Removing Sun Leaves During Flower... Opinion?

vender

OK I have been all over the net and it seems about %60 say dont touch the leaves and the other %40 say remove them. Everything I have read regarding remove them has been backed with some kind of science. They claim the plant doesnt actually use them to flower. They are saying it uses the smaller leaves that come out with the flower. And the people who say dont are just saying stuff like "they have them for a reason....".

Sun leaves "they" say are just using up nitrogen and not putting it back into the flower...

Anyway I am going to try removing them for the first time. Call me crazy. I swore I was not going to do anymore gimmicks. But thats the only way I learn. Also a friend who knows his sheit swears he gets %20 more.

Any thoughts?

I thought I would keep a little log here. 4 weeks into flowering, leaves are %10 covered in trics. Removed about %90 of sun leaves. LOTS more light. Growing hydro SCROG. 600w HPS in 2'x2'x6' box. temps 80. RH 48%.

i once neglected a tote for awhile and had a major ph shock. the 2 plants were just finishing veg and beginning flower. the leaves turned yellow and died to the point of just tapping the stem made all the leaves on the plant fall off. i mean literally, i had a 2 foot tall plant with 6 or 7 good sized branches and not a single leaf on them except for a couple tiny green spots on the tips of each branch.......... i should have pulled it and trashed it right then but because i was really upset with myself i fixed the problem and let it go. even after adjusting the water to correct levels, the plants went into "stop mode" for about a month. i continued with the lights 12/12 because those little tiny green spots were very very very very slowly becoming a leaf. it was sick, but it became a "thing" for me..............

anyways, after the dead month, they actually did begin to grow buds and finished quite well..........

as far as your actual question, i use the 50% rule. 50% dead it gets plucked. late in flower i just let them get ugly if they want to

Show what you grow. This is my room that this came out of. Don't show one little bud, And this is only 1 light you are looking at, I have 3 more. I'm past bending and crap, I have 10 foot ceilings. I grow to make money now. As for the color, tell me my plants are not haappy. Hell you flush and dont give nitrogen they will be a little lite green. Try getting 4 to 5 oz per plant and you will stop pulling your leaves. This is off a plant that is only 14 inches tall starting to flower.

med_gallery_13354_189_406979.jpg

YOUR PLANTS ARE NOT HAAPPY.

nice NO PEST STRIP. what are you trying to poison yourself and your patients? WEAK donkey bunny muffin. if you need help with pest PM me, there are natural ways to do it, do not use nerve gas on your plants.

they also look burnt and curled up. you might get better flavors if you take a step back from the nutes. also i see lots of foxtails, either too hot in there or your plant got pollinated by some hermie. not impressed at all. you don't know what dialed in looks like.

now that picture above that's been reposted a few times looks freaking sweet, looks like sour bubble, leaves aren't wide enough to be deep chunk, probably a 100% indica, maybe afghani or pakistani origin. slow vegger i'm positive. a warmer room might show more calyx.

I'm just a newb, not many grows under my belt as of yet. Actually just flowering some medicinal strain now. From what I have seen, and done, I have found it best to leave the girls alone. I tried removing the lower branches from one of my girls two cycles ago. She turned out ok, but she didn't pack a punch and the buds didn't get nearly as big after 9 weeks as the buds I have now, which are only three and a half weeks. I know it probably depends on the strain and all that jazz, but about the only thing I will ever do to my girls is treat them with love, and the occasional bondage to keep her height down and to spread the wealth of light. They seem to enjoy the wire handcuffs, no their not fuzzy pink ones. :) Just my two cents, I'd leave them on, unless they are dead or atleast 50% gone. I think of them as little solar panels, the more light received by the plant through their entire leaf system, the more energy they'll have to produce medicine. But that's just my .02 :)

YOUR PLANTS ARE NOT HAAPPY.

nice NO PEST STRIP. what are you trying to poison yourself and your patients? WEAK donkey bunny muffin. if you need help with pest PM me, there are natural ways to do it, do not use nerve gas on your plants.

they also look burnt and curled up. you might get better flavors if you take a step back from the nutes. also i see lots of foxtails, either too hot in there or your plant got pollinated by some hermie. not impressed at all. you don't know what dialed in looks like.

now that picture above that's been reposted a few times looks freaking sweet, looks like sour bubble, leaves aren't wide enough to be deep chunk, probably a 100% indica, maybe afghani or pakistani origin. slow vegger i'm positive. a warmer room might show more calyx.

