Bubblegrower's Perpetual "Budget Grow" Journal

Grow Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on BG! That is some CRAZY growth! :bow:

moving along quickly, thats for sure :)

i checked my numbers, and im thinking another 10-12 days of veg? sound good anyone? that room i built for her is 2.5 x 3.5 x 8 and i wanna try to keep her inside :) if she busts down the walls we will be ok........ but for the purpose of the journal i'd like to keep her inside.........

i was sifting through the help thread looking for something and came across these. i posted them quite awhile ago in there, but since they also follow the budget theme i figured i would bring them back to life :)

light sealing a room

here's those pics. very simple actually. the first pic is from inside the room. i just cut up a cardboard box into 3-4" wide strips and tape them to the door. leaving a couple inches to over-hang onto the wood trim. on the other side of the door (hinge side, left side in the picture) i used a cut up black trash bag. this allows the gap to be sealed off, but the door can still swing open and closed. one side of the trash bag strip gets taped to the door, and the other side to the wall or wood trim in this case.

med_gallery_13801_60_160475.jpg

and then here is the view from the other side. you can see the cardboard overhanging on one side, and the gap on the other side (hinged side) all you see is a black trash bag (red circle).

med_gallery_13801_60_317545.jpg

not rocket science by any means, but i used the clear 3m packing tape and after peeling it all off when i tore the room down it did absolutely zero damage to the door or walls. and it's CHEAP :)

another deposit in the club account :P

watering seedlings in soil or clones in rockwool has always been a PIA for me. i usually have a flat of seedlings thrown in a veg room somewhere along a footprint border or something for a few days, instead of designating a special area and cfl bulbs.

anyways, it can get difficult to get around other things/plants to water those rockwool cubes or whatever sometimes so i rigged this up and have used it for years.

all ya need is an empty dish soap bottle, a steak knife, and a few inches of aquarium air line.

med_gallery_13801_60_285634.jpg

obviously, make sure your soap bottle is washed and rinsed very well. unscrew the lid, and break off the little flip cap part. take the steak knife and hollow the hole in the cap out just a little more. just stick the tip in the hole and twist the knife around a few times.

soon, you will have the hole just big enough that you can push your piece of air line through the cap. dont make the hole too big, you want to have to force the air line through, not just slide it through.

med_gallery_13801_60_296031.jpg

and because of the pressure inside, when you fill the bottle and flip it over, the water just lazily trickles out, at a very slow pace, allowing you to move your little hose around whatever you want and deliver a very gentle watering ;)

med_gallery_13801_60_58213.jpg

day 26

med_gallery_13801_60_2018146.jpg?t=55607690

got the other plant moved out of the tote yesterday. as you can see, i have just covered the other hole with a plastic lid from a coffee can. this makes checking/filling ect so much easier :)

and the journal plant here has gone through a little growth spurt again. she's now standing a solid 2ft tall. not too bad for a $100 light and 26 days :)

day 29

med_gallery_13801_60_870034.jpg

and............. HEY.......... BONUS!!!!

remember the clones we took back on day 16? well, in the last 13 days they have grown roots and those roots have grown through the rockwool, through the clay pebbles, and this is what i found this morning!!

med_gallery_13801_60_563507.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_350953.jpg

both rooted just fine :)

so i plopped them both in 6" net pots instead of those tiny 3" deals and they have a permanent home :)

i caught the roots in time (normally i forget) so i was able to get the 3" net pot out of the picture. many times i forget to check until its too late, and the clone roots have already grown more and attached themselves to the 3" net pot. when this happens, its best to just line the bottom of the 6" pot with clay pebbles, set the 3" pot inside, and fill in the edges. depending on how big you grow your plants, the roots will probably break your 3" net pot and it will be useless after this grow........... but they are cheap, and it's better than trying to remove those fresh delicate brand-new roots from the net pot.

in my case, i got lucky and checked on them at the right time and caught the root before it grew too far. i was able to remove the clone/rockwool with no harm to the little root at all.

med_gallery_13801_60_1389065.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_303724.jpg

so i grabbed a 6" net pot and layered the bottom 1" or so with clay pebbles and dropped the clone in.

med_gallery_13801_60_916776.jpg

and then filled in around the sides and i always make sure to "bury" the rockwool enough so that i can get quite a few pebbles on top of the cube. i dont like the light hitting the rockwool directly.

med_gallery_13801_60_1848585.jpg

and then its off to join her sister in a new bubbletote/fresh rez/half strength nutes for a couple days (then full) .. in the veg tent for the exact same first 16 days of life as in the very first post of this grow journal :)

med_gallery_13801_60_1486757.jpg

since i have been lazy, i have work to do today for certain :)

MUST take some clones and clean her up a little bit this evening.

when u say clean her up u mean take clones and get rid of growth that wont get light and would waste energy growing? just learning and its been great watching and learning. thanks bg keep it up. sometimes it seems some of the common sense stuff gets overlooked but for newbies its beneficial. thanks again

when u say clean her up u mean take clones and get rid of growth that wont get light and would waste energy growing? just learning and its been great watching and learning. thanks bg keep it up. sometimes it seems some of the common sense stuff gets overlooked but for newbies its beneficial. thanks again

you are exactly correct. as you can see in the pic below, i cut that lower branch, used two pieces of it for clones, and trashed the rest. "the rest" would have just become that nasty pointless underbrush (scrub) that we dont like around here :)

anything specific i can ever answer for you, feel free to ask away!!

med_gallery_13801_60_740613.jpg

great link kgb. i think thats just about exactly what my actual cost was for making this:

med_gallery_13801_60_1918846.jpg

great for cloning, where it really just acts as an "automatic rockwool watering machine", but for the little bit of money, you have much more guarantee that your cubes will never dry out.

IMO it wouldnt be a good set-up to take a cannabis plant all the way to harvest. the tote is too shallow, and there are too many sites/tote

Pretty clones !! I wish i had such good looking plants . My cloning skills are lack luster for sure

believe me, its not too difficult. just take smart cuts and follow the steps on the last page. i'm not gonna lie and say i have 100% success rate when i "lazy clone" like that, but it's cheap and very simple. of course using a rooting agent/cloning gel or an aerocloner will put ya' closer to 100% but after a little practice, this simple way will have you cloning like a pro in no time :)

common sense stuff gets overlooked but for newbies its beneficial! Im here to say this is very true !Thank u bubblegrower

hey thanks a lot. glad i could help :sword:

day 32 -- final day in veg

med_gallery_13801_60_1982666.jpg?t=77966883

i hacked off the bottom 2 branches again this morning. i also plucked off 4 extra fan leaves around the bottom that were 50% dead. tonight she goes into 12/12 :) can't wait any longer. she gonna be pretty tall. let the stretch begin!! 27" today. i will measure every day for the next couple weeks. i have not topped, fimmed, lst'd or anything of the sorts. all natural except for the few branches i have hacked off the bottom.

med_gallery_13801_60_1931676.jpg?t=23957808

Archived