Legalities Of Edibles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wayne

Weight is weight under Michigan statutes. Mix one gram of heroin with 2 pound of dog crap and you get 2 pounds, one gram of heroin. Yeah I know I'm mixing measurements but I'm too lazy to do the conversion right now.

Section 3, paragraph (j), defines "usable marihuana" as "the dried leaves and flowers of the marijuana plant, and ANY MIXTURE OR PREPARATION thereof, but does not include seeds, stalks and roots of the plant". This includes the preparation of medibles. I will argue that the entire medible, i.e. the wheat flour, the sugar etc. does not automatically become cannabis just because it is mixed with cannabis, so the weight should not be included in anyones count. I think that the best method is this.....when you make medibles, the oil or butter that is added has a measurable amount of cannabis in it. I personally use 1/8th of an ounce in a 1/4 cup of oil. If I use that oil to make 36 muffins, then what I have is actually 7 and a half grams of cannabis divided into 36 pieces.or .48 grams per piece of medible. I hope that we can show our intent to stay within the law by properly marking the amount of cannabis product in each piece. This should eliminate the problems, if viewed properly by the court system...I know...a lot of ifs in that statement...lol...is this strategy making sense to anyone?

Peace...j.b.

Guest Wayne

Makes perfect sense to me JB! If only LEO and the legislature would agree. The tide has turned in our favor but the opposition is the rip tide. I'll be there to pull out the victims every chance I get! We will win, hopefully with few real casualities.

I have been fortunate enough to get some "medibles" out of California, this is the method that they are utilizing and seems perfect to me...but, once again I state...I am not a lawyer. Common sense simply does not always apply when dealing with the legal system. Peace...j.b.

Makes perfect sense to me JB! If only LEO and the legislature would agree. The tide has turned in our favor but the opposition is the rip tide. I'll be there to pull out the victims every chance I get! We will win, hopefully with few real casualities.

Section 3, paragraph (j), defines "usable marihuana" as "the dried leaves and flowers of the marijuana plant, and ANY MIXTURE OR PREPARATION thereof, but does not include seeds, stalks and roots of the plant". This includes the preparation of medibles. I will argue that the entire medible, i.e. the wheat flour, the sugar etc. does not automatically become cannabis just because it is mixed with cannabis, so the weight should not be included in anyones count. I think that the best method is this.....when you make medibles, the oil or butter that is added has a measurable amount of cannabis in it. I personally use 1/8th of an ounce in a 1/4 cup of oil. If I use that oil to make 36 muffins, then what I have is actually 7 and a half grams of cannabis divided into 36 pieces.or .48 grams per piece of medible. I hope that we can show our intent to stay within the law by properly marking the amount of cannabis product in each piece. This should eliminate the problems, if viewed properly by the court system...I know...a lot of ifs in that statement...lol...is this strategy making sense to anyone?

Peace...j.b.

This is exactly where my head went, but wanted to do a check with others. Thank you for a great response.

Peace...j.b.

The above quote is a good argument but.......I have to agree with not labeling medibles if at all possible unless you can give the complete break down of all ingredients to the ration of MM in each portion....you would need a chemist to certify this. However I would recommend putting them up in places where children or other who don't use MM medibles won't accidentally ingest them. The law is just to vague at this point and some dumb donkey over zealous deputy dawg LEO with a chip on his shoulder will include all ingredients under the argument that no matter how much you consume of the cookie, cake, pasta etc it contains marijuana.

It's better to be safe than sorry at this point.

Dizz

It's time for us to take a stand on these types of issues. If I need be that 'guinnea pig" then so be it. It isn't that vague, the law has taken somewhat of a stance on this issue, however, it will be up to us to help to define this particular part of the law. I take this approach to further our cause, I want this to be straightened out long before "The Muffin Man" products hit your local dispensing units...lol...just because the rules have been made doesn't mean that they can't be challenged. I defy any "jury of my peers" to show me how adding cannabis to milk, eggs, sugar and flour "magically" turns all of those ingredients into cannabis. They couldn't turn iron ore into gold back in the middle ages, nor can they preform any type of magic to turn flour into cannabis today. Any jury would see the fallacy of thinking that they can do so. IMHO

Peace...j.b.

