Severe Chronic Migraines

you do realize that treatment with marijuana is not cheap, either, right?

have yourself checked out. masking issues with mj can get you dead. you could have signs that are alerting you, but not "see" them. know your problems.

you also need to keep in mind that while it is legal in michigan to use mj for medicinal use, michigan's employers do not have to allow you to use it. meaning, just because you have a card, doesn't mean you'll be able to get/keep a job if the employer finds out. i doubt that would change even if it were totally legal.

Just wanted to say an Employer cannot fire you because you use it if you are registered with the state- that is in the law. (Please copy and paste the link- the link directly to it dose not work but copying and pasting dose.)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(z50r3j55ae2ucl45a1iovr45))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-333-26424

Look it up on the link to the Law if need be. BTW- Cannabis may not be cheap, but it dose not "mask" the pain- it gets rid of the pain completely- you have naturally occurring Cannabanoids called Anadomide that already regulate pain and help relieve it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandamide

Thank you for your replies. I will take all of the advice to heart. I have been receiving primary treatment the moment I could afford it, January 2010. I am not a smoker, so I don't know if this treatment will work for me. Too many remedies have failed.

I know exactly how that is with Severe Migraines- I have had horrible migraines all my life and they get worse as I get older too. I get the auras too- I used to be able to help it a little with some Excedrin Migraine and some Apple Juice, but I can no longer keep down any medications- they come right back up with a wave of nausea and vomiting with the spins for the next hour or so and Apple Juice no longer works. Countless herbal remedies do nothing for it either.

I was approved for chronic headaches not even sure if all of them are migraines. I really like it most for my asthma which causes my headaches and of course now I have very few headaches :) yeah Cannabis :thumbsu: I went to the clinic in southfield Mi. Very nice and clean place michigan I hope it is ok to post their link http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuanacertification.com/ give them a call or send them your ok to view your med records

Edited by tooldini

Thank you for all the great advice and suggestions.

I was given a recommendation to the Pain Management Clinic of Rochester Hills. Has anyone heard of this place? Are they understanding and compassionate, or will they throw more pills my way? The cost of treatment will determine if I can go. I would like to avoid pills if at all possible.

I too suffer from migraines, cannabis is not an effective form of relief for me. The only thing it helps is the severe nausea that comes with it. I always have to take a pain killer to get it to go away. Possibly ingesting could help but smoking will just make it worse, trust me.

Just wanted to say an Employer cannot fire you because you use it if you are registered with the state- that is in the law. (Please copy and paste the link- the link directly to it dose not work but copying and pasting dose.)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(z50r3j55ae2ucl45a1iovr45))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-333-26424

Look it up on the link to the Law if need be. BTW- Cannabis may not be cheap, but it dose not "mask" the pain- it gets rid of the pain completely- you have naturally occurring Cannabanoids called Anadomide that already regulate pain and help relieve it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandamide

No that is most definitely NOT correct. Your employer can discharge you with a card- Walmart Joe is a classic example. You cannot lose a professional license or have action by a regulatory board, but the company specifically is not bound by that. Yes there is a provision for being 'impaired' on the job, but the recent ACLU case was very unfavorable.

Dr. Bob

Possibly ingesting could help but smoking will just make it worse, trust me.

Have you tried a variety of indica-heavy strains? I find the strain decides whether a migraine gets better or worse.

Dr. Bob - from my reading of the MMMA, it's illegal for an employer to fire you for using medical marijuana. But that doesn't help much when the courts insist on deliberately misreading the law so brazenly that the only reasonable response is more than a few judges being disbarred. Sigh...

you do realize that treatment with marijuana is not cheap, either, right?

True, but nothing like migraine meds. Drugs like Imitrex were something like $30 a PILL the last time I got it (a number of years ago). You could get high off crack for less $$.

have yourself checked out. masking issues with mj can get you dead. you could have signs that are alerting you, but not "see" them. know your problems.

So true, it's really important with headaches you make sure it's not something dangerous. These have to be ruled out...

Edited by purklize

Have you tried a variety of indica-heavy strains? I find the strain decides whether a migraine gets better or worse.

Dr. Bob - from my reading of the MMMA, it's illegal for an employer to fire you for using medical marijuana. But that doesn't help much when the courts insist on deliberately misreading the law so brazenly that the only reasonable response is more than a few judges being disbarred. Sigh...

My reading is that you can be fired for being impaired while on the job.... But y'know, who cares what us jailhouse lawyers think we read? I really don't care what the law says, I care what the courts say it says because the courts are the ones that put us in jail. We need to stop thinking about how the courts got rulings wrong, and realize wrong or not that is the way it is. Unless you have the time and resources to be a test case.

Dr. Bob

True, but nothing like migraine meds. Drugs like Imitrex were something like $30 a PILL the last time I got it (a number of years ago). You could get high off crack for less $$.

So true, it's really important with headaches you make sure it's not something dangerous. These have to be ruled out...

Obviously we have no choice but to try to work with what the courts have decided. But we certainly should be raising attention to the extremely biased decisions being handed down - judges legislating from the bench, case law standing in stark contrast to the law passed by voters. There are dirty things happening in courthouses and as activists, we should not gloss over it.

Obviously we have no choice but to try to work with what the courts have decided. But we certainly should be raising attention to the extremely biased decisions being handed down - judges legislating from the bench, case law standing in stark contrast to the law passed by voters. There are dirty things happening in courthouses and as activists, we should not gloss over it.

Agree, but pick battles carefully.

Dr. Bob

• 1 year later...

I too, have had chronic migraines, for over eight years now. I did lose my job, a very good one, over 7 years ago. I have been to Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute many times. In fact I have been in their inpatient hospital program in Chelsea 8 times! They are very good and try hard to get to the bottom of whatever health issues are there. Working with them and with my pain doctors in Grand Rapids, I have tried well over 200 different combinations of medicines. It has been an exhaustive endevour! And a very expensive one too.A few times I thought some meds were working, but we would have to keep raising the doses to keep them working. Then I would have intolerable side effects. I took several narcotic pain meds. The problem is, that they can cause a rebound effect, causing your migraines to actually get worse. I have had to go through withdrawl, getting off those meds, three times. They did figure out that some damage to nerves in my neck were part of the problem. (I have had two neck surgeries and have c-2 thru c-7 all fused now. )Finally, after all this I was qualified for a neuro-stimulator. I had the stimulator surgically implanted the beginning of March this year. It definitely has made a difference. My migraines before were everyday, without ceasing, this last time for almost two years. Now though, I still have severe migraines 2-4 times per week. I had tried medical marijuana last fall, and it was truly amazing to me how it took my pain and nausea away! Now, I just use it for those 2-4 times per week. This and the stimulator together seem to be the best solution for me. I am still in the process of getting my legal status approved. I would like to know of any drs or caregivers in the Lansing area that might be able to help me with that. If any of you have suggestions, please feel free to contact me. Hawaii 2484, I wanted you to know that you're not alone!! There is hope!

No that is most definitely NOT correct. Your employer can discharge you with a card- Walmart Joe is a classic example. You cannot lose a professional license or have action by a regulatory board, but the company specifically is not bound by that. Yes there is a provision for being 'impaired' on the job, but the recent ACLU case was very unfavorable.

Dr. Bob

True that! nothing is garaunteed with the card, dont kid your self, plus MI has a no fault law when it comes to dr.s quiting you and you getting fired from a job, especialy a non union job, not alot of big companys allow their workers to use mm and they will get you out if they want to, so take that part of the law and use it for toilet paper!

Peace

Jim