Bong Cleaning Tips

And using any product that leaves a scent behind means some compounds are being left behind to be sucked up later, and I'm not comfortable with that either.

No scent is left after a thorough rinsing, the citrus just

helps to keep that nasty bong water smell from making

the job less pleasant. Lemons and salt are used to clean

coffee pots, citrus is used for cleaning many things and

I don't believe if in the event I might not rinse my bong

well, a little orange oil is going to affect anything or

be harmful. JMO :)

peace

And using any product that leaves a scent behind means some compounds are being left behind to be sucked up later, and I'm not comfortable with that either.

No scent is left after a thorough rinsing, the citrus just

helps to keep that nasty bong water smell from making

the job less pleasant. Lemons and salt are used to clean

coffee pots, citrus is used for cleaning many things and

I don't believe if in the event I might not rinse my bong

well, a little orange oil is going to affect anything or

be harmful. JMO :)

peace

Does Lysol have real citrus in it, or just an artificial citrus smell made from different chemicals.

I am just saying, with all the crap that causes messed up stuff, that we all need to be careful of what we use on our smoking or vaping equipment. I use Cannabis to better my health, and I will not trust super produced chemicals on my smoking equipment. I hardly trust most the food I eat, but that is a different story for a different thread...

And I dont want to argue, I was just asking if Lysol uses real citrus, or a chemical concoction to smell like citrus?

PS, I am medicating, and I am usually chillaxed, sorry if I came off strong.

• 1 month later...

i rock 3 sheldon black's a 8 arm 14 inch a 18 inch beaker and a 22 inch strait and i use only Simple green or alcohal. Ive been tempted to rock some Oxyclean but have yet to pick any up. I can tell you i will never put salt or rice in my bong's they cause micro scratching and can make the glass foggy after years of use.

• 11 months later...

Kosher salt, Acetone (i found acetone works faster at breaking down the tar than alcohol)

First I rinse the bong with hot water to loosen and warm up the glass, then I pour in some acetone, and some kosher salt, dont be afraid to use a table spoon or so... and shake it like crazy..... stop look.... shake some more....

Finish rinsing with warm water.

For bong stems use regular iodized salt, as it works into the little areas better than the large pieces of kosher salt.

The best cleaner on the market is Grunge Off Super Soaker. It's a citric degreaser. Other citrus degreasers work well too but none better than GO. Simple Green is another good soaking agent.

Other than that 91%+ isopropyl alcohol and salt. Salt puts microabrasions on the glass so if you're a high end collector like myself avoid using salt in your more expensive, one of a klnd pieces.

Do not buy anything from a headshop unless it is Grunge off. All others are cheap gimmicks... especially Formula 420... its salt and alcohol at an extreme markup nothing more.

Edited by Sinsemillaplease

Well HJ,

Oxyclean has my vote.

It even cleaned the difficult

little places in my bubbler

that I couldn't remove b4.

Just for the heck of it, I took

an old stone pipe that I felt

had no hope. Other than the

staining of the stone itself,

all gunk gone w/ the oxyclean.

Actually, I used a store brand

that I had already.

Think I will dig out that old

chamber pipe now and give

her a good soaking too.

Might also get a polident tab

from my neighbor and give

that a go for comparison.

Thanks for that input IMIUBU. You guys are always there to help people who don't have all the information. You are a nice human being. I will try some OXY just to see for myself.

I've been using alcohol and salt lately but it will eat the enamel finish or whatever that is on the outside colored areas of a dugout bat, so watch it for that!

Good medicine to you today, and may peace find you today.

• 2 weeks later...

Too lazy to read the whole post I hope I am not repeating someones post.

In the Old Days we used to use a coffee pot cleaner called Dip It. It is safe with plastic and does not have any dangerous residues, as it is food quality safe.

PS Bisharoo good to see You active.

Thank you HE Warmke, nice to be seen! Ha Ha!! Thanks for the tip as well. I remember Dip-it cleaner. I believe it works great, but the front of the package says "Harmful if swallowed" and "Eye Irritant", so I don't know, but I am sure it would rinse away OK. I bet it works great though!

Dip-it for sale

• 3 months later...

Very cool thread. Its never fun cleaning the bong, and everyone loves a clean bong. I've always used salt and warm water, always slowly heating up the bong avoiding heat stress cracks :growl: Broke a brand new bong once putting it right under steaming hot water. The lady at the Head shop understood though and thank god helped us out and reimbursed us with a brand new one!!! After reading this though I'm for sure going to try the salt and 93% Iso. Sounds like this could be quite effective.

About the best thing that I founs to clean my glass pipes and bongs was coffee. Yes COFFEE. Soak your bong in some HOT coffee.for a few hours. I dont know why it cleans so well but our pipes come out looking brand new and there are no acratches.from the.salt. And yes salt will scratch glass. I was in the food service industry for many years and we used to clean our coffee pots with salt and there were always acratches in our coffee pots. So next timw you have extra coffee in your pot that you are going to throw away put it in your bong and keep it hot and IT WILL CLEAN YOUR BONG. Then you dont have to worry about it being food safe because what could be more safe than something you drink everyday anyways. Try it and let me know what you think.