself (incestuous, I know).

Blow-by-blow description of the generations:

P.50 = Heavy, single-cola type plants with mellow high (too much influence from the ShivaSkunk) Sweet fruity scent/flavor. Unstable in most traits - for example, 10 days difference in fastest/slowest maturation period in a group of 20 seedlings.

P.75 = Plants leaning MUCH more in the direction of Princess in floral cluster and bud structure, scent/flavor turned more "tropical" like pineapple. The stability was becoming better - two major phenotypes; short & dense (potent too) or tall/HUGE (Not so potent).

P.88 = Renamed Cinderella 88 when first released on the market. It grows fast and produces excellent yields of FROSTY buds in 7 weeks! Generally uniform seedlings with minor differences in floral formation and some height variance, but the smoke is quite consistent from all plants - Dense, heavy nuggets of fruity scented & flavored (like wild berries) and covered in resin glands, the dried buds have distinctly ORANGE pistils.

And now P.94 = Cinderella 99. This project has been a huge success. The strain has been embraced by the "net"work of growers with rave reviews.

The Bros. Grimm too have been recognized for their excellent combination of quality products and unparalleled service after the sale. There's NO OTHER seed bank that has it's breeders on the net answering questions from "newbies" 40 hours/week, and the info is first-rate; even details of their breeding strategies are openly discussed so that the seed buyer can feel well-informed about the products BG offer.

I personally think the plants these Cinderella 99 seeds produce are every bit as good as a cutting from Princess herself (or better). I say better because the flavor of no two plants is "identical"; there's a personality to all living things. Like Princess herself, Cinderella is sweet & fruity to the palette and nose, and when you take a hit you're BLASTED...with the same "racy" high as Princess! The improvement comes in the yield department; 25% greater yield and a stronger branch structure, which I accomplished by starting with some ShivaSkunk genes in the original father in the cubing process. I knew I'd blend out the majority of the traits from ShivaSkunk in the cubing process, but I was hoping to incorporate the ShivaSkunk's stronger branches because Princess had a tendency to need supports in the final two weeks of flowering. As it turns out, I got lucky and it worked. The name suits the strain IMO - it's a true Cinderella Story."

"Jack Herer is an unstable strain bred from an unequal combination of Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze. Crossing a male and female Jack Herer creates an F2 generation which has a HUGE number of possible recombinations of the genes. I grew out some Jack Herer F2s and discovered a SPECIAL one, "Princess", which has many improvements on the original JH such as a shorter flowering time, denser bud structure and pineapple scent/flavour. I have been continually back crossing Princess with her male offspring (generation after generation) which eventually creates a stabilized strain having her special characteristics found reliably in most females grown from those seeds. Each generation is composed of a 50% genetic contribution from Princess (since she's the seed parent) and a 50% contribution from the pollen parent (which also has an increasing percentage of Princess' genetics with each generation). The progression goes: P.50, P.75, P.88, P.94, and P.97...at that point it's considered stabilized (a male and female P.97 can be crossed and the offspring are essentially the same as the parents). I have been VERY pleased with the way this project is going; even the P.75 generation was rather stable in the sense that the individuals were all rather uniform and HIGH quality. The P.88 seeds are available now, and the P.94 will be available around Christmas time. So, you see, since I have combined genes from Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze, creating a plant which has characteristics distinctly different than Jack Herer, and I'm creating a stable strain from this plant... it's legitimately MY work."

"I used Shiva Skunk from Sensi Seeds as a minor component in the development of Cinderella .... I crossed a fine female Shiva Skunk with a brother of Princess, then grew a male from those seeds to begin the cubing process with." - MrSoul

There is another nice story about C-99 in The Big Book of Buds volume 2 on page 33.

Yep, read that story many times but I remember it being at Cannabis World not Overgrow. The Brothers Grimm and many other breeders had their own forum at Cannabis World and that's where this info comes from. Soul fielded many questions about the Brothers Grimm lines at CW.

Yes Apollo13 and 11 were made with Princess offspring and crossed to the Genius clone.

It is very interesting how Soul took something as unstable as Jack Herrer and made C99. The seeds that popped out of that Jack Herrer bud must have been crossed with something fast. Jack Herrer isn't near as fast as C99. Anyway that's my speculation, I think the Jack Herrer buds were tainted with stray pollen.

Soul did a wonderful job and made quite an offering to our community. It sure would be cool if he fired up the presses and started breeding again.

Just for the record Soul states that Princess finished in 7 weeks, that's 49 days. So that Greenman dude is full of ........!

Overgrow became swamped with all the kindergarten kids and all the adults went to CW. I believe OG came first then CW and Eurohemp. LOL I was mostly at Heatherbud's new site most of the time, Cannagenetics. Hope she is doing okay.

They were both (OG & CW) established when I came onto the scene. I used to visit Heatherbuds site for genetic information. Cinderella99 was the talk of the cannabis community at the time and I had to have her and scored 3 packs of Original C99 from HS. The description fit the bill for the killer old Colombian stuff we used to get way back. When I grew her out she had that old school effect with an awesome new world flavor, didn't hermie, finished in 50 - 60 days and produces some of the most beautiful frost covered buds I've ever seen.

What more can ya say? She's the bomb!

Archived