Flowering With A T5? I Think So!

Guest drcanna-pest

Guest drcanna-pest

again from my experience using a T5 for veg creates a very very tight node ratio. certain strains seem to LOVE it. super lemon haze grows faster in this lighting than a MH 600w to veg - I've tried for 2 runs and I know this to be true. To flower - there is NOTHING better than a 1000watt (cooled with a fan blowing THROUGH the light so you can get plants w/ in 1ft of glass) with T5 laying horizontal on each side. Premium penetration. Again though...heat issues in summer. Electric bills always. For someone growing their own meds T5 is the most efficient on the market (if you switch the bulbs to flower)

i have already talked to cjorden about this, but wondered what other opinions are about it. I spoke with another more experienced grower that i really respect recently. he suggested that T5 lights can do really well in Flower rooms, but there is one piece that they lack: bud density. His suggestion was that T5 bulbs can produce large buds, but they tend to be more airy and loose than if they were grown in an HPS-lit room. Anyone have this same experience or a different one?

Guest drcanna-pest

i have already talked to cjorden about this, but wondered what other opinions are about it. I spoke with another more experienced grower that i really respect recently. he suggested that T5 lights can do really well in Flower rooms, but there is one piece that they lack: bud density. His suggestion was that T5 bulbs can produce large buds, but they tend to be more airy and loose than if they were grown in an HPS-lit room. Anyone have this same experience or a different one?

My results are the exact opposite. Not as big of buds but very dense. I would really like to know what strains he was growing....

Guest drcanna-pest

No No not better yield. Nice dense buds but just a wee bit smaller. I grow Super Lemon Haze. There is no question HPS will give you the biggest results because of the light penetration. But you can get a good size.

Guest drcanna-pest

ok :)

i kinda flew through the thread.... i have been busy for a couple days.

just wanted to make positive you were not conveying to anyone that flowering under cfl/T5 is better than HPS in any way concerning yield or bud density or amount per plant. :)

we good :)

No way sir. Thank you for checking it out. I was just hoping to give folks a more cost effective way to grow their medicine during the harsh summer climate. T5 can do a good justice.

HPS w/ T5 horizontal has given me the best results by far but I just installed an LED instead of the T5 in the flowering to help w/ the HPS and I use T5 to veg- for that I wouldn't use anything else. Not even MH for veg - only T5. What do you think? By the way...I really enjoy this site. I just joined but really like your input and I think there is some great info here. Take care - Happy Labor Day

Guest drcanna-pest

Has anyone grown with LED lighting? I haven't seen this discussed much here...so I will post a topic here soon with my knowledge. I have been using it as a supplement to flower with. I may just try to flower a few with just the LED.

I know it works GREAT for clones and veg.

Guest drcanna-pest

I only use t5's and CFL lights for Vegging seedling and or Clones ONLY. A dual 600 side by side are even better than a 1,000 watter. I have 1 room with a 1,000 watt HPS is is the whip and 2 600's in another. The HID lights simply cannot be compared to a inferior T5 or CFL. HID is soo much more powerful in all aspects. In my basement for example inthe winter the heat emission given off is strong enough to keep the rooms ambient. While a T5 even a large t5 will not generate enough heat in the dead of winter to keep them comfy.

I don't think you should use HID just because they produce heat. T5 in the winter is much better...and in the summer. To veg. HID doesn't create the tight leaf to node ratio the T5 does. Now I would add a HID and a T5 together...but not just a HID. Same for flowering...add a T5 to the HPS. Nothing better.

Guest drcanna-pest

I'm having very tight dense buds with Super Lemon Haze. The size is just a little tiny bit smaller than when I add the HPS as well. The airy loose buds are the strain...or nutes or something else. The T5 is used right create tight bushy plants with nice buds.

Has anyone grown with LED lighting? I haven't seen this discussed much here...so I will post a topic here soon with my knowledge. I have been using it as a supplement to flower with. I may just try to flower a few with just the LED.

I know it works GREAT for clones and veg.

for flowering, LED are not as good as HID lights. They do work well, a bit better then t5s and cfls, but the cost of the LED coupled with the sub par light penetration, (compared to HID) they are not worth it, to me anyways.

Guest drcanna-pest

for flowering, LED are not as good as HID lights. They do work well, a bit better then t5s and cfls, but the cost of the LED coupled with the sub par light penetration, (compared to HID) they are not worth it, to me anyways.

yea i can't see myself going to buy and LED when what I have works better than most systems I have seen. HPS + T5 in flowering is f-ing awesome.

if you get LEDs, pay only TOP DOLLAR. there are some really good products(big LED, 5watts each) out there and some cheap ones too that are a waste of money(check ebay, china made bs). make sure the board has lots of air circulation. expect to pay 3-5x for a LED vs. HID system to cover the same space. make your money back in a few years of electricity savings. heavy upfront costs though. i liked the custom color spectrum feature of LED. more like the sun for indoor gardens.

• 5 years later...