Bedford Township To Discuss Moratorium

There is a way to get past all of this with these people and the easiest way is to be polite and work with them. I know, I'm one of them and the last thing they will listen to is loud and pushy. Have your facts ready, they will listen if you present yourself as a credible person with just the facts.

Make you sure you have both barrels loaded and be prepared to demonstrate;

WHO USES MEDICAL MARIJUANA

WHY DO THEY USE MEDICAL MARIJUANA

WHERE DO THEY USE MEDICAL MARIJUANA

ABOVE ALL, DRESS NICE! THEY HAVE THE ILLUSION THAT MM PATIENTS ARE STILL HIPPIES OR POT HEADS THAT FOUND A LOOP HOLE

Just a little about a moratorium;

When you follow the proper channels to open a dispensary, grow warehouse or home occupied business (caregiver growing in house) you approach the municipality and the steps will follow something like this:

1) Submit application to the planning commission to be placed on agenda. Speak with Economic Economic Development Director or building department Supervisor.

2) After you hash out minor details with above and pay your fee(s) you will be placed on planning commission agenda. OK, these guy's aren't so savvy and know noting about MM and the building you are leasing or your home isn't zoned for this type of business.

A) Building not zoned for business, you must go before and pay your fee to be placed on agenda of Zoning Board of Appeals for permission to use building for non conforming use.

B) Home not zoned for business you must do the same process in most communities. You will be subject to personal property taxes like use above.

3) So now you have gone before the planning commission as well as the ZBA you now have another hurdle to jump. The other two commissions have made the motion to send you to the council or township board to decide because they just don't know what do do in your case. The counsel or township board must approve the recommendations of the commissions. Thought the other two commissions were bad, well now these yahoo's say what does it say in our zoning laws about this? Well says Mr. Economic Development Director, "we don"t have anything in zoning that covers this". Well Mrs. Council/Township Board states then we better place a moratorium on this for 6 months....... motion made and all vote yes on moratorium. This matter will now go to our planning consultants to develop the language for zoning and development of a MM 'WAREHOUSE" or DISPENSARY and will also include home occupation businesses that grow for other patients. Why is it 6 months they ask for when they approve a moratorium? It will take a month or two to get the language together and brought back to the agenda. They must have 2 readings of the new ordinance at two separate meetings. Should any voting members want any part of the language changed it will delay it at least 2 to 4 weeks before it hits the agenda again. The language may be tweaked a few more times and ordinance may not be read until the deadline or worse case scenario the voting members will ask for an extension of X amount of days or months.

This is why I am so passionate about us educating these communities before they get the request. Most communities do not even approach this subject until someone follows all the rules and will ask if the can do (fill in the blanks) in their community. In order to do anything legally in any community you must have zoning laws and ordinances that cover that activity. If you just open up shop you will either be shut down or if your lucky they will leave you alone until they develop the ordinance to cover you and it will be retro active to cover any new MM establishments.

Dizz

your resident local official

If anyone wants to help.....:goodjob:

we are protesting on Tuesday starting at 6:30pm at bedford township hall..

This will be peacefull!!! and we are going the low key route, no sighs or banners just letting the other side be heard..

please come, and make or voice unforgettable....:sword:

If anyone wants to help.....:goodjob:

we are protesting on Tuesday starting at 6:30pm at bedford township hall..

This will be peacefull!!! and we are going the low key route, no sighs or banners just letting the other side be heard..

please come, and make or voice unforgettable....:sword:

bedford township agenda they want to sneak it in on us.. line 7 ....come on...WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!!!

man, these tinkle me off..

it's like gun control - all it does it takes it out the hands who really need it.

This is why im begging for help.. coldwater just won theirs... precedent has been set....

Ya it would be nice to have a dispencery around close..

will it happen someday YES.. but why say its bad, for no good reason..:growl:

This is the biggest reason I feel we need to get our side out first. So far we do not have any hand outs and it may be wise to put one together here as a group to insure we are handing out something that is going to be consistent to each community. These people freak out at the thought of marijuana let alone let it be legal medical marijuana.

Dizz

Is there any text to this application moratorium? Simply put, what exactly are they trying to put a moratorium on? Is it on dispensaries applying for permits, or caregivers being required to have permits and then stopping all applications for some period of time?

Any insight would be appreciated.

This is our best chance to get caregivers out of the line of fire. It is against the State Constitution for them to regulate caregivers. That must not be a part of any moratorium!

I agree with you and Dizz that getting the information out to these folks and showing we are willing to fight is the best chance we have of fighting the waves of counties and municipalities looking at this route.

I was simply curious if there was a draft yet of the proposed or soon to be proposed moratorium.

I still take that vow I made a little over 20 years ago pretty seriously, "... against all enemies, foreign and domestic." ;)

This seems to be just a reading of a report on the findings of staff and a request to move forward towards drafting the moratorium. Am I wrong?

Rev, it could be much more than that, and I believe it is. We must remain diligent.

For one, they are banning applications on Marijuana related businesses. This is unacceptable, as the zoning application process serves as a form of communication between government, constituents, and entrepreneurs.

Two, this looks to be a new tactic. If a township does not process an application for a business, then it has not formerly turned down or approved the business. This is a way for them to avoid going before a judge should they ban mmj related business or refuse a legitimate one. If this tactic works in the southeast, it will spread.

Lastly, even if this just were an innocent preliminary discussion, we need to dominate that discussion and control this issue from the get go.

Let’s get on this. 7pm

Rev, it could be much more than that, and I believe it is. We must remain diligent.

For one, they are banning applications on Marijuana related businesses. This is unacceptable, as the zoning application process serves as a form of communication between government, constituents, and entrepreneurs.

Two, this looks to be a new tactic. If a township does not process an application for a business, then it has not formerly turned down or approved the business. This is a way for them to avoid going before a judge should they ban mmj related business or refuse a legitimate one. If this tactic works in the southeast, it will spread.

Lastly, even if this just were an innocent preliminary discussion, we need to dominate that discussion and control this issue from the get go.

Let’s get on this. 7pm

No doubts about that. Depending on which stage of the game it is in, would vary which targets to aim at. In other words if it is in the pre draft stage, there is lots of room for educating those doing the drafting, but more importantly the council members haven't been tainted as badly yet by propaganda from MML and the DEA.

I will be there with you in spirit and will, unfortunately my physical body must remain in Midland for another couple hours. Any text of the moratorium would be appreciated if it is found or released.

Sounds like a good result?

Not Really ..they still voted a 6 month moritoryum in affect for big business zoning apps.

Still dont like this. I would love to have a dispencary nearby..heck id love to help..

But it seams as if we might have a friend in 1 or 2 of the board members. They just need more info..

Not Really ..they still voted a 6 month moritoryum in affect for big business zoning apps.

Still dont like this. I would love to have a dispencary nearby..heck id love to help..

But it seams as if we might have a friend in 1 or 2 of the board members. They just need more info..

Mr blueberry can I get a copy or link to the video your wife took???? Your inbox is full to my brother.

Archived