Mm Plant Theft Question

Jennifer8

Ok, since someone posted a thread about being ripped off, which stinks, I have this question.

If you have a home owners insurance policy from an insurance company that has HQ in Michigan, and your home possessions are insured under your homeowner's policy:

1.) If the insurance company is Michigan based, can you claim MM plants as part of your items on the policy

and

2.) If your homeowner's policy is with a Michigan based insurance company, and your MM plants do get destroyed in a flood or stolen, can a person collect insurance compensation for them?

There was one instance that i recall here where someone said their insurance company actually reimbursed him for his stolen plants to my recollection he didn't mention which carrier it was i would call your agent and throw a few veiled questions their way see what they say.

Ok, since someone posted a thread about being ripped off, which stinks, I have this question.

If you have a home owners insurance policy from an insurance company that has HQ in Michigan, and your home possessions are insured under your homeowner's policy:

1.) If the insurance company is Michigan based, can you claim MM plants as part of your items on the policy

and

2.) If your homeowner's policy is with a Michigan based insurance company, and your MM plants do get destroyed in a flood or stolen, can a person collect insurance compensation for them?

As it stands right now, most insurance companies would cancel your policy if they knew you had a MMJ grow set up.

Some will still insure you, but make you add a rider on your policy to cover the crops.

If a home hobby or business takes up more then 10% of a residential building, that structure does not have coverage on a standard form home insurance policy.

Say you have a grow room, some of your grow equipment causes a fire, and damages or destroys your house.

The insurance would cover the resulting damage to your house and property, but possibly not the cause. (grow equipment)

Each company is different, best thing to due would be to call your insurance agent, and ask an "anonymous" question about it. like "do you have any companies that provide coverage for medical marijuana?"

I read an article (sorry I don't have the link) a few months ago about

an insurance "man" coming up with specific insurance for MM. I think

the article said he was traveling to the MM States to get feed back

from Caregivers as to what an insurance policy of this sort should

cover etc... Try a search or maybe someone else on here will be able

to chime in w/more specific info on the "new insurance coverage" this

man was proposing.

I think I would rather have coverage on everything else, and just eat the loss of the plants, unless they can simply be covered as "plants", with no further detail on it. On the other hand, I could just eat the loss, period. It's really not that big of a deal, to me, if it would be one a few plants, but I thought it would be an interesting situation. It would be a total stink situation if it were something like 60 plants.

S C made an interesting point, regardless of what the hobby or small home based business is:

"If a home hobby or business takes up more then 10% of a residential building, that structure does not have coverage on a standard form home insurance policy."

I read an article (sorry I don't have the link) a few months ago about

an insurance "man" coming up with specific insurance for MM. I think

the article said he was traveling to the MM States to get feed back

from Caregivers as to what an insurance policy of this sort should

cover etc... Try a search or maybe someone else on here will be able

to chime in w/more specific info on the "new insurance coverage" this

man was proposing.

Eh, I don't know what to say to that. There is no reason for someone to create a "new coverage".

With as many patients / caregivers that MI already has, insurance companies will be forced to either-

a)make riders available to provide coverages for MM related items.

b)consider the MM related items as personal property that is already covered under the standard form policy.

c)refuse to insure dwellings with grow areas.

I highly doubt most will go with c! a would be the most likely, add a charge to your current policy and add coverage for MM related items. The part that is prob holding them up is how much to charge and how to underwrite it.

The insurance companies are receiving more and more inquires about how they are going to handle homeowners policies that have grow areas, or other MM related activities in them or other structures on there property.

Some companies have already made riders available for there home policies, for patients, not caregivers from what i have seen tho.

For caregivers, growing in your home, it looks like they will force you to take out a small liability policy on your CG "business" or your home policy will non renew, but they will let you add the coverage of your equipment and medicine to your home policy.

Every company will come up with there own variation of a rider to either add coverage to or exclude coverage from MM related items.

Most companies, at current would probably cover the resulting damage in a claim but would deny coverage for the MM related items, some companies will prob send you a letter stating to either remove the grow room/equipment or your policy will non renew.

Yes. it was specifically geared for the Cannabis "industry" and he

was getting very positive input as to what home growers, collectives

and dispensaries might need as insurance.

I'm not as wise about insurance policies and riders etc.

It was something I read and just wanted to add.

And yes... it was a "new type of coverage" geared just for

Medical Cannabis.

Didn't offer the info to get a lecture. Thanks though

for your knowledge and opinions.

Sure makes me want to post when I get knocked

by what info I do post.

I will just continue to lurk and learn and leave

all the "real information" to those in the know.

sorry

when

Eh, I don't know what to say to that. There is no reason for someone to create a "new coverage".

With as many patients / caregivers that MI already has, insurance companies will be forced to either-

b)consider the MM related items as personal property that is already covered under the standard form policy.

I highly doubt most will go with c! a would be the most likely, add a charge to your current policy and add coverage for MM related items. The part that is prob holding them up is how much to charge and how to underwrite it.

