Would You Try It?

A couple weeks ago was harvest time for my honeybees. As I was making honeysticks for the kids I was struck with an idea. Why not infuse some with pot? So here's what I did. I took some old everclear (about a pint) I had in the cabinet and added about a half ounce of ground up commercial herb to it. I've never done this so I was unsure about the ratio. I just kept adding herb til I though it looked like enough. I let this steep for three days then strained and squeezed all the booze out. I mixed this with a pint of my later summer honey since the flavor is a little more robust than the early summer light stuff. Then I started boiling it down. When I got it down to my original pint, I checked the moisture content w/ my refractometer to make sure the honey was back at 17% (any higher and it will spoil...at 17% it will literally keep for centuries). It was still a little high so I kept going til it got to where I needed it. The honey was a strange color...kinda greenish like really good Tupelo honey is...but it tasted amazing. Sorta sweet and grassy. I filled a bunch of straws and made them into honeysticks. I kept a few for myself and gave the rest to my cg to hand out to his patients as samples. The potency was pretty good...produced a good body buzz without knocking you out cold. The only problem is that you have to eat 2-3 of them and in order to do that you have to REALLY like honey-it can be kinda cloying, ya know? If I hadn't already bottled the lighter early stuff, I'd have tried that too since it has a more delicate floral flavor. My question is...would you try it/possible buy it? My cg and I are considering making it an sellable medible next honey season (assuming my bee winter over okay this year-fingers crossed). What do you think?

Great idea. I was thinking of putting a hive in my CG room for the bees to make THC honey and for security. Imagine someone smashing door right into the hive LOL. Not sure if they would make honey w/o alot of males though.

Have you ever put medicine in your bee smoker ?

Great idea. I was thinking of putting a hive in my CG room for the bees to make THC honey and for security. Imagine someone smashing door right into the hive LOL. Not sure if they would make honey w/o alot of males though.

Have you ever put medicine in your bee smoker ?

Never wanted to waste the meds in the smoker. It gets too hot to get your mouth anywhere near close enough to get a hit. Your bees would not survive indoors, I'm afraid. They need to forage for food for 8-12 hours a day (and they like to do it in the sunlight) and require a near constant nectar flow in the spring/early summer to support the queen so that she can lay eggs and increase the colony. Also, unless you can find somebody irresponsible enough to supply you with Africanized honeybees, the chances of them being good security are slim. A honeybee lives to make honey-that's what they do. They die when they sting so they try to avoid doing that if they can. Might I suggest a nice German Shepard or a Pit Bull? LOL. I think you'd be a little more protected with a canine companion.

My question is...would you try it/possible buy it? My cg and I are considering making it an sellable medible next honey season (assuming my bee winter over okay this year-fingers crossed). What do you think?

Yes, yes, and yes please. And a final yes, just to be sure. Hell yeah, honey is awesome, would be great in my hemp milk tea.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my cg and I are going to give it a try next harvest. I can't really take any more honey from my hives this years because the bees need the rest to eat over winter and I don't like to give them artificial feed but next year I think I'll try it with my early season honey. I love the darker stuff but most people find it too strong. If it takes off, I'll try to send out samples to whoever wants them. I didn't do any whole bottles of mmj honey so I don't know if it keeps well in quanity. I do know that the honey straws (honeysticks) were a hit. Its also a controlled dosing method which is important if I ever want to sell them. Thanks for the input :) I thought the idea was a little weird but people seem to like it, so maybe it is something to have a go at.

I love honey. And Michigan honey at that. I'm in. Would also be interested in getting some straight honey from you as well. Let me know if that's possible. Thanks!!

Totally possible. I'm sold out this season...I got hit hard at the RO farmers market for their corn roast/county fair and I can't part w/ my personal stash but I will definitely look you up next summer. Of course this is all up to my bees and how they winter-over this year. I had to requeen this year since last year's queen died sometime in March so that meant fewer bees this year and a smaller crop (another reason I sold out so quick). I'll keep you in mind for the first harvest next year for sure :)

Hi there, I'm a fellow bee keeper and love the idea & thread... I will certainly research this possibility as well. Thanks for the thought!

Them honey bee's are amazing!

Honeybees are fascinating creatures. I kept hives at home until my kids were old enough to run around the yard, then I moved them to another beekeeper's property who lived out near my best friend's farm and didn't have quite so many toddlers running around. Lol. In exchange for him handling the day-to-day needs of the colonies, he takes a share of the honey. Of course, I cover anything needed for them...bought a couple new queens this spring to replace one dead one and one that wasn't laying well. I'll may keep hives again once the kiddos are a little older, but for now, the arrangement works well. I don't even have to rent an extractor anymore because this guy has a fully functioning honeyhouse.

Oh I hope to tend my own bees someday.. I adore bees :)

I'm looking for a good, trustworthy Beekeep in the Berrien County area if anyone knows of one.

I had a Beekeep that I used to get the best buckwheat honey from in Wi. At the end of the season I would get 5 pound jars for like, 9 bucks a jar from a faire (the vendor wanted to clear her stock before traveling back home). But that vendor is gone, and I have used up all my honey stores.

Then again, I want to make mead with the honey. Is canna-honey good to store like regular honey?

• 4 months later...

A couple weeks ago was harvest time for my honeybees. As I was making honeysticks for the kids I was struck with an idea. Why not infuse some with pot? So here's what I did. I took some old everclear (about a pint) I had in the cabinet and added about a half ounce of ground up commercial herb to it. I've never done this so I was unsure about the ratio. I just kept adding herb til I though it looked like enough. I let this steep for three days then strained and squeezed all the booze out. I mixed this with a pint of my later summer honey since the flavor is a little more robust than the early summer light stuff. Then I started boiling it down. When I got it down to my original pint, I checked the moisture content w/ my refractometer to make sure the honey was back at 17% (any higher and it will spoil...at 17% it will literally keep for centuries). It was still a little high so I kept going til it got to where I needed it. The honey was a strange color...kinda greenish like really good Tupelo honey is...but it tasted amazing. Sorta sweet and grassy. I filled a bunch of straws and made them into honeysticks. I kept a few for myself and gave the rest to my cg to hand out to his patients as samples. The potency was pretty good...produced a good body buzz without knocking you out cold. The only problem is that you have to eat 2-3 of them and in order to do that you have to REALLY like honey-it can be kinda cloying, ya know? If I hadn't already bottled the lighter early stuff, I'd have tried that too since it has a more delicate floral flavor. My question is...would you try it/possible buy it? My cg and I are considering making it an sellable medible next honey season (assuming my bee winter over okay this year-fingers crossed). What do you think?

Archived