Boy you are good to get all that info off one picture. What are you saying. This picture is bunny muffin. Where are curled up burnt leaves? Show me yours. Or our you all talk like the last pro of 2 grows. As for the pest strips, been used in the livestock barns for ever. I might learn something from you like what is a foxtale?

I know I'm such a know nothing noob, but BoroBoro's pic your talking about looks to me like TrainWreck or a TrainWreck cross. And I'm probably right cause I'm smart like that. Boro!!! tell us!

Or our you all talk like the last pro of 2 grows.

Guy, as far as you know I got 6 grows, learn math.

I know I'm such a know nothing noob, but BoroBoro's pic your talking about looks to me like TrainWreck or a TrainWreck cross. And I'm probably right cause I'm smart like that. Boro!!! tell us!

Why all the sun leaves in that picture? Its things like this that makes me wonder if people come on here and try on pupose to give bad info to patients. THIS IS MY POINT.

Why all the sun leaves in that picture? Its things like this that makes me wonder if people come on here and try on pupose to give bad info to patients. THIS IS MY POINT.

old pics. You need to remove leaves to expose the lower buds, period! or harvest the plant in multiple stages, remove all the lower limbs, sog, scrog, etc. And have only tops, no lower buds.

Maybe I just hate under developed buds too much...

just to clarify I'm not at all saying remove every leaf, I'm saying expose bud sites.

Some of you people are truly silly... Bickering like children, on a forum...

What research has demonstrated with well carried out experiments that removing fan leaves from a cannabis plant inhibits growth?

It's called Botany. I've taken many classes on the subject. Cannabis is merely an annual flower (Angiospermae). I don't have the time to get into detail but while cannabis is most definitely one of the most unique plants on the planet it's still a very basic organism. After you've taken a well carried out Botany class, done multiple reports on flowering plants and also carried out and aced a college level presentation in front of 100 students on phytology then maybe we can exchange some knowledge. Until then, you're still experimenting.

affordablemimeds and all the others who don't trim thier leaves, I commend you for supporting the truth. And your work is absolutely beautiful. I might suggest though, do like the best, offer well guided, truthful information and leave them to it. Eventually some will come around to heed the information... Those who choose to continue down the arrogant path of ignorance will probably never learn. But at least they can't say we never gave them a chance.

My biggest question to those who do rip thier plants up however, why create more work for you and your plants, in an already daunting task? It seems a bit redundant to me.

How ever one chooses to grow thier cannabis though, is fine by me. Trim it up if you must. Hack away... 'Doesn't hurt my feelings and I won't argue with ya.

Just as long as you realize that our buds will always be bigger :notfair:.

You're seriously mistaken vender. I didn't take any Botany classes to learn how to grow cannabis. I took them because I grow cannabis as a hobby. I had been growing cannabis successfully for many years prior to taking the classes. With medicinal cannabis becomming legal in the state of Michigan, I realized that it couldn't hurt to have extensive knowledge of plant life and proof that I have that knowledge, considering the potential...

Yea, that's right, I'm certified in the study of plant life.

Cannabis is a plant the last time I checked. Knowledge is power.

For the record, I have tried it. On multiple occasions. The results, when done in side by side trial style, speak for themselves.

hey THC farmer, we're growing bud not leaf. this technique will give you more bud spots, that's a fact. so it's not for lollipopping. if you scrog or veg it out a long time it's going to produce lots of bud sites and lots of light exposure to those budspots. fact is though, removing fan leafs will cause stress on your plants so be prepared to flower longer than normal for that strain. that's why i'm on the fences with this one, is it worth the stress and added weeks to a cycle for the difference in yield?

just look at that scrog on ICMag. that's proof right there.

from what i read the best technique seems to be remove in veg one time, twice in flower at 20 and 45 days.

trainwreck???? are you high. that looks nothing like trainwreck. google images for trainwreck, looks nothing like it at all. anyone got a better guess?

