Lansing Seeking Feedback On Medical Marijuana Ordinance

Lansing seeking feedback on medical marijuana ordinance

Administering cannabis would become a home occupation if proposal passes

A Lansing medical marijuana ordinance that would allow the administering of the pain-relieving substance as a home occupation is gathering steam.

Some Neighborhood Watch groups and associations already are boosting the proposal.

"I don't use marijuana," said Cherryl Valleau, a member of the Green Oaks neighborhood organization. "I don't like marijuana. But they say it's very good for people who are ill.

"Didn't the voters speak and decide that's what they wanted?"

Lansing's Planning Board expects to hold a Wednesday hearing for more feedback regarding the proposal that would follow the lead of communities such as Grand Rapids.

A distance of at least 1,000 feet would have to separate public and private schools and colleges, substance abuse prevention services, playgrounds and churches from addresses where primary caregivers - those authorized by law to administer marijuana to patients - are located.

Members should get an earful.

"I'm all for the complete decriminalization and legalization of medical marijuana," said Andrew McCullough, who lives on Lathrop Street.

He's not a firm supporter of the 1,000-foot distance requirement, though.

If he was storing marijuana in the house, which he could do if he was an authorized caregiver or patient, "am I going to be running out and offering it to the children in the community?" McCullough asked.

Susan Stachowiak, the city's zoning administrator, said that the home profession proposal, if approved, respects building codes and would not cause "excessive grief" for neighborhoods.

"I think it's a good ordinance," she said. "I'll recommend to the board that they approve it. It does a good job."

The Lansing City Council's Public Safety Committee referred the ordinance to the Planning Department in late June.

"We're trying to work it in a way that has the least impact in our neighborhoods," said Carol Wood, chairwoman of the Public Safety Committee.

City Attorney Brig Smith says the proposed ordinance tweaks the city's existing home occupation ordinance.

"The goal is to regulate this occupation just like we would regulate others, whether the home occupation is growing tomato plants or medical marijuana," Smith said in an e-mail.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100802/NEWS01/8020324/Lansing-seeking-feedback-on-medical-marijuana-ordinance

Well if I was in pain and had a house next to the school would the cops come beat down my door and take my vikodin? I mean can we all grow up and act like adults? IS IT LEGAL OR ILLEGAL? If my doctor and state say I need it and should use it it should end there..PERIOD! Wish I had the money to drive to lansing lol

Lansing seeking feedback on medical marijuana ordinance

Administering cannabis would become a home occupation if proposal passes

A Lansing medical marijuana ordinance that would allow the administering of the pain-relieving substance as a home occupation is gathering steam.

Some Neighborhood Watch groups and associations already are boosting the proposal.

"I don't use marijuana," said Cherryl Valleau, a member of the Green Oaks neighborhood organization. "I don't like marijuana. But they say it's very good for people who are ill.

"Didn't the voters speak and decide that's what they wanted?"

Lansing's Planning Board expects to hold a Wednesday hearing for more feedback regarding the proposal that would follow the lead of communities such as Grand Rapids.

A distance of at least 1,000 feet would have to separate public and private schools and colleges, substance abuse prevention services, playgrounds and churches from addresses where primary caregivers - those authorized by law to administer marijuana to patients - are located.

Members should get an earful.

"I'm all for the complete decriminalization and legalization of medical marijuana," said Andrew McCullough, who lives on Lathrop Street.

He's not a firm supporter of the 1,000-foot distance requirement, though.

If he was storing marijuana in the house, which he could do if he was an authorized caregiver or patient, "am I going to be running out and offering it to the children in the community?" McCullough asked.

Susan Stachowiak, the city's zoning administrator, said that the home profession proposal, if approved, respects building codes and would not cause "excessive grief" for neighborhoods.

"I think it's a good ordinance," she said. "I'll recommend to the board that they approve it. It does a good job."

The Lansing City Council's Public Safety Committee referred the ordinance to the Planning Department in late June.

"We're trying to work it in a way that has the least impact in our neighborhoods," said Carol Wood, chairwoman of the Public Safety Committee.

City Attorney Brig Smith says the proposed ordinance tweaks the city's existing home occupation ordinance.

"The goal is to regulate this occupation just like we would regulate others, whether the home occupation is growing tomato plants or medical marijuana," Smith said in an e-mail.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20100802/NEWS01/8020324/Lansing-seeking-feedback-on-medical-marijuana-ordinance

is this the end of the dispensaries in lansing

Archived