It's time for us to take a stand on these types of issues. If I need be that 'guinnea pig" then so be it. It isn't that vague, the law has taken somewhat of a stance on this issue, however, it will be up to us to help to define this particular part of the law. I take this approach to further our cause, I want this to be straightened out long before "The Muffin Man" products hit your local dispensing units...lol...just because the rules have been made doesn't mean that they can't be challenged. I defy any "jury of my peers" to show me how adding cannabis to milk, eggs, sugar and flour "magically" turns all of those ingredients into cannabis. They couldn't turn iron ore into gold back in the middle ages, nor can they preform any type of magic to turn flour into cannabis today. Any jury would see the fallacy of thinking that they can do so. IMHO

Peace...j.b.

sorry JB it was water into wine back in them days lol

Unfortunately, most who make medibles have not figured out how to make them without a green tint in the product. Isn't it quite evident, when your chocolate chip cookies have a green tint to them? I mean c'mon, do you really think that popo aren't aware that we make medibles, and that they aren't looking at all foodstuff when they enter a home looking for medical cannabis?...we are better off showing the intent to follow the law, then trying to explain in a courtroom why we tried to pull a fast one! It's all about perception, intent vs. trying to be sneaky...

Don't label stored medibles!! How they gonna tell the difference?

Another factor to consider is most LEO that deal in drug bust will bring in their drug dogs. I had to go over to the PD for a meeting and the dog going crazy! I had nothing on me but apparently the soap I used to wash my hands didn't remove the "residue". I just laughed and told them the purse I have today was the one I took a concert with me and you know how those kids are at concerts...hey I still like hard rock and everything in between! That made me a little nervous at the thought of being removed from office.

Dizz

LEO and honesty? Sounds perfect! You be honest, they be honest? Can't fail policy!

Only the ones who totally understand this law. There are some that are extremely anti drugs and that included MM. Those are the ones that no matter how honest you are that will come after you. I know this for a fact, I'm a township official and have heard this first hand. Some don't even waste their time with a little MM, they just make you dump it out and rub it into the ground and the others are on a witch hunt

Dizz

Unfortunately, most who make medibles have not figured out how to make them without a green tint in the product. Isn't it quite evident, when your chocolate chip cookies have a green tint to them? I mean c'mon, do you really think that popo aren't aware that we make medibles, and that they aren't looking at all foodstuff when they enter a home looking for medical cannabis?...we are better off showing the intent to follow the law, then trying to explain in a courtroom why we tried to pull a fast one! It's all about perception, intent vs. trying to be sneaky...

I agree with you on the intent to follow the law, as vague as it is, having any record keeping system in place for production will play strong in a defense i would think.

What about overages? They can become a nightmare if you keep records. Records could be your downfall and used against you.

Keep them on the PC and use truecrypt with a passphrase that is at least 15 characters long using numbers and upper and lower case. Even NSA can't crack that in a reasonable amount of time. Truecrypt gives you plausible deniability because it can't even be proven the file is an encrypted file. The details are on their website.

OMG DO NOT TELL THEM ANYTHING. LIE LIE LIE. They dont want to hear the truth and only hear what they want. I tried the honest route and will never do it again. LIE LIE LIE. I will never tell the cops the truth, never. They get paid to figure it out, so let them do there job.

What about overages? They can become a nightmare if you keep records. Records could be your downfall and used against you.

Maybe, but at this stage of decriminalization the law is evolving, and eventually someone is going to set precedent (not only in this area of the law, but many others http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202463156913&WalMart_Manager_Sues_Over_Right_to_Smoke_Pot_for_His_Health is one example*)I would rather have caregivers that have maintained accurate "records" in court before someone with little or no orginization as a caregiver, for example patient specific labeling (my wife introduced me to a secure, simple labeling method using logo's for each patient), accurate labeling of edibles for weight, strain, and expected dosage, are all simple things that can be done to show the intent to follow the law, and these things all lend to the legitimacy of decriminalization.

lol, i bet this guy has his bunny muffin together*

(((caregivers that have maintained accurate "records" in court before someone with little or no orginization as a caregiver, for example patient specific labeling (my wife introduced me to a secure, simple labeling method using logo's for each patient), accurate labeling of edibles for weight, strain, and expected dosage, are all simple things that can be done to show the intent to follow the law, and these things all lend to the legitimacy of decriminalization.)))

All of the above mentioned are pretty much standard for caregivers. No matter how you try to justify the cake, budder, etc., they will take the full volume as usable MM. They will not have it sent to a lab for content percentages. That will be our responsibility to prove that and this is a quite costly procedure. Unless they bring in Fido the drug sniffing hound I would keep my mouth shut about medibles and tinctures. Best thing to do with overages is to make ISO out of them. This will condense the usable amount down considerably when you don't have to count leaf matter into our 2.5

Dizz

OMG DO NOT TELL THEM ANYTHING. LIE LIE LIE.

DON'T LIE! ANYTHING you say can be used against you!

YOUR RIGHTS

- You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.

- You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.

- If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.

- You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately.

- Regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional rights.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

- Do stay calm and be polite.

- Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.

- Do not lie or give false documents.

- Do prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.

- Do remember the details of the encounter.

- Do file a written complaint or call your local ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated.

Check out this site:

What to do if you're stopped by the police.

Archived