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=n3n&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=arcata%20trainwreck&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=587

Boy you are good to get all that info off one picture. What are you saying. This picture is bunny muffin. Where are curled up burnt leaves? Show me yours. Or our you all talk like the last pro of 2 grows. As for the pest strips, been used in the livestock barns for ever. I might learn something from you like what is a foxtale?

too much N. leafs are curled. it's OK, don't get all sensative about it. just don't come on here trying to show perfection and coming up very short of what i called dialed in.

read this and reconsider using the No Pest Strip. just do it for you patients. if you are doing this for the money, do it right.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=122627

too much N. leafs are curled. it's OK, don't get all sensative about it. just don't come on here trying to show perfection and coming up very short of what i called dialed in.

read this and reconsider using the No Pest Strip. just do it for you patients. if you are doing this for the money, do it right.

https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=122627

2 +reps

OK I have been all over the net and it seems about %60 say dont touch the leaves and the other %40 say remove them. Everything I have read regarding remove them has been backed with some kind of science. They claim the plant doesnt actually use them to flower. They are saying it uses the smaller leaves that come out with the flower. And the people who say dont are just saying stuff like "they have them for a reason....".

Sun leaves "they" say are just using up nitrogen and not putting it back into the flower...

Anyway I am going to try removing them for the first time. Call me crazy. I swore I was not going to do anymore gimmicks. But thats the only way I learn. Also a friend who knows his sheit swears he gets %20 more.

Any thoughts?

I thought I would keep a little log here. 4 weeks into flowering, leaves are %10 covered in trics. Removed about %90 of sun leaves. LOTS more light. Growing hydro SCROG. 600w HPS in 2'x2'x6' box. temps 80. RH 48%.

sounds like a great experiment do it with 2 clones one with one with out could be on to sumthing never know every strain is different though gl man

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=122627

Show me what you can do except hide behind that keyboard. If you want to dog me show me that you are better.

dang dude, have some coffee.

he knows that i owed him a +rep from the other day but couldnt give it out because i had hit my limit for the day. the 2nd one is for the link in icmag that he posted. im familiar with that 11 page thread and it does contain some great info on no-pest strips. not just one guy's opinion. did you even click on it??

you sure are way up in my business this morning eh?

play with the others bro............ not with me.

In my humble opinion, mother nature knows best how to tend to herself. Plants do not shed leaves hither and yon, no they stay with the plant until they are no longer needed by the plant. Nature doesn't do things "just for the heck of it". There is a reason those leaves are on the plant. I see the fan leaves as the "solar panels" of the plant, gathering sunlight and converting sugars and nutrients into what is necessary for growth. "You shouldn't mess with Mother Nature" seems like good advise to me!!

Peace...j.b.

The only thing I could add would be that we are trying to recreate the sun indoors and not doing the best job of it at all. Removing a few leaves to let the "sun" indoors reach all the way down doesn't sound out of order. I don't believe denudeing the plant is good for it though. You don't see the plants do it naturally because they are outside and can get all the light they need. JMHO

hey bro, you're the one with something to prove not me. i don't have to prove bunny muffin to you. my patients satisfaction is all i need.

Show me what you can do except hide behind that keyboard. If you want to dog me show me that you are better.

In my humble opinion, mother nature knows best how to tend to herself. Plants do not shed leaves hither and yon, no they stay with the plant until they are no longer needed by the plant. Nature doesn't do things "just for the heck of it". There is a reason those leaves are on the plant. I see the fan leaves as the "solar panels" of the plant, gathering sunlight and converting sugars and nutrients into what is necessary for growth. "You shouldn't mess with Mother Nature" seems like good advise to me!!

Peace...j.b.

mother nature doesn't grow hydroponics, doesn't use light rails, doesn't train her plants, or manipulate the light cycles to our needs. we do this to yield more, maxing out our resources. <b>what we are doing inside is not as mother nature intended.</b> that argument can't be brought up in this discussion.

i'm not hating on mother nature or organic growers, i actually prefer outdoor buds, for potency, taste is about the same, maybe slightly better indoors. but i can't really grow my favorite strains outside without a greenhouse. i don't have one yet.