The insurance companies are receiving more and more inquires about how they are going to handle homeowners policies that have grow areas, or other MM related activities in them or other structures on there property.

Some companies have already made riders available for there home policies, for patients, not caregivers from what i have seen tho.

For caregivers, growing in your home, it looks like they will force you to take out a small liability policy on your CG "business" or your home policy will non renew, but they will let you add the coverage of your equipment and medicine to your home policy.

Every company will come up with there own variation of a rider to either add coverage to or exclude coverage from MM related items.

Most companies, at current would probably cover the resulting damage in a claim but would deny coverage for the MM related items, some companies will prob send you a letter stating to either remove the grow room/equipment or your policy will non renew.

Actually, those riders already exist, and certain insurance companies have special policies to cover every aspect of the dangers of growing, be it loss of product, theft of equipment, or a simple (?) flood...j.b.

I'll let you know what happens, we just turned our theft situation into our insurance company. Although of coarse, we talked to them immediately, and they were pissy. (out of New York no MM law there) BUT, she did say to send proof of my legal status with my claims form.

And, you can bet you sweet lips that if someone comes in and STEALS from you, you WILL want compensation. I am the type of person that would have said to just eat the costs too..........

But, the violation, the fact that they took ALL my medicine I had ready and that WOULD be ready over the next 2 months or so. They stole between 8-10oz! I had 2 in jars, and 4 plants. The next 4 plants ready to come down. Not all at once mind you, there was only 1 plant that was scheduled to come down that weekend. I am out of tincture, I usually will make olive oil, and either cook with it or use it topically...........All the medication I had ALMOST available to make the medicine I need to control the pain I am in...............gone

So, now what...............My spouse is my CG. I would be forced to go to a dispensary..............How much would 8 - 10 oz cost from a dispensary?

What am I to do? I have already begun taking more of my pain medication, and savoring the little medication I can get my hands on.

We are NOT Insurance claiming people. This is our 2nd claim in 15 years. The first was a flood situation. They BETTER NOT drop us!

So sorry to hear Irishgreen. Really takes the fun out of being legal when you hear about (or go through) something like this.

Thanks Shishka~~~~ It really does suck. I think the fact that we know it was close friends of ours, but do not have enough proof to prosecute is even more depressing.

HOWEVER~ I have come to learn who my true friends are, and as corny as it sounds...........it's true. :)

John Roberts got ripped off.

His insurance company paid $500 per plant then canceled his coverage.

I understand that if you file against homeowners for anything, the company will drop you.

Really ...???

Wouldnt that be like 70,000 dollars ?

I guess things are looking up after all ! :D

...provided the feds dont charge him with a 40 year felony :(

Question for insurance company's would be is "How much premium would it be for prize Roses in a 10k grow room built in a house?" Saying they were under 5k per plant covering Theft only. I bet you could get a policy just covering Theft for equipment that would include plant damage and or theft cause by the crime.

I have some friends who work for a Michigan based insurance come. Some months ago, I asked them your questions. After ten minutes of laughter, and intervention from a manager who knew what I was involved, they began to look for answers.

I was told that as a patient, you might be cover for those plants (up to 12) that you could prove. As a caregiver, you would not be covered because you are engaged in a business, and home-base businesses are not covered. The exception would be the CG whose patient lives in the same household.

As for what you could collect, there is likely something in your policy that states the maximum the company will pay for houseplants, plants, and medication (for example: most policy will reimburse up to $500, even if you lost $50,000). Without grabbing my policy, I think there was a $500 max on each of these things. Keep in mind that some policies may not allow for this much.

For what insurance calls a flood, you would have to have purchased an expensive flood policy. This would not cover what the public calls a flood.

Yes. it was specifically geared for the Cannabis "industry" and he

was getting very positive input as to what home growers, collectives

and dispensaries might need as insurance.

I'm not as wise about insurance policies and riders etc.

It was something I read and just wanted to add.

And yes... it was a "new type of coverage" geared just for

Medical Cannabis.

Didn't offer the info to get a lecture. Thanks though

for your knowledge and opinions.

Sure makes me want to post when I get knocked

by what info I do post.

I will just continue to lurk and learn and leave

all the "real information" to those in the know.

sorry

when

Didn't intend to sound harsh toward you, I was just giving my opinion on why such a thing would be difficult to do, and why it is not warranted.

Was meant to be conversational, not an "I'm right, you're wrong" kinda thing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

Didn't intend to sound harsh toward you, I was just giving my opinion on why such a thing would be difficult to do, and why it is not warranted.

Was meant to be conversational, not an "I'm right, you're wrong" kinda thing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

Hey; we're cool. I didn't mean to come across confrontational either!

I re-read my post and I was a bit snippy and I really didn't mean to

come off like that... not my usual style.

I did find the thread that I read about this, some time after my post.

I would send you the link if I could (and I will figure it out eventually!),

to the thread the article was in. I do believe it was Mr. Komorn who

opened the thread. Being the vet you are, if you are interested...

I'm sure you can find it :)

Have an awesome day.

peace

Archived