Recommend A $50 Or So Ph Meter?

The Mayor

Howdy gang,

I have a pHep hand held pH meter that I got new for under $30, and while I calibrate it more than once a week...I am noticing that it is acting funny. It started slowing down when reading pH, and I often get different readings when putting it in the res, taking it out and then putting it in again. It wasn't always like this but has recently started being weird. I got it about 5 months ago and admittedly have dropped it in the water twice so far. Each time after drying it appeared to work just fine.

So, I'm wondering what you are using and what would you recommend? I would still like to keep the cost around $50 or so, but am open to hearing the pros and cons of more expensive models.

Thanks.

I bought an Oakton PH meter this spring for about $50, and I'm very glad I did. It does need calibration every week or two, in new calibration solution.

I also noticed that it can take 30-45 seconds to stabilize a reading, longer if the water temp is much different than the meter temp. If the water is cold, right out of the tap, then I leave the meter in there for a minute or so to stabilize the last few tenths of a PH unit.

35423_10.jpg

Oakton EcoTestr

Thanks everyone. That was a bunch of good info. I have touched the tip of my meter before because it had something on it. I thought maybe the temp difference might have been an issue but since have come to prove it isn't.

I wonder if I hadn't done permanent damage when dropping it into the res. It seemed to work ok after it dried out but now it is just kind of failing. I'm going to take these tips and head out to the shop!

I have been using the Milwaukee pH51 Waterproof pH Tester for about 1.5 years. It is very fast to pinpoint ph, and very consistant. Best of all is their customer service. I had problems with the original pen I purchased after 6 months and called them to find a replacement probe. When I explained the problem to them, they ended up replacing it for free (shipping and all) without proof of purchase, warranty card, reciept... nothing! The replacement Pen has lasted just over a year so far, and I plan to replace with the same when time.

Best price found for it @ http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/milwaukee-ph51-waterproof-ph-tester-p-1692.html

:thumbsu: Good Luck +rep

Well, I have also gotten an offline recommendation for the Milwaukee pH51 Waterproof pH Tester, so I will be looking to procure that one.

Thank you all for stopping by and sharing your opinions. I come here a lot to read what everyone is discussing so that I can learn as much as possible. I find that to be quite rewarding.

When it finally becomes time for me to ask for information and/or help with my own medical grow, the reward is even better. This is a great community with a really positive vibe. I'm glad I get to be a part of it.

Archived