Femanized Seeds & Hermaphrodite Issues

Guest drcanna-pest

Guest drcanna-pest

It is more complicated than JUST genetics or JUST environment....

These plants can have XX, XY XXy XYY, and any combination of chromosomes Up to 4 in one plant.

They are present within the seed.. and depending on which are dominant (capital X or Y) or recessive (lower case x or y) they MAY or MAY NOT be effected by the environment....

http://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/male-female-decided-at-birth-or-once-they-mature-t39491.html?hilit=Hermie

<< this isn't where I got my Info-- but it sums it up pretty well..

Botany, Genetics and Mendel's Law all are in effect here....

If you are into this sorta read-- try googling "Mendel Cannabis" (Mendel was a famous geneticist that showed how chromosomes from each parent can effect the offspring and the different combination's etc...)

thank you for posting this...the Mendel Cannabis info was great!

Really? :blink:

This is new to me... And I specialize in Sativas. Oh and I usually use nothing but feminized seeds.

Honestly I beg to differ. I have noticed that it's strains that are Indica dominant that tend to be more prone to hermaphroditism.

The last hermaphrodite I had was almost pure Indica. It was Big Bang from Greenhouse Seed Co. This happened quite a long time ago; About 2 yrs ago while I was experimenting with various different things. It was the first one I had seen in YEARS and it was actually from a batch of regular seeds, not feminized...

I suppose it just goes to show the unpredictable nature of the hermaphroditic tendency. It's clearly a genetic trait that can be spurred on at different levels of stress, depending on the genetics of that particular strain.

Yes really.... in fact some who know far more than me have speculated that if it were not for our cross breeding "pure indicas" would never hermie. its thought the hermie trait is nothing more than nature insuring the ability for those genes to continue.... a sativa could be in bud for months and never meet a boy...so in the end most sativas will hermie just to save them selves. a indica in its native enviroment.... would get frozen and or snowed on long b4 the hermie trait would do it any good.. now i dont klnow this to be fact....only that ive read it several times, and from the natural perspective it makes sense.

Yes really.... in fact some who know far more than me have speculated that if it were not for our cross breeding "pure indicas" would never hermie. its thought the hermie trait is nothing more than nature insuring the ability for those genes to continue.... a sativa could be in bud for months and never meet a boy...so in the end most sativas will hermie just to save them selves. a indica in its native enviroment.... would get frozen and or snowed on long b4 the hermie trait would do it any good.. now i dont klnow this to be fact....only that ive read it several times, and from the natural perspective it makes sense.

:blink: I completely disagree. No pun intended though...

However, the truth about this might make much more sense if you're willing to accept it.

Most Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrids originate or originated from strains that have adapted to thrive in tropical regions. These types of environments are normally closer to the equator. Being closer to the equator these regions recieve a much more steady temperature, humidity and an even amount of Sun light all year round. The light cycle varies by a few hours here and there depending on the Earths Axial tilt but it's roughly 12/12 year round near the tropics. Because of the tropical environment there is a lack of seasonal change. The lack of seasonal change provides a much longer growth cycle. Because of the consistent temperatures and steady supply of Sun light Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrid strains tend to not respond hormonally to seasonal changes, such as temperature drops and lack of light, as much as Indicas and Indica dominant hybrids do. This is clearly a genetic survival adaptation by the plant based on the environment. This is evident in almost every aspect of the Cannabis Sativa plants growth; from it's overall structure and leaf shape to it's abnormally long flowering period it has clearly adapted to survive in the tropical environment. Cannabis Sativa is still considered an annual flower, however, and it will still go through the life and death process of breeding and making seeds...

Some Cannabis plants however, have adapted to thrive in much more volatile environments where seasonal change is a scheduled guarantee every year. Cannabis plants which are found growing naturally in regions with seasonal changes, tend to be much more photo and thermal sensitive than other Cannabis varieties, such as Sativas. This makes sense considering Cannabis is a dieocious annual flower and it is naturally inclined to respond to seasonal change. Indicas and Indica dominant hybrid strains are well known for growing or originating in seasonal regions. Because of this Indicas and Indica dominant hybrid strains tend to be much more photo and thermal sensitive than Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrid strains.

