Need Sum New Dirt

sknkwrks

isnt the pro mix a soilless medium does it need to be cut with any thing or is it ready to go? do you feed/water more with a mix like that?

Last week they had many different recipes on here for soil, pretty sure you can find the recipes under Tutorials, I have been using Bacco but will start mixing my own due to the high price of the Bacco.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

$25 a bag at almost every shop.

You MUST keep the pH of the water you put in the soil at 6.8-7.2... Any water going into the soil with a pH below 6.7-6.6 and you will begin having nutrient availability problems. It's a tight pH range but if you keep it there you will not have ANY problems.

It's the absolute BEST organic soil mixture you can use. Use it from seed to bud with very little need for adding fertilizer. Near mid-bloom phase you will need to add some more potassium. Fox Farms Big Bloom helps out TREMENDOUSLY during bloom.

I don't recommend the standard lines of ProMix...

The biggest problem I have with Premier ProMix is that most, if not all, of thier media (ESPECIALLY the fungicidial mixes) are clearly NOT organic and are nothing more than soil-less peat moss mixed with non-organic liquid fertilizer.

Here is the product site for the BX Biofungicide - http://www.premierho...orticulture.htm [click on 'with biofungicide', then click the 'bx', first one on the list]

Looking under "Components" you can see a short listing of some of the stuff in the media. Now everything on that list seems cool until you get down to Macronutrients, Micronutrients and then Wetting Agent. Now, if you read the BAG to see what those three elements consist of themselves, you'll clearly see that it is definitely NOT organic.

The only organic line of ProMix is this line of soils - http://www.premierho.../fGardening.htm [click on 'Pro-Mix Organic Media' on the left hand menu]

What's really unfortunate is that the ProMix organic mediums are fairly good considering thier low price but they are hard to find in local stores. You almost HAVE to purchase it online...

What I do like about the Ultimate Organic Mix is that you can use it as a filler mixed in with your normal organic soil media. Which helps make your soil last longer. I have done this on many occasions with spectacular results. wink.gif

The PM Ultimate Organic Mix is good stuff but the nutrients in the mix do not last long at all. You get maybe 1 month of use out of 1 gallon of the soil-less mix before you start noticing deficiencies and have to start adding fertilizers and what not. So it's not a good single source media. But a good mixing agent it is!

Premier makes some good stuff, no doubt about that. But if a nice simple organic SOIL is what you're looking for, Pro-Mix is NOT the product you want to be using. It's simply not cost effective either way you look at it, from an organic point of view and an efficiency point of view. But if staying organic is not a concern and you enjoy mixing your own soil/soil-less compounds then Pro-Mix is probably the best medium in that aspect.

What ever works best for you is what you should do... I'm just sharing some knowledge. Apply it how you will; interpret it how you like...

I have used Fox Farms Ocean Forest for quite a long time. It works better than any conglamoration of fertilized peat moss you can find, from my experience simply because you can use it from seed to bud with little fertilizing AND it's 100% organic. I have also done a couple side by side tests with a lot of different soils and soil-less media, including Pro-Mix BX. Unfortunately all my testing is done, not to prove anything to others, but to help me learn what works best and what doesn't, for me... Thus, I don't have pictures or fancy charts to prove my experimentation, so I don't expect to be treated as if I hold any kind of crediblity. But at least the shared knowledge is there. Whether one wants to take it with a grain of salt or take it into consideration is obviously up to the reader.

Like I said, whatever works for you is what you should do. But I HIGHLY recommend that no one rule out anything until they have actually TRIED it. Do a couple side by sides with this stuff and FFOF, you'll see where I'm coming from eventually.

I have shared my secrets with this community on more than one occasion. I have explained how to use FFOF from seed to bud with little effort and even how to use FFOF for clones! Yes, clones. I clone straight into FFOF soil with 95-100% success rate, everytime! FFOF is NOT too "hot" for seedlings or clones. I have even given a hint at what I use to cut the soil with... Hell anymore information and you people may end up growing some truly exotic buds! Simple mistakes and a misunderstanding of the soil medium has resulted in a huge snowballed placebo affect towards the Fox Farms...

I've tried a lot of different mediums over the years, none seemed to work to well for me as most are too "hot". Then one day I splurged on a bag of Fox Farms Oceanic and used it for most of the grow and got a much better yield than ever before, and the micro/macro nutrients worked so well that they imparted truer flavors to the end product. I do remix, adding some additional worm castings and perlite to the soil. This soil seems 'cooler' nutrient wise and I've never had problems with burning up the seedlings like I did with most other products.

So....there ya go, another good report on this Fox Farm product...it is worth the extra $$, just for a bit of peace of mind...Peace...j.b.

