Electrical Problems! Need Help Asap!

Nemosity

Ok, wiring up an out building to power, installing a break box and outlets. Now I have done some electrical work in the past, but never had to install a new breaker box. I have two main wires coming in, both are spun aluminum 2 or 4 gauge. I have tied onto those wires at the pole with 10 gauge and ran it into the new breaker box. I had a main breaker on the top of the box, but with all the bullshat I am dealing with, I removed it and attached the two main wires into the slugs were the main breaker attachment used to be. I hooked the ground bar to the incoming water line into the building with 8 gauge. I have 120vac on and at the outlet from ground to one side, but not the other. Nothing is attached to the neutral bar besides the white wire going to the outlet. As soon as I plug anything into the outlet, the 120vac drops to 40vac. I am banging my head against a wall, trying to get this done to put my wife and family at ease and moving the grow to this out building but without power, it's hopeless. Any idea's? Thanks in advance, I'm going to go medicate and see if anything comes to me.

Ok, I have the red and the black going into the two main buses. There are no other wires for neutral coming in, only a ground which is tied to my main water line into the building, 1 1/4 in metal pipe. I have the ground tied to the neutral bus inside of the panel. Which, gives me 110-120 at the outlet (only one hooked up to test and make sure I did everything right) until such time as I plug anything into the outlet. Then it drops to 40-50 vac, with an incandescent light bulb looks like brown out. Maybe my ground is too skinny? or Bad connect in ground? Just not getting the amps, and I'm boggled.

Ok let me first say you have that thing all f'd up. Seriously hire an electrician. You are asking for more serious problems then the old lady bitching about the inside grow could ever give you. :)

With that being said... (and assuming all you connections are tight.)

The problem is you don't have a good enough ground. Connecting to the water main is the correct way but this out buildings water supply must not go very deep in the earth. Find a solid ground. Ground rods are terrible and don't work IMO, but you certainly could try some. Like 2 ground rods connected by #6 bare copper ran as far apart as possible, and bury the #6 between the connections. (like 30+') Are you tap'ed into the overhead ground atleast? If not you need to be.

Or, I got this crazy idea... where you just do it the right way. I know, I know, it sounds crazy... but bare with me. 4 conductors of #6 alum. from your house panel out to this building. Protected by a breaker! huh, huh, sounding good? Still need them 2 ground rods ran with #6 bare. Phased out neutral & ground bar too.

Erm... good luck?!

Ok, makes sense to me now. Has to be the ground, everything else is right and tight, wired correctly. So the ground kicked my arse on this one, I've had worse things happen. lol I'll pick up a couple rods tomorrow and some grounding strap and get this baby done. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciate it.

edit: just fyi, I have done electrical work before. But never had to install from the bottom up. Makes sense that the ground would kick me in the arse. Live and learn. Thanks again.

I have worked with much high voltages and current in the past. I just needed a little guidance. It's been awhile. lol I am sure I have this thing locked in now. Just need to set a new ground and all will be good. It explains all the craziness I have been chasing, low amp and under voltage while under load. I am 99% sure that it will work once I get the new ground system installed. :) I am always happiest when those around me are happy. Tomorrow will be a good day.

Sunk two 8' ground rods down after pulling both the old ones out. The old ones were only three feet long, and they were all corroded old steel rod. Took a bit of physical help to sink them in, but it all went well and there is now the correct voltage in the building. Good to go! Thanks for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived