Dr. Ruth Buck, Md- Dea

For anyone who has visited and received their physcian certifications from Mid-Michigan Medical Marijuana, relax, everything is ok. Dr. Ruth was indited after a year long investigation by the DEA for "alleged" wrongful distribution of pain medications. This has NO affect on her medical license and she can and will continue to meet with patients and review medical conditions to verify state criterea. This investigation has gone on for a long time. Having been postponed many times, it's still unclear what they think she was doing but feel the level/amount of narcotics she prescribed was "too much". She treated the seriously ill, undertreated, and folks no one else would take. She worked with hospice patients and is a caring and compassionate doctor. The DEA really doesn't like the doctors up here who prescribe what they feel are "too much". She will go to trial sometime this next year or so and finally be able to provide a defense. With the grand jury, no defense is allowed and they pretty much get whatever indictment they want.

They may not like the fact that she is working with patients who find benefit from legal medical marijuana but they can't do anything about it. For anyone who has met her I think they'll agree she's compassionate, caring and one of the "good" ones out there.

So my family doc wouldn't sign the form, had to seek out to doc in Kzoo.

Me thinks that pressure from the DEA makes docs nervous about what they prescribe and how much is dosed out.

Like working in the factories, big head honcho from Japan sight seeing his little minions nervously toiling... attempting not to be the first to signal them fancy alarms.

Docs don't want to be the victim of the DOJ and make their patients suffer for lack of care.

I seen some documentary on a news channel about a doc out west who was foxed with by the DEA, had his license pulled, went to court and was cleared of everything. Had his license restored but he was broke from all the expenses (lawyers/travel/ect...).

I am glad there is the Holistic Health Clinic in Kzoo, traveling caravans and the compassion clubs who host visiting docs.

The war on drugs have really done a number on doctors that treat pain. This has devastated not only Dr. Buck but her many patients who have been left finding it difficult to get treatment. She was truly one of a kind. Her patients supported her, the DEA basically put her out of practice and patients needing pain management in a terrible bind. It will take a lot of money and more time to defend against these charges. I worked with her back in her other practice and what the DEA didn't take when they raided her office were the over 150 files of drug screens and tests and lists of patients who were dropped. That didn't seem to help their case. It's the patients that suffer. No wonder doctors are terrified to actually treat pain. Medical Marijuana does help, it's legal and shes good at what she does.

My former doctor was asked to leave the clinic where he worked for signing TOO MANY recommendations, the government is surely giving chit to the doctors that are compassionate but HOW are they finding out about them?

If your doc was asked to leave, it was a clinic issue and not the government. Many clinics have taken the position of "no certifications".. especially if they receive any FEDERAL monies. I can understand that, but as a private practice, it's pretty short sighted. The state DOES NOT release information. It would have to be the practice's policy. It's going to take some time before the medical community starts to "get it" about the benefits of medical marijuana.

I, Dr. Buck, appreciate the support from patients and Medical Marijuana users. I am not the only MD singled out by the DEA. The DEA is using a tactic of listing the number of tablets prescribed. Note, unless you sit down and count how many of tablets of any medication you get, all numbers sound unrealistic. For example if you get a drug written for one a day, that is 30/month and 360/yr. Two tablets/day is 60/month, and 720/year. Three tablets/month is 90/month and 1080/year. A typical dose for some medicines may be 4/day, 120/month and 1440/year. Think about your medicines and the number of tablets prescribed for each med. Now add a couple of years you have been receiving that medication and that is a boatload of pills. Numbers are a great way to show that a doctor is bad. Add a couple of thousand of patients, severe illnesses with multiple medications, working in both urgent care, own practice and hospice. Nowhere is there any posting for MDs to look at the million or so pills that they write per year. Note that a drug offense sentence is determine to the equivalent dose of marijuana. That is how one offense ends in 7years in jail as a felony and greater than $250,000 in fines. Check out marijuana federal sentencing laws. I would like to meet the doctor who has never been fooled by a deceitful patient. Doctors are afraid to write you narcotics or Schedule 2 scripts because of the DEA. Talk to your friends in pain and see if they are in good pain control. Why do you think that people are seeking MM. My philosphy for the definition of health is that physical, emotional and spiritual health all need to be in balance to be healthy. Health is defined differently for each patient. EVERY patient deserves good medical care including the uninsured, poor, felons, drug addicts or people of different color. That is according to the Hippocratic Oath. Does your doctor follow that. Remember doctors are public servants and are here to serve you the public. Or are you being rushed out the door to address a simple basic question. If you had your car fixed by a mechanic and they did a terrible job, would you go back to that mechanic. NO, of course not, especially if it was your brakes they screwed up on. Doctors, or body mechanics, seemed to be immuned to this philosphy. You are paying us, your physician, to provide you with the highest quality of care. Are you getting it? Are your concerns being address? Just think about it. Guess what, doctors are human and we make mistakes also.

As more and more 'regular' doctors are investigated for prescribing what gov may say is 'excessive' opiates, you will begin to see more pain clinics open whose only job is to prescribe opiates. Towns of 30,000 residents will eventually have 3 to 4 pain clinics each run by anesthesiologists as there is no certification for 'pain doctor'. Veterinarians actually have more schooling on 'pain' than do MDs.

Peace.

• 2 months later...

no matter what people say, i support Dr. Buck... and everything that she's done to clear her name. i don't believe the charges to be true.. but that's my opinion because i know the real doctor buck.. the doctor buck who would never do anything to hurt anyone.. the one who never broke the do not harm principle and protected patients autonomy.. i know her well. my mom was one of her patients.. and trust me, i grew up with her treating my mom and my aunt.. and not one single thing she did was wrong.. technically, she got them both out of hot water a time or two.. so i dunno. i don't believe the charges that they are bringing against her.. i'm not in denial, but i just know more than the average joe so to speak. but the media is biased.. so it's obviously not 100% the truth.. just think of that before you judge her.

Archived