What are the thoughts on the marical grow organic? my wife uses it for the house plants and for her tomatos and peppers i have never noticed any issues with the plants they all seem to be doing good. i must mention that after about a month she needs to add nutes to her water when she waters the tomatos and pepers they seem to eat up whats in the soil very quick. i have had a thought about using this on a few of my clips to see how it works. I think i may just to take care of the itch. but i would still like to hear every ones thoughts on the marical grow.

Ever wonder why none of the horticultural shops, such as Superior Growers Supply or Grow Green Michigan, never carry any kind of Miracle Grow products?

It's because the stuff is manufactured commercialized garbage. Even thier "organic" line of soil is not truly 100% organic. All MG soils have slow-release ingredients, all of which are NOT organic (even the organic line).

MG Soils are very unstable. Nutrients can be available to plants in toxic levels sometimes based on thier non-organic compounds, or not available in enough quantities other times also because of thier non-organic compounds. The slow-release feature really makes an unstable soil.

Will it work? Absoltutely. It will grow a plant. However, to maximize your cannabis plants potential and ensure you have safe, organic, clean medicine I highly recommend steering clear of Mircale Grow, or any other line of media that is non-organic for that matter.

What are the thoughts on the marical grow organic? my wife uses it for the house plants and for her tomatos and peppers i have never noticed any issues with the plants they all seem to be doing good. i must mention that after about a month she needs to add nutes to her water when she waters the tomatos and pepers they seem to eat up whats in the soil very quick. i have had a thought about using this on a few of my clips to see how it works. I think i may just to take care of the itch. but i would still like to hear every ones thoughts on the marical grow.

Ive used it, infact im budding a plant i used it on now.... u gotta do what u gotta do. but keep looking on top of what everyone one else has said, the leave this crap open, its full of bugs. every time ive used that i get fungus gnats or some other bug

the first time i ever grew was in regular miracal grow. the grow was not a intentional grow sum seeds got tossed in a old bucket that had sum soil in it from a batch of tomatos they grew and grew very well 3 small ladies totaling just over 5oz. not bad for three in a 5gal bucket with marical grow. ill let every one know what i deside to do maybe ill get sum pics up

I don't recommend the standard lines of ProMix ...

What ever works best for you is what you should do ... I'm just sharing some knowledge.

Apply it how you will ; interpret it how you like ...

Thanks for sharing ' THC-Farmer '

I really do apprciate you sharing your knowledge ...

I've been using Pro-Mix BX Biofungicide for over

8 months along w/ " Smart Pots "

I'm not No Master Grower , Im just learning ...

Everyone of my Harvest have been very Successful ...

Of course I'm not growing on a very large scale ,

only 3 plants at a time .

My last three Harvest did very well ...

1 ~ Free Leonard 3.1 Oz's , 1 ~ White Rhino 4.85 Oz's

and 1 ~ Pink Floyd 3.85 Oz's w/ proff .

Of course i feed them every other day ...

I feed a day , skip a day ...

then i Flush a day , skip a day ...

One Day i would like to try some of that

" Fox Farms Ocean Forest "

But if its working : Why Change ?

I sure wish you were up here by me ' THC-Farmer '

I would Love to show you my Girls ...

They are very Healthy Looking Plants...

Thanks for sharing ' THC-Farmer '

I really do apprciate you sharing your knowledge ...

I've been using Pro-Mix BX Biofungicide for over

8 months along w/ " Smart Pots "

I'm not No Master Grower , Im just learning ...

Everyone of my Harvest have been very Successful ...

Of course I'm not growing on a very large scale ,

only 3 plants at a time .

My last three Harvest did very well ...

1 ~ Free Leonard 3.1 Oz's , 1 ~ White Rhino 4.85 Oz's

and 1 ~ Pink Floyd 3.85 Oz's w/ proff .

Of course i feed them every other day ...

then i Flush a day , skip a day ...

One Day i would like to try some of that

" Fox Farms Ocean Forest "

But if its working : Why Change ?

I sure wish you were up here by me ' THC-Farmer '

I would Love to show you my Girls ...

They are very Healthy Looking Plants...

No doubt in my mind brotha! I would love to see your plants as well!

If it's working, don't change... That's what I say. :D

I'm just pointing out some important aspects of the different media, simply so that we're all aware of the differences and risks associated with it. Personally I prefer the organic natural method. But that doesn't mean it's the only way to grow our medicine. By no means am I implying that...

I don't cultivate large scale either. I just started very young (about 13yrs old was my first plant). I've done a lot of research since I started growing cannabis. I have even taken a couple Botany classes at SchoolCraft Community College. So my knowledge and growing methods tend to lean more towards science and a natural more earthy approach.

