Council Seeks Additional Information On Possible Medical Marijuana Ordinance

Council seeks additional information on possible medical marijuana ordinance

By Pat Evans

(Last updated: 7 hours ago)

The East Lansing City Council is seeking additional input from the city police department regarding a possible medicinal marijuana ordinance following a work session Tuesday at which councilmembers expressed slightly differing views of how the ordinance might be created.

Loomis

The discussion was introduced by Assistant City Attorney Tom Yeadon because the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, or MMMA, which legalized the possession of marijuana for medicinal purposes, does not define how to deal with dispensaries. Among the possibilities discussed Tuesday were allowing only home occupancy dispensaries, only storefront dispensaries or banning dispensaries entirely.

Mayor Vic Loomis requested more information on how the East Lansing Police Department feels regarding medicinal marijuana dispensaries in the city, because it will be responsible for enforcing the laws.

“It seems regardless with whatever way we go, they’re going to be challenged,” Loomis said. “(ELPD’s) opinion is going to weigh heavily on whatever decision I make. They’re the people that have to make whatever we do work.”

East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert said Monday he is in favor of the city clarifying the law.

City staff came up with a sample ordinance to allow dispensaries as home occupancies in East Lansing. The purpose of the sample ordinance was to provide possible scenarios for the city to work with, should one be passed at a later date.

“This might have an undesirable affect of moving these business into residential neighborhoods,” Yeadon said. “But it is meant to make it a rather innocuous setting.”

Councilmembers were hesitant to jump on the home occupancy plan, or dispensaries at all, but Yeadon said voters chose to allow medicinal marijuana with the passing of the MMMA in 2008.

“If we don’t allow it and we prosecute people for doing what they’re doing, we are in violation of state law,” he said.

The discussion was brought to council because there is belief the MMMA is ripe for abuse, Yeadon said.

Restrictions on the home occupancy dispensaries in East Lansing would include a caregiver — a person authorized to grow and sell marijuana to registered medicinal marijuana patients — living more than 1,000 feet away from a school and have no more than two patients in the home at any given time.

Despite the suggested restrictions on the home occupancies to make observing the dispensaries easier for police, the council requested a report by the police department.

Most of the council ended the discussion undecided, but open minded. Councilmember Nathan Triplett said he would prefer a special use permit and the use of a storefront.

“Dispersing it into the neighborhoods, where it’s all difficult to monitor, seems to be problematic for me,” Triplett said. “A public space, the police can check on it all the time. I have a strong opinion the

Michael A. KomornAttorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Its funny, 1000 people can go into a pharmacy at 1 time to get Highly abused Controlled Substances, so why are they restricted to 2 patients per any given time?

Control. It's always about control over us, they wanna watch our every move, and yet, as you say, and as many people have stated about the dangers of the prescription drugs, remembering that Cannabis never killed anyone. They (big pharma) force people to use THEIR drugs and deny us the right to use the ones WE choose. Some free society, aye? Supposedly competition is part of our system.. but in reality it sure doesn't seem like it is. THAT is why this plant has been banned in the first place, paper, textile, fuel, food, clothing, medicine, now look at the industries in those fields.

There are some abusing the law, which hurts us all. The whole dispensary idea was, as far as I know, never intended. If people would've not tried opening those, things might be different. Whatever happens, they're gonna do all they can to make it hard for us. They've sure made it hard for me and I haven't even applied yet, but one thing for sure is, IF I do I'm not advertising about it. I voted for this law, thinking it'd work out ok. I should've known better. The People speak, but few are listening.

Sb :(

Control. It's always about control over us, they wanna watch our every move, and yet, as you say, and as many people have stated about the dangers of the prescription drugs, remembering that Cannabis never killed anyone. They (big pharma) force people to use THEIR drugs and deny us the right to use the ones WE choose. Some free society, aye? Supposedly competition is part of our system.. but in reality it sure doesn't seem like it is. THAT is why this plant has been banned in the first place, paper, textile, fuel, food, clothing, medicine, now look at the industries in those fields.

There are some abusing the law, which hurts us all. The whole dispensary idea was, as far as I know, never intended. If people would've not tried opening those, things might be different. Whatever happens, they're gonna do all they can to make it hard for us. They've sure made it hard for me and I haven't even applied yet, but one thing for sure is, IF I do I'm not advertising about it. I voted for this law, thinking it'd work out ok. I should've known better. The People speak, but few are listening.

Sb :(

Yes the people spoke, and the people listened, at least 62.7% of them did. But the problem is, from what it seems, that the 37% must be in office making these absurd rules or regulations.

This law protects so much, but it is being trampled on by the 37%, that has got to change. I think enough lawsuits happen, they will get the message...

Council seeks additional information on possible medical marijuana ordinance

By Pat Evans

(Last updated: 7 hours ago)

The East Lansing City Council is seeking additional input from the city police department regarding a possible medicinal marijuana ordinance following a work session Tuesday at which councilmembers expressed slightly differing views of how the ordinance might be created.

