Medical Marijuana At Work

An April 15 ruling by the Oregon Supreme Court states that employers do not have to accommodate employees’ use of medical marijuana. The ruling stated that although medical marijuana is excluded from state criminal statutes under the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program program, it is still considered an “illegal drug” under federal law. About 26,00 Oregon residents carry valid medical marijuana cards, and 14 states, including Oregon, Washington and California, have some sort of law permitting its use. Should employees be allowed to use medical marijuana? What do you think?

An April 15 ruling by the Oregon Supreme Court states that employers do not have to accommodate employees’ use of medical marijuana. The ruling stated that although medical marijuana is excluded from state criminal statutes under the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program program, it is still considered an “illegal drug” under federal law. About 26,00 Oregon residents carry valid medical marijuana cards, and 14 states, including Oregon, Washington and California, have some sort of law permitting its use. Should employees be allowed to use medical marijuana? What do you think?

Hmm i think this could be very helpful in some cases, and very scary in others! Like if i was something more like a sales person/ secretary / etc it would be great. But i would be scared if my job involved heavy equipment or lets say for instance i was a cop :P . If my partner decided to medicate during our shift and start playing with his gun, that would be scary! I think it could DEFF. work in certain situations.

420Peace Michael,

This is a thought provoking question.

Let's see...

If your work is on the creative side of life without interaction with dangerous objects, materials or involving life and death decisions then it seams O.K.

In others words safe use...

But then there are occupations that likely require the a certain level of MMJ sobriety because of public safety issues.

What is that level I do not know.

Guest finallyfree09

employers shouldn't be able to fire someone for using marijuana recreationally. so... i think that pretty much sums up how i feel about a person being fired for mmj. there is no difference to me. privacy and freedom are something that NO govt or employer should be able to mess with... PERIOD. :angry:

Great question Mr. Komorn. Sure, I would love to be able to take my meds at work just as someone would be able to take their prescribed vicodin or whatever. I know this to be nearly impossible at this moment in time though. Not too many employers would be willing to risk that much liability. It will take the "coming out of the closet" regarding the use MMJ of many professionals and others like Politicians, that mindset's will change.

420Peace Michael,

This is a thought provoking question.

Let's see...

If your work is on the creative side of life without interaction with dangerous objects, materials or involving life and death decisions then it seams O.K.

In others words safe use...

But then there are occupations that likely require the a certain level of MMJ sobriety because of public safety issues.

What is that level I do not know.

A car is heavy equipment. And you can drive with the meds in your system, just not under the influence. So why can't you work with it in your system, but not under the influence. Like smoking a joint at 9:00pm and sleeping, then heading to work at 7:00am. B)

Guest finallyfree09

A car is heavy equipment. And you can drive with the meds in your system, just not under the influence. So why can't you work with it in your system, but not under the influence. Like smoking a joint at 9:00pm and sleeping, then heading to work at 7:00am. B)

yeah... what you said. :)

employers shouldn't be able to fire someone for using marijuana recreationally. so... i think that pretty much sums up how i feel about a person being fired for mmj. there is no difference to me. privacy and freedom are something that NO govt or employer should be able to mess with... PERIOD. angry.gif

can I get fired for using methadone for pain at work?

Can I get fired if I drink the nite before I go to work?

Can I get fired if I get hurt at work while on prescribed narcotics?

Can I get fired if I use marijuana the nite before I go to work?

You raise a good question but I beleive many like that have been around a long time!

I think it would depend on the job but that would be a matter of opinion. many jobs would be alright if you medicated at or before work. Many other jobs would be dangerous so I think it best to keep it off work hours. Although salemen would probably be more fun if medicated at work.

Guest finallyfree09

can I get fired for using methadone for pain at work?

Can I get fired if I drink the nite before I go to work?

Can I get fired if I get hurt at work while on prescribed narcotics?

Can I get fired if I use marijuana the nite before I go to work?

You raise a good question but I beleive many like that have been around a long time!

Yeah I know. But I will always feel this way. As long as a person is not under the influence on the job, its nobody's business what goes on in their private life. The fact that so many americans are willing to give up their rights to save themselves from mostly imaginary danger is sickening.

Archived