I grow for myself and a patient of mine. I consume a lot of cannabis though. And I mean A LOT. I can go through an ounce in about a week, sometimes two... But between the two of us we only need 12 plants. It works out nice.

At any rate, those are some impressive yields brotha. Keep up the good work man.

Thanks " THC-Farmer " Your a Good Man ...

Sorry it took so long to reply back ... One of those Days....

I really do appreciate your Advice and your Knowledge ...

That is Why I've been So Successful is because people like

You and others have Shared w/ Me ....

I cannot say how Thankful I'm am to those who have Shared

w/ Me how to Grow...

I 've always been pretty Good w/ our Vegetable Garden ...

So I've had some Garden Experience ,

But Nothing like You Bro .... Very Impressive ...

I really do Appreciate People like You around the Site...

Like i said Before... I 'll be So glad when i can get this girls

out of my Bedroom , So Jane and i can have our Bed Back ... LOL

I know there is ALWAYS room for Improvement ...

Im trying to fine tune the Flavor right Now....

I really do wish i had enough Pink Floyd to Share w/ everyone on

this Site... Those that have tasted her are Impressed....

The last 8 months I've some some of the Best Meds I 've ever Tasted ...

I would not be embarrassed for anyone to smoke mine Meds ...

Anyways, I would like to be More of an Organic Grower in Time ...

But I'm just doing what i can do for now, and learning as time goes by....

Thank You Again " THC-Farmer " , Hopefully one Day we will Meet :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried a lot of different mediums over the years, none seemed to work to well for me as most are too "hot". Then one day I splurged on a bag of Fox Farms Oceanic and used it for most of the grow and got a much better yield than ever before, and the micro/macro nutrients worked so well that they imparted truer flavors to the end product. I do remix, adding some additional worm castings and perlite to the soil. This soil seems 'cooler' nutrient wise and I've never had problems with burning up the seedlings like I did with most other products.

So....there ya go, another good report on this Fox Farm product...it is worth the extra $, just for a bit of peace of mind...Peace...j.b.

Yep once again we agree. I use 2 parts Ocean Forest, 2 parts perlite, 1 part worm castings and 1 teaspoon of lime for every 5 gallons of mix. You can't beat it.

I don't agree that you don't need to fertilize when using ocean forest. After 2 -3 weeks in pure ocean forest most strains will start showing deficiencies if not given supplemental nutrients. The manufacturer claims 3 weeks but 2 is more like it.

Also Fox Farm Ocean Forest is terrible for starting seeds in, it's too hot.

I do correct my PH and use a RO filter and I agree with your PH range but that's the normal PH range for soil growing.

I have been using Ocean Forest for a long time but I don't use it as a stand alone and I've never use it for starting seedlings since the time I burnt up a bunch of good beans long ago. If you research you will find what I'm saying to be true and many folks who use ocean Forest agree.

I add worm castings because OF doesn't have enough nitrogen to keep your plants green through an entire grow. Perlite helps fluff the mix up a little after adding the heavier worm castings. Light Warrior or Mycorrhizae gives a little bit of a microbial uptake boost. A teaspoon of lime to every 5 gallons of mix or every gallon of worm castings adds a little alkalinity to the castings and allows me use a little less cal mag when watering. This mix works great for flowering and veg.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

$25 a bag at almost every shop.

You MUST keep the pH of the water you put in the soil at 6.8-7.2... Any water going into the soil with a pH below 6.7-6.6 and you will begin having nutrient availability problems. It's a tight pH range but if you keep it there you will not have ANY problems.

It's the absolute BEST organic soil mixture you can use. Use it from seed to bud with very little need for adding fertilizer. Near mid-bloom phase you will need to add some more potassium. Fox Farms Big Bloom helps out TREMENDOUSLY during bloom.

I don't recommend the standard lines of ProMix...

The biggest problem I have with Premier ProMix is that most, if not all, of thier media (ESPECIALLY the fungicidial mixes) are clearly NOT organic and are nothing more than soil-less peat moss mixed with non-organic liquid fertilizer.

Here is the product site for the BX Biofungicide - http://www.premierho...orticulture.htm [click on 'with biofungicide', then click the 'bx', first one on the list]

Looking under "Components" you can see a short listing of some of the stuff in the media. Now everything on that list seems cool until you get down to Macronutrients, Micronutrients and then Wetting Agent. Now, if you read the BAG to see what those three elements consist of themselves, you'll clearly see that it is definitely NOT organic.