The hermaphroditic hormonal response has, many times over, been directly linked to the plants sensitivity to light and temperature fluctuations. Although there can in fact be other causes, 9 times out of 10 hermaphroditic responses are induced by some type of irregular light stress and/or temperature fluctuations. Certain Cannabis strains level of photo and thermal sensitivity are higher than others. Indoors, be it a little light on a power strip that we forgot about or any number of the many other possible abnormal light anomoles in the environment, a ventilation error causing heat build up or loss of heat during the winter, certain Cannabis strains tend to be more sensitive to these stimulations than others and may respond to this via hermaphroditism, depending on that particular strains sensitivity to these abnormalities...

What causes the different levels of photo and thermal sensitivity is not yet 100% clear but environmental influence and adaptation is the leading theoretical answer. Because of thier hieghtened sensitivity to the light cycle and temperature changes one could logically presume that because Indica and Indica dominant hybrids are found in or originate from, or near, seasonal regions where the light cycle and temperatures fluctuate more so than in tropical regions, that Indica bred strains may reserve the tendancy to develope a hermaphroditic hormonal response more so than a Sativa or Sativa dominant hybrid.

It's also theorized that Indicas reserve the hermaphroditic response as a sort of "fail safe" if you will, just in case the seasonal change comes earlier than normal. Which in some instances it can and does. It's thought that the plant has evolved based on environmental fluctuations in seasonal regions to the point where it recognizes early seasonal change based on the photoperiod as well as temperature. Depending on the severity of these changes the plant may have different levels of response for these changes. Once it gets to a certain point, that "fail safe" kicks in and it turns hermie...

Guest drcanna-pest

However, the truth about this might make much more sense if you're willing to accept it.

Most Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrids originate or originated from strains that have adapted to thrive in tropical regions. These types of environments are normally closer to the equator. Being closer to the equator these regions recieve a much more steady temperature, humidity and an even amount of Sun light all year round. The light cycle varies by a few hours here and there depending on the Earths Axial tilt but it's roughly 12/12 year round near the tropics. Because of the tropical environment there is a lack of seasonal change. The lack of seasonal change provides a much longer growth cycle. Because of the consistent temperatures and steady supply of Sun light Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrid strains tend to not respond hormonally to seasonal changes, such as temperature drops and lack of light, as much as Indicas and Indica dominant hybrids do. This is clearly a genetic survival adaptation by the plant based on the environment. This is evident in almost every aspect of the Cannabis Sativa plants growth; from it's overall structure and leaf shape to it's abnormally long flowering period it has clearly adapted to survive in the tropical environment. Cannabis Sativa is still considered an annual flower, however, and it will still go through the life and death process of breeding and making seeds...

Some Cannabis plants however, have adapted to thrive in much more volatile environments where seasonal change is a scheduled guarantee every year. Cannabis plants which are found growing naturally in regions with seasonal changes, tend to be much more photo and thermal sensitive than other Cannabis varieties, such as Sativas. This makes sense considering Cannabis is a dieocious annual flower and it is naturally inclined to respond to seasonal change. Indicas and Indica dominant hybrid strains are well known for growing or originating in seasonal regions. Because of this Indicas and Indica dominant hybrid strains tend to be much more photo and thermal sensitive than Sativas and Sativa dominant hybrid strains.

The hermaphroditic hormonal response has, many times over, been directly linked to the plants sensitivity to light and temperature fluctuations. Although there can in fact be other causes, 9 times out of 10 hermaphroditic responses are induced by some type of irregular light stress and/or temperature fluctuations. Certain Cannabis strains level of photo and thermal sensitivity are higher than others. Indoors, be it a little light on a power strip that we forgot about or any number of the many other possible abnormal light anomoles in the environment, a ventilation error causing heat build up or loss of heat during the winter, certain Cannabis strains tend to be more sensitive to these stimulations than others and may respond to this via hermaphroditism, depending on that particular strains sensitivity to these abnormalities...

