600 Watt Hps ?

GanjaWarrior

There is an HTG supply right in Taylor MI. I may go there it is only 40 mins away from me :) An electrician friend is giving me a 1000w HPS light with hood for free so I guess thats what I will be starting with. Won't 2 600w get pretty hot, compared to 1 1000w? Seems like it would be better for you to go with 1000w in the end it may be more work but I bet it will be worth it.

Hortilux is a great bulb.

Yeah Htg is always very helpful . Had great service evrytime i go there and ost of the prices are good too. What kind of dirt you using? I've been using Ocean forest and have had excellent results. Found it cheap for 16.99 a bag in toledo. at Black Diamond http://www.blackdiamondtoledo.com/

I am currently running 2 400 watt hps.... i just signed on another pt and am looking to up grade. heats a complain and 2 points of light is better than one so.... i opt for two 600 watt hps. heres my issue.... where in the hell do i get em. htg ( no i dont work there lol) has the best deal...i mean the best, sometimes 100s less than other places. i have dealt with them and been nothing but happy. My only concern is i see others willingly spending hundresd more and its kinda got me freaked out.... whats the dif why do some people spend so much more on a light?

HTG has great deals i would buy the 2 600w kits with the medium sized 6in air cooled hoods and talk to them about bulb upgrades ... you should leave spending less than 300/set....

its htgsupply.com - the only problem is - the savings you have in price - you'll pay in shipping cost.

They do have a taylor store in michigan, but I am not near taylor. Instead, I get the same price by getting an MOCC discount at certain grow shops.

The glass hardly effects the lumens, we are talking about 85,000 to 190,000 lumens - and plants just need the optimum 10,000 lumens. It is distance that kills lumens, one foot you can have 80,000 lumens, but 2 feet away, it will be 20,000. So air cooled, glassed reflectors allows the plant to be inches away - allowing the maximum light depth/penetration of the plant. It is worth any 'defraction' by the glass. Without aircooled, your plants would have to be 1.5 foot away to prevent burning.

I also use rigid and semi rigid ducting - the cheap flexible ducting leaks suction/air. I found that I didn't really need to raise and lower my lights - so I fixed them in place and use rigid ducting - its not expensive and its not hard to work with. I suggest Flex-fix tape as well.

The two air cooled lights, with the inline fan speed dialed in, only raises the temperature in the room .5 degree above ambient - thats how sweet aircooled, glassed, vented systems are.

-DN

• 2 weeks later...

My Master Kush and Stinky Widow are all currently frosted..... works for me. Genetics would be a factor, too.

Click Here For A Pic Of Previous Grow ....next to a quart bottle.....on what was my second grow, at that time.

Not saying my frosted nugs are the best. But, my Patient and I like the fact it's better than commercial, cheaper, and Safer. I know where it came from. And although legal, as a cardholder, I didn't buy it off the streets.

If money wasn't an option. If venting the extra heat wasn't a concern. I would use 1000 watters, with no glass in the hoods. But, I read up, talked to the dude at the store about my tomatoes, and am cool with the decision I made.

New growers think the 1000W is the best because it has a bunch of zero's and is 400 MORE! than 600. People buy the thousands and wish they had the 600's after they see their electric bill.

A 600W is the most efficient light.

If anyone tells you that they can't grow an excellent high quality crop with a 600W, then they probably need help with their gardening skills.

You've seen the handyman who always blames the tools when he makes a mess of things?

IF you are a good gardener you can get a decent crop with any light.

Shouldn't running a 1K bulb only make your electric go up like $60.00 if your on an 18/6 schedule for a month? Also if I run it using 220v will that be better?

Running the light at a different voltage will not change the amount of power being used, although there may be a small increase in efficiency due to less resistance with lower current.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, but you have to factor in the light loss due to defraction from the glass.

Sugar coated. Sticky. Economical. Easier to control the heat than without glass.

If money was not an issue, and I had a 12' ceiling, I would go with the 1000 watters..... why not ?

Peace

I think I have the best answer. It shouldn't be just one 1000w or two 600w, I would definitely choose two 1000W. If done right, 1000W bulbs can be cooled just as well as a 600W or a 400W and they can also be placed just as close to the plants too. I have two 1000W right now placed less than one foot away from the plants with no heat or burn issues. It did require some customizing, but hey, it works! 400W, 600W, 1000W, I like them all. Each has it's own benefits.

My link Here are the 1000W lamps that can be placed just as close to the plants as a 400W or 600W. My dilemma in building this grow closet was to use two 1000W or three 600W lamps. The only way I will know for sure which way is better is to build an identical closet but with three 600W and compare with clones. I may just do that in the future.

:D

Wait! I could be wrong.

The proper answer to this equation LOL is a 750W HPS made in the good old USA maybe even two.

That is standard in this country. 600W is a Canadian set up.

USA does not use or make 600W, at least not for industrial use. If you look at industrial lighting companies you can find 750W fixtures.

I have three 400W lights that were wall packs for industrial use. It has been about 10 years and all three are working just great. I did have to do some customizing to the fixtures for them to operate in indoor use, at least for using in a grow room. Also I have been using them continuously throughout the ten years.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 6 foot height ceiling(yes only 6 ft)

i suppose 1000W is out of the option?

two 600W's with cooling duct, sealed hood units, carbon filter on far end 'intake' inline fan opposite end...that is what i am thinking-

how close can i get my sealed 600w to the tops?

i literally have 40" to work with from top of buckets to 12" below lights against ceiling -i will attempt Scrog... heavy bending/training

or will i have to to to 400W :^( ?????????????

how close can i get my sealed 600w to the tops?

Archived