Clones; How Long Before I Should See Roots

I took some cuttings and put them in my cloner 8 days ago...I just now am seeing some very small roots this seems abnormaly long to me Ive heard of seeing root growth in as little as 3 days...the strains are pineapple express and berry whie (blue widow),Ive heard this can be the difference.....any input would be greatly appreciated.....tia

I took some cuttings and put them in my cloner 8 days ago...I just now am seeing some very small roots this seems abnormaly long to me Ive heard of seeing root growth in as little as 3 days...the strains are pineapple express and berry whie (blue widow),Ive heard this can be the difference.....any input would be greatly appreciated.....tia

Every strain will be different some in as little as 3-4 day's and some as much as 8-14 days... Are you using a quality root hormone?? Anyway 8 days is not too long by any means.. Some Sativas can take a bit to form their roots.... Good luck... Peace B)

You may see signs of a root in 3-4 days but it won't be rooted by any means, 7-14 days is more common for roots. Aero-cloners tend to be faster but you still wont have a good solid healthy tap root in under a week. You're right on time.

I use Olivias cloning solution & run g-13 pineapple ex. My clones take the 7-14 days to root through the rapid rooters and hang down through the net pots. Then I transplant. Some take even longer depending on the strain & the size of the clone.

I have learned not to rush, Good roots in clone makes for a faster happier plant in veg.

"I have learned not to rush, Good roots in clone makes for a faster happier plant in veg"

Amen... Get a good established root system before transplanting it's key in veg for vivacious growth ;)

Oh.. I use Clonex... but Olivias is some good stuff as well..

thanks all.....I just can't believe the support on this sight way too cool.....I think everything is cool just a bit impatient ,I guess...I lost 10 clones 2 weeks ago trying the old fashion way...soil,rooting compound and it didn't work,went out and bought a cloner,I hope it works all the plants are in the bloom room now.

thanks all.....I just can't believe the support on this sight way too cool.....I think everything is cool just a bit impatient ,I guess...I lost 10 clones 2 weeks ago trying the old fashion way...soil,rooting compound and it didn't work,went out and bought a cloner,I hope it works all the plants are in the bloom room now.

Never lost one since I started using the bubble cloner. Just remember to check your Ph. Olivia's raises it enough where I have to put in a cap of Ph down

I've come to learn rooting hormone is rooting hormone, gel or powder, this brand or that brand. Its not even needed to clone anything, just speeds up the process. Patience is key to cloning.

I quit using cloning hormones and solutions, I haven't really noticed much difference between using them and not using them.

Some strains take 4 days to root and some take a copuple weeks. I have also noticed that there are other things that affect rooting time though. The area of the plant you take cuttings from for instance. Cuttings taken from the lower part of the plant generally root quicker than cuttings taken from the top of the plant.

Oh, this one usually gets a good response but I have been taking note of it for yrs. Taking cuttings just before the moon starts waxing or waning helps get cuttings to root a little quicker. They usually take root before the new moon or full moon (1 week) if the cuttings are nice and healthy.

I know it sounds superstitious, I didn't believe it when I first read about it either. I started taking notes of when I was rooting cuttings and the fullness of the moon. After a few tries I became a believer.

Oh, this one usually gets a good response but I have been taking note of it for yrs. Taking cuttings just before the moon starts waxing or waning helps get cuttings to root a little quicker. They usually take root before the new moon or full moon (1 week) if the cuttings are nice and healthy.

I know it sounds superstitious, I didn't believe it when I first read about it either. I started taking notes of when I was rooting cuttings and the fullness of the moon. After a few tries I became a believer.

Very interesting.

Who really knows how the moons gravity and magnetic field actually effects living things. A lot of natural processes are triggered by specific moon phases. For example, a lot of corals and other marine invertebrates, along with some fish spawn on only one specific night of the year when the moon is just right. There almost has to be some sort of effect and correlation on land organisms that we have not yet even begun to understand. It may be slightly diminished but it has to be there.

You may be on to something. Even if it only speeds the process up by a day or two, it is worth it.

every body sounds right (well all except the moon wives tale I bout fell outta mah chair on that one, mainly cause i haven'theard that one since I was 6 or 7 gramma tried using it on me)anyways I tend to leave em in cloner til seriously root bound put em in dirt and they literally explode but seriously whatever works for you is good :rock::thumbsu: :thumbsu: :sword:

I wouldn't rule out lunar affect. It affects everything else on earth.

The farmers almanac uses the lunar calendar for planting considerations.

As hunters & fisherman we use it with good results, there is something to it.....

I think the modern age has caused us to forget alot about how the earth & nature actually works.

I wouldn't rule out lunar affect. It affects everything else on earth.

The farmers almanac uses the lunar calendar for planting considerations.

As hunters & fisherman we use it with good results, there is something to it.....

I think the modern age has caused us to forget alot about how the earth & nature actually works.

Not to disagree with you completely (hey, I don't know everything....) but farmers, fishermen, and hunters are doing stuff outside, where a full moon night looks quite different than a new moon night. But it seems like it would look the same to that little rooting clone inside under the artificial light.

On topic: I just took some clones a week ago or so, from three different strains, in Rapid Rooter cubes. One strain is bursting with roots, already transplanted up to 16 ounce cups. The second strain is just starting to show roots, and no sign of any roots yet from the third strain.