The only organic line of ProMix is this line of soils - http://www.premierho.../fGardening.htm [click on 'Pro-Mix Organic Media' on the left hand menu]

What's really unfortunate is that the ProMix organic mediums are fairly good considering thier low price but they are hard to find in local stores. You almost HAVE to purchase it online...

What I do like about the Ultimate Organic Mix is that you can use it as a filler mixed in with your normal organic soil media. Which helps make your soil last longer. I have done this on many occasions with spectacular results. wink.gif

The PM Ultimate Organic Mix is good stuff but the nutrients in the mix do not last long at all. You get maybe 1 month of use out of 1 gallon of the soil-less mix before you start noticing deficiencies and have to start adding fertilizers and what not. So it's not a good single source media. But a good mixing agent it is!

Premier makes some good stuff, no doubt about that. But if a nice simple organic SOIL is what you're looking for, Pro-Mix is NOT the product you want to be using. It's simply not cost effective either way you look at it, from an organic point of view and an efficiency point of view. But if staying organic is not a concern and you enjoy mixing your own soil/soil-less compounds then Pro-Mix is probably the best medium in that aspect.

What ever works best for you is what you should do... I'm just sharing some knowledge. Apply it how you will; interpret it how you like...

I have used Fox Farms Ocean Forest for quite a long time. It works better than any conglamoration of fertilized peat moss you can find, from my experience simply because you can use it from seed to bud with little fertilizing AND it's 100% organic. I have also done a couple side by side tests with a lot of different soils and soil-less media, including Pro-Mix BX. Unfortunately all my testing is done, not to prove anything to others, but to help me learn what works best and what doesn't, for me... Thus, I don't have pictures or fancy charts to prove my experimentation, so I don't expect to be treated as if I hold any kind of crediblity. But at least the shared knowledge is there. Whether one wants to take it with a grain of salt or take it into consideration is obviously up to the reader.

Like I said, whatever works for you is what you should do. But I HIGHLY recommend that no one rule out anything until they have actually TRIED it. Do a couple side by sides with this stuff and FFOF, you'll see where I'm coming from eventually.

I have shared my secrets with this community on more than one occasion. I have explained how to use FFOF from seed to bud with little effort and even how to use FFOF for clones! Yes, clones. I clone straight into FFOF soil with 95-100% success rate, everytime! FFOF is NOT too "hot" for seedlings or clones. I have even given a hint at what I use to cut the soil with... Hell anymore information and you people may end up growing some truly exotic buds! Simple mistakes and a misunderstanding of the soil medium has resulted in a huge snowballed placebo affect towards the Fox Farms...

• 2 weeks later...

Yep once again we agree. I use 2 parts Ocean Forest, 2 parts perlite, 1 part worm castings and 1 teaspoon of lime for every 5 gallons of mix. You can't beat it.

I use the exact same mix but I switch out the perlite for light warrior and add perlite until desired fluffyness. I would also like more available N, via fertilzer or I was thinking about using alfelfa pellets or some kind of slow release N instead.

While Miracle Grow does produce some very fine LOOKING cannabis growth, there is one major problem with it that simply cannot be overcome. Miracle Grow is a slow release nutrient source, every time that you water in Miracle Grow, more nutrients are released. We are supposed to "flush" our plants with plain water for two weeks prior to harvest, to wash the nutrients out of the plants systems. You cannot do that if everytime you water more nutrients are released. Anything grown in Miracle Grow will never be true medical grade cannabis, no way to do that true flush...IMHO...Peace...j.b.

the first time i ever grew was in regular miracal grow. the grow was not a intentional grow sum seeds got tossed in a old bucket that had sum soil in it from a batch of tomatos they grew and grew very well 3 small ladies totaling just over 5oz. not bad for three in a 5gal bucket with marical grow. ill let every one know what i deside to do maybe ill get sum pics up

• 2 weeks later...

i got my self some ocean forest. I transplanted my clones into it and they seem to be doing good. today is day 1 week 2 of flowering and week 3 in the ocean forest. at this point and time i was only planing on using the foxfarm big bloom, foxfarms beastie blooms, and molasses. should i use something with a lil more nitrogen or will i get enough from the molasses and the big bloom??

i got my self some ocean forest. I transplanted my clones into it and they seem to be doing good. today is day 1 week 2 of flowering and week 3 in the ocean forest. at this point and time i was only planing on using the foxfarm big bloom, foxfarms beastie blooms, and molasses. should i use something with a lil more nitrogen or will i get enough from the molasses and the big bloom??

This is why I use worm castings with the Ocean Forest. It's great and even a little hot at first but in the end plants grown in pure FFOF need some nitrogen and other nutes after a few weeks. The worm castings provide a great non urea based nitrogen. They don't make your buds taste harsh like most nitrogen will.

Archived