Loomis

The discussion was introduced by Assistant City Attorney Tom Yeadon because the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, or MMMA, which legalized the possession of marijuana for medicinal purposes, does not define how to deal with dispensaries. Among the possibilities discussed Tuesday were allowing only home occupancy dispensaries, only storefront dispensaries or banning dispensaries entirely.

Mayor Vic Loomis requested more information on how the East Lansing Police Department feels regarding medicinal marijuana dispensaries in the city, because it will be responsible for enforcing the laws.

“It seems regardless with whatever way we go, they’re going to be challenged,” Loomis said. “(ELPD’s) opinion is going to weigh heavily on whatever decision I make. They’re the people that have to make whatever we do work.”

East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert said Monday he is in favor of the city clarifying the law.

City staff came up with a sample ordinance to allow dispensaries as home occupancies in East Lansing. The purpose of the sample ordinance was to provide possible scenarios for the city to work with, should one be passed at a later date.

“This might have an undesirable affect of moving these business into residential neighborhoods,” Yeadon said. “But it is meant to make it a rather innocuous setting.”

Councilmembers were hesitant to jump on the home occupancy plan, or dispensaries at all, but Yeadon said voters chose to allow medicinal marijuana with the passing of the MMMA in 2008.

“If we don’t allow it and we prosecute people for doing what they’re doing, we are in violation of state law,” he said.

The discussion was brought to council because there is belief the MMMA is ripe for abuse, Yeadon said.

Restrictions on the home occupancy dispensaries in East Lansing would include a caregiver — a person authorized to grow and sell marijuana to registered medicinal marijuana patients — living more than 1,000 feet away from a school and have no more than two patients in the home at any given time.

Despite the suggested restrictions on the home occupancies to make observing the dispensaries easier for police, the council requested a report by the police department.

Most of the council ended the discussion undecided, but open minded. Councilmember Nathan Triplett said he would prefer a special use permit and the use of a storefront.

“Dispersing it into the neighborhoods, where it’s all difficult to monitor, seems to be problematic for me,” Triplett said. “A public space, the police can check on it all the time. I have a strong opinion the

Michael A. KomornAttorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

We are (Clare Compassion Club) having a meeting with the City of Clare on the 11th of Aug. We sure could use some help up this way, ANY BODY, (LOL) bUT SERIOUSLY WE RERALY DO NEED HELP UP HERE IN THE NORTH. i THINK IT WILL BE A LITTLE BIT EASYER UP HERE , than in lansing. but i could be wrong , i was once, Aug11,2010 @ 6:30 in Clare. If you need more info go http://clarecountycc.ning.com/here or e-mail me and i can see what i can answer.

Agree w/ Zombiefryd! +1

Im just hoping with everything that we can get somewhere with the federal law, hopefully the VA recognizing cannabis as treatment for our veterans we may see them forced into a change. I had a great laugh by going to the DEA website and reading all their "facts" & information. Its just such a joke, honestly if it was for cannabis saving my life from all the harmful pills the doctors would throw at me Id be dead by now, only 28 btw. They gave me morphine, vicodins, percocets, fentynal patches(yikes btw), oxycontin, dozens muscle relaxers, pills to sleep, pills for anxiety & depression caused by other pills. ITS MADNESS! I was even given a pill for my severe back pain that was "made exclusively" for back pain that had a side effect of BACK PAIN. IN WHAT WORLD DOES THAT MAKE SENSE, LOL?!?!

Now that the fear of the state, local police agencies is eased a great deal I now have a new, greater & more dangerous fear that I am going to have my life ruined by the federal government for doing what has saved my life & is completely legal in my state. This isnt the America our founders had in mind. It saddens me. I just want to be free, in life & in health & in mind. The only way for alot of that to happen is a change in federal law.

Sorry about going off topic a little(or alot) but I did. Sorry...

Peace & stay safe -Jar

I agree with you Jar.

Except for this...

This isnt the America our founders had in mind.

This is the America they had in mind, they knew the government would do just what they are doing...

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

"When a government betrays the people by amassing too much power and becoming tyrannical, the people have no choice but to exercise the original rights of self defense - to fight the government." - Alexander Hamilton

"The ultimate authority resides in the people, and that if the federal government got too powerful and overstepped its authority, then the people would develop plans of resistance and resort to arms." - James Madison

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." - Abraham Lincoln

"We, the people are rightful masters of both Congress and the courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

"We need a revolution every 200 years, because all governments become stale and corrupt after 200 years." - Ben Franklin

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Zombiefryd- We agree. The quotes represent the point I was trying to make & Guess I failed, lol.

Fixed quote. :)

old- "This isnt the America our founders had in mind."

new- "This isnt the America our founders wanted it to be".

Archived