Premature Flowering?

Guest d00g

Guest d00g

Great new site...thanks to all for making it happen.

One of my plants (8wks veg) is starting to flower even though I have it in a 18hr light cycle...

I would like to keep it vegging... not sure what to do...start the flower cycle now or can I stretch out the veg growth so to flower when my other strains are ready...?

Any help would be most appreciated...thx

One of my plants (8wks veg) is starting to flower even though I have it in a 18hr light cycle...

I would like to keep it vegging... not sure what to do...start the flower cycle now or can I stretch out the veg growth so to flower when my other strains are ready...?

or your preflowering you can veg them as long as you want but if it has rutarela in it you cant stop it

I had the same thing happen to one of my blue widow plants and I took the whole grow room from a 18-6 to 22-2......... and it just took off like gangbusters again with veg.....I'm a newbie at the indoor grow thing always grew outside,so you you might want some input from the pro,s on here and there's a lot of knowledge to be had on this site...it just worked for me....good luck!!!

Guest d00g

or your preflowering you can veg them as long as you want but if it has rutarela in it you cant stop it

What is "rutarela"?

Should I induce flowering 12/12 or try for veg 22/2...? Are there risks?

Thanks for the help folks!!!!

There are three known major lineages of Cannabis: Indica, Sativa, and Ruderalis. Most people are familiar with Indica and Sativa. And, the bulk of medical marijuana and connoisseur cannabis is of these two types. But, recently, more Ruderalis is being used in crossbreeding/hybridization with Indicas and Sativas. The Ruderalis strain is mostly known for its "Auto-Flowering" traits. This means that it will flower at a certain age, no matter what the lighting is set for (mostly, but not always). Eager to breed new possibilities, some adventurous farmers have experimented in hybridizing their indicas and sativas with Ruderalis lines to get them to auto flower. That is why i asked about your seeds' genetics.

There are many things that can cause a plant to put itself into a flowering state even if it is not within a plants genetic disposition. A plant is going to respond to different stress factors a different way. These very well could be "pre-flowers" which is just the plant saying it has reached maturity and it is revealing its sex to you.

If the plant is actually starting to fully flower...well, might as well put her under 12/12 and help her along.

In the future (if in organic soil), make sure they plant isn't running out of N while vegging...being left with only flowering ferts to feed on. Ensure that the plant is not becoming root bound. Make sure your temps are not spiking...in either direction...at some point in the day. Keep the top of the plants a good proper distance from the light source...depending on lighting type of course...

All these things can play into a plants ability to move on with its life cycle and begin flowering....

Or as others have said, you have a plant, that is genetically predisposed to behave this way. These Ruderalis genes are being worked and cross breed to many new varieties called "auto-flowering" plants...or "autos". These plants are genetically designed to being flowering in even 24 hours of light...

dank.Frank

Guest d00g

Does this mean I should let them flower in veg state or switch to full flower mode? Thx

Guest d00g

Thanks for the assist folks.

The plant's environment has been pretty stable with the exception of a few power outages which shortened their cycle a few hours of light here and there, not enough to get them flowering, so I think.

Well, based on everyone's input I'll keep them vegging and see what happens.

Great info...much appreciated!

Archived