This Lunar Effect has more to do with everyday life here on earth than most people would think. It is kinda hard for some folks to wrap their head around the fact that moon phase affects so much... Although cutting schedules can't always correspond to lunar shift.. The grow journals I have gone back through and cross referenced with a lunar calendar shows that if cuttings are taken within a small time frame of the waxing or waning moon the clones will be more vivacious in overall well being and root growth... He also taught me that any pruning should correspond with the lunar calendar as well. My mentor was a thirty year dirt grower and he shared this with me many years ago.. I was just 16 back then and I had an awful hard time believing him.. You know about everything when your 16 right?? It wasn't until a few years later that I reffrenced past journals and discovered this to be fact. I would encourage any grower to reference their old grow info it's good practice for everyone.. Peace, Love, and Big Buds

• 4 weeks later...

My clones have taken about 8 days to see roots. Mom from bag seed, but she looks real nice, and the stuff was real good meds. It'll be very interesting to see what I can do with it. Haven't bought seeds in years, and the Skunk #1 that I last bought (2001) was kinda touchy, went hermie on me. GOT MY CARD TODAY I SO DANG HAPPY!!!!!!!! I feel like a kid again, can you imagine a 60 year old kid. lol

I'm seeing roots out of Root Riot cubes at six days. I used both Clonex gel and Clonex cloning solution. I let them sit for about 24 hours in a glass of filtered water with a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide and clone solution. Then I dip them in gel and put them in the cubes. The cubes got too dry and I thought I would lose the clones, but I dipped them in solution and now they are showing roots. Root Riot seems to be way easier than rockwool. You have to condition rockwool overnight, but not with these.

Generally speaking, I would expect clones to pop out roots within 14 days at maximum. If nothing happened after about a week, I myself would get impatient and be slightly annoyed. Most people are able to get visible results in a week.

Are you using some sort of heat mat?

Heat can help root faster. 80-85 degrees.

If using a spray cloner you can get a little aquarium heater to put in it, you only need a very meager heater.

Also, how you cut the clones can make a difference.

If you cut on a long angle and scrape a few lines of the outer tissue off of the clone with a razor blade before dipping and planting in the plug, you can get roots faster.

Compared to a straight cut, the longer cut angle increases the surface area available for water transport and makes it easier for the clone to take up water through that cut you made.

The cells that differentiate into root cells are underneath the outer tougher layer of cells on the clone branch. Scraping exposes these cells to the hormone faster and the roots can form more easily.

Vigorous growth roots faster, however vigorous growth tends to have a more tough outer layer which can make root formation difficult. Scraping can circumvent this issue. I've cloned the heads off of a large plant side by side with the lil under branches. Scraping will get you roots from both types at around the same time versus if you don't scrape, the head cut would take much longer to root. Try it and bust open a plug and look where the roots form - right along the scrape line. Its pretty cool. Its not something you have to do by any means, its just something to play with or another tweak for those with time.

I've used commercially made spray cloners and have built a few myself. They are great if you do aeroponics or some variant of hydro. However, I did find that I could get the same results as far as establishing roots on clones without buying and running a spray cloner. The usefulness of spray cloners I've found is after the roots have formed. You can get massive root growth after rooting has taken place, but if you're a soil grower you wouldn't really benefit much from a spray cloner seeing as the time spent developing roots in a spray cloner could be used developing those roots in your soil.

I use a heat mat at about 85, a 100 watt 5 dollar clamp light, a plastic tub with a removable top, root riot plugs, clonex gel and olivias clone juice with bcuzz root and I knock the plugs up with great white myco powder. After cutting, I also do a good foliar with bcuzz foliar and foliar boost so I don't have to remove as many leaves. This can get you running faster out of the gate since the leaves are needed to produce the energy for those roots that you seek. For the first few days I leave the top on and I air it out a few times a day by exhaling into it - cheap CO2. Usually after three or four days I'll see one ambitious root tip pop out and that means I can take the top off and let the clones breathe more. When you see a root tip, its generally safe to assume that everyone has started root production and can now take up water through the roots, so the high humidity of the closed tub isn't necessary any more although you may want to lightly mist occasionally to be nice. If you remove the top and everyone starts drooping fast then they aren't ready for the top to come off yet, so don't be hasty about removing the top. Usually after about 5 days, everyone joins the party and pops roots.

The only potion I feel like I couldn't do without is the clonex gel, but the other things definitely help speed things along and make for more explosive root growth. Once you have the stuff around it lasts forever

I have a clone dome and seem to have problems with my babys.

do they need a break from the humidity that high? Can it get too hot with the mat under there? Some of my clones the new sprouts will come out brown and moldy looking and i have to cut them off which leads to crappy looking babys. any suggestions?

I made my last batch of clones with no dome at all, using Rapid Rooters and 4-7" cuttings with 2-3 nodes. 100% success, most roots in 7-10 days, but the hard part was keeping the rapid rooters moist enough. They dry out very quickly without a dome. Next time I may try Rapid Rooters submerged in another medium to keep them moist.

Regardless of that, though, I'm much happier cloning without a dome than with one.

I have a clone dome and seem to have problems with my babys.

do they need a break from the humidity that high? Can it get too hot with the mat under there? Some of my clones the new sprouts will come out brown and moldy looking and i have to cut them off which leads to crappy looking babys. any suggestions?

cwick925, You may want to slide your clone dome to one side or the other leaving a little gap on either end to let out some of the heat and moisture. I have had that same problem before and thats what worked for me, also if you have had them in there for a few days now and you are experiancing the problem of rotting and such like you were saying I would stop using the heat matt or turn it down if possible or put something in between the heat matt the bottom of your cloning enclosure to cut back on the heat getting inside the dome.

Hope this info is helpful and good luck to you!!!

Wildman

Archived