Hey Vets Using The Va

looks like the VA will start siging certs... Cool save money for the honey... Check out the link

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2276

I wish that were true. However from the directive you posted it clearly states:

3. POLICY: VA providers must comply with all Federal laws, including the Controlled Substances Act. Due to marijuana’s classification as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, it is VHA policy to prohibit VA providers from completing forms seeking recommendations or opinions regarding a Veteran’s participation in a state medical marijuana program. If a Veteran presents a prescription or authorization for medical marijuana to a VA provider or pharmacist, VA will not provide marijuana nor will it pay for the prescription to be filled by a non-VA entity. NOTE: Possession of medical marijuana by Veterans while on VA property is in violation of VA regulation 1.218(a)(7) and places them at risk for prosecution under the Controlled Substances Act.

Unfortunately, their hands are tied until HHS pull their heads out of the sand and get the rescheduling process under way.

I wish you well,

Thadius

even if it is rescheduled i wouldn't get my hopes up re: veterans administration. i've been dealing with this agency for 40 years. the possibility is that some high ranking admin pukes who are personally opposed to mmj regardless will obstruct and drag their feet much as various municipalities and agencies of Brave American Heroes have been doing since medical mj was passed in michigan.

just sayin'.

even if it is rescheduled i wouldn't get my hopes up re: veterans administration. i've been dealing with this agency for 40 years. the possibility is that some high ranking admin pukes who are personally opposed to mmj regardless will obstruct and drag their feet much as various municipalities and agencies of Brave American Heroes have been doing since medical mj was passed in michigan.

just sayin'.

any other veterans care to weigh in? your input is important.

I have read into the ramifications of the new policy. VA doctors are not going to start issuing cards. However, it will not longer prevent the VA doctors from issuing pain killers and opiates to patients with cards. Even though they will not be issuing cards they will no longer stop card holders from other treatment from the VA. Hopefully this is the first step but it will take the VA longer than the rest of the country to adopt the use of medical marijuana.

My father in law (nam vet) went to the VA (not sure what one) but they said no problem and gave him 4 records about his condition and said they will not change his pain management plan cuz he is getting it for Hep-c. I would guess if your getting your Rec for pain, then the VA may adjust your pain meds.

Veterans who receive their care from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and who have a desire to participate in state medical marijuana programs might ask their VA physicians to complete these authorization forms.

took this from the first part... Some vets have said some in the VA did signed certs through the VA.. Need the head of the VA here in michigan to make a clarifaction

Veterans who receive their care from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and who have a desire to participate in state medical marijuana programs might ask their VA physicians to complete these authorization forms.

took this from the first part... Some vets have said some in the VA did signed certs through the VA.. Need the head of the VA here in michigan to make a clarifaction

VA regardless of state is Federal, period. i'm sure i read an official communique stating that no VA docs will be permitted to sign certificates for any reason. i stand to be corrected. so don't take my word for it.

so many issues raised in these forums with definitive information seemingly as rare as hen's teeth.

I agree with Jester that "the possibility is that some high ranking admin pukes who are personally opposed to mmj regardless will obstruct and drag their feet" - After all this is a military organization.

My doctor hates the VA bureaucracy he has to deal with day to day. He would like to treat his patients as he see's fit, but cannot because of the VA admin BS.

Truth be told I was surprised to see them take the stand they have. (Allowing Vet's to use medical marijuana in the sates where it is legal.

I wish I knew about this memo before I got certified. I would have attempted with the VA. A friend of mine is going to try, I'll update when I find out what happens. My guess is it depends on the Doctor. The VA doctors can review all of your records and if they're cool with the MMP, my guess is that they'll sign it.

Archived