Question On Spider Mites

puffaway

My last grow had to be harvested too early due to spider mites, so my room has been empty for two months now. My question is this? Where to spider mites come from? Is there any chance there are some left in my very clean room with is separate from the rest of the basement and well ventilated?

OR...did those mites come in on the clone I got from someone else? When I bring in a clone next should I put it in a garbage bag and flood it with CO2 to kill any possible mites? And if so how long should I do that process before it damages my plant?

THanks much....

Hot Shot strips in the room for 3 to 4 days will kill any bugs in there. I usually will put one in my room on and off just to make sure I have no mites. Yes your clone could have had them on it. Try the Hot Shot you will get good results. I don't know about the co2 to kill them.

Dizz

Thanks. I'll start dosing the room with hot shot strips as soon as I can get them. I assume they are available at Home Depot etc? If not..where?

I'll give it a month before I start another grow and vacuum out all the corners of the room etc.

You really need a strategy for not letting them build up.

Once you start flowering you have less options, so you want them at practically zero right before flower.(not really possible unless you use a product so toxic that you won't want to use the final product). But there are less toxic sprays that will slow them down.

Most people have some. Some are fine. The trick is to disrupt the breeding cycle. They are fairly harmless until they reach high numbers, then it's a run away train to destruction.

http://hightimes.com/grow/jcervantes/46

• 3 weeks later...

Week 2 of the new grow from clones and all is fine. I did the bug bomb in the room a week before the new plants came in, wiped everying down (all smooth surfaces including the panda film on the floor) after two days and took everything out of the room before and hand wiped everything that went into the room for misc. storage before it came back in.

Hopefully all will be fine. I'm thinking about putting up the no pest strips for a couple days a week as a preventative measure. When these things hit there is no way to get them under control. I was practically living in that room and it was'nt enough to stop them once they got entrenched.

Its so nice to see all my plants totally healthy. I actually got used to seeing them weak and half dried out because the infestitation was going on for so long. My humidity was low and theres not much I can do about it with the ventilation I need to avoid the smell in the rest of the basement with relatives coming over so much etc.

I just had to knock down a well developed mite problem. I was gone for two weeks, got back and they were raging. I used a simple organic spray from those flowers, pyrethren? or something like that and alternated that with organic insecticide, miticide, fugucide soap. Sprayed undersides of the leaves on day 1, again on day 2 with the soap this time, then waited three days and repeated. No living mites have been found yet and one or the other spray wiped out all the eggs. I have been keeping the temp down in the 50-65 degree range with nearly 70% humidity. I'll repeat the spray one more time in three to five days depending on what I see under the scope. I mixed a heavy bleach and water 2-1 ratio and wiped down all the lights, air tubes, ceiling, walls, floor and fans. I also sprayed the dirt and trimmed all lower branches off to make killing the little buggers easier. So far, so good. The sprays haven't affected or stressed out the plants, they look healthy and thriving besides the spots left on the lower fan leaves. All in all I thought they would be much harder to get rid of without hot shots or heavy duty miticide. I think the whole trick to it is really looking and closely examining your girls. Catching and stopping them quickly is key as they can take over your room in as little as a few dry, warm days. Glad you got your room back together, you should be fine now. Just keep on top of it, know what to look for, and treat accordingly.

When I bring in a clone next should I put it in a garbage bag and flood it with CO2 to kill any possible mites? And if so how long should I do that process before it damages my plant?

THanks much....

When you bring in the next clone ?

Those clones contain spidermites

Even if it didnt... assume they are loaded with spidermites

decontaminate them BIGTIME

Better to grow from seeds !!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Yes, everything wiped down great, and the white color makes it easy to spot any other bugs etc.

Anyhow, no more spidermites 6 weeks into the new grow and I'm in flower now. Some kinda small things that look like mini gnats, but not enough to be concerned with. If they start to multiply a lot I'll bug bomb the room again. I caught a bunch of them on the sticky paper I put all around all the plants but few are left now.

It just does not seem to be a good thing to bug bomb a room full of plants that are going to be smoked, but it sounds like thats what people are doing.

UPDATE:

Yes, everything wiped down great, and the white color makes it easy to spot any other bugs etc.

Anyhow, no more spidermites 6 weeks into the new grow and I'm in flower now. Some kinda small things that look like mini gnats, but not enough to be concerned with. If they start to multiply a lot I'll bug bomb the room again. I caught a bunch of them on the sticky paper I put all around all the plants but few are left now.

It just does not seem to be a good thing to bug bomb a room full of plants that are going to be smoked, but it sounds like thats what people are doing.

if the gnat problem gets worse, see this thread : http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/20380-green-sand/

:)

Archived