What causes the different levels of photo and thermal sensitivity is not yet 100% clear but environmental influence and adaptation is the leading theoretical answer. Because of thier hieghtened sensitivity to the light cycle and temperature changes one could logically presume that because Indica and Indica dominant hybrids are found in or originate from, or near, seasonal regions where the light cycle and temperatures fluctuate more so than in tropical regions, that Indica bred strains may reserve the tendancy to develope a hermaphroditic hormonal response more so than a Sativa or Sativa dominant hybrid.

It's also theorized that Indicas reserve the hermaphroditic response as a sort of "fail safe" if you will, just in case the seasonal change comes earlier than normal. Which in some instances it can and does. It's thought that the plant has evolved based on environmental fluctuations in seasonal regions to the point where it recognizes early seasonal change based on the photoperiod as well as temperature. Depending on the severity of these changes the plant may have different levels of response for these changes. Once it gets to a certain point, that "fail safe" kicks in and it turns hermie...

nice info. thanks Tfarm. what do you think about the plant putting effort into producing seeds vs. potency of buds? any effect there? i know some strains I had would turn purple but once they were stressed during a crop they didnt turn colors and the smell was different as well...

I just grew out fifteen fem power plant seeds from dutch passion which was the first time i have used fem seeds before. All fifteen germinated and grew to be female. Had no issues with any hermies. Just thought i would post this for anyone that wants to try fem seeds but doesnt know who to get them from. Dutch passion worked great for me. Got them from attitude.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree....though i did fnd it interesting that some of the points you made seemed to support what some scientist have said..... hermies come from sativas for the most part. If indicas went hermie due to these conditions you stated ....every indica would have been hermied. the lack of changes you mentioned in the typical sativa climate are the very reason that they go hermie. As stated before it really would be pointless for an indica in the mnts of Afghanistan to pop a male flower due to the weather. It would be frozen dead before it could produce seeds. Now a sativa.... yep the only one given the enviroment for the hermie trait to pan out.....

Well we will just have to agree to disagree....though i did fnd it interesting that some of the points you made seemed to support what some scientist have said..... hermies come from sativas for the most part. If indicas went hermie due to these conditions you stated ....every indica would have been hermied. the lack of changes you mentioned in the typical sativa climate are the very reason that they go hermie. As stated before it really would be pointless for an indica in the mnts of Afghanistan to pop a male flower due to the weather. It would be frozen dead before it could produce seeds. Now a sativa.... yep the only one given the enviroment for the hermie trait to pan out.....

Which scientists are your referring to? Please elaborate on your findings.

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree but at least provide some educated information if you're going to post a blatant disagreement after saying you agree to disagree...

The reasons you provide seem to me to be reiterated misinformed statements.

"As stated before it really would be pointless for an indica in the mnts of Afghanistan to pop a male flower due to the weather. It would be frozen dead before it could produce seeds." - GanjaWarrior

Can you support this statement with logical information? HOW would it be frozen dead before it could produce seeds? I fail to see your point.

Which scientists are your referring to? Please elaborate on your findings.

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree but at least provide some educated information if you're going to post a blatant disagreement after saying you agree to disagree...

The reasons you provide seem to me to be reiterated misinformed statements.

"As stated before it really would be pointless for an indica in the mnts of Afghanistan to pop a male flower due to the weather. It would be frozen dead before it could produce seeds." - GanjaWarrior

Can you support this statement with logical information? HOW would it be frozen dead before it could produce seeds? I fail to see your point.

Ive tried to find a link to common sense but at lat it seems its not so common enough to have a link....yet.

Ok so plant "a" is chillin up in mnt kush.... a few weeks into flower, life is good, along comes a freak winter storm. the temps drop almost killing the plant. the plant, as you suggest, puts out a male flower. A few days later it opens, that night frost kills the plant....where does the hermie trait amount to anything for this plant?

Now plant "b" is in say....Jamaica. its been in flower for 12 weeks....still hasnt met her dream boy. shes waiting....its just not gonna happen. now as i suggest she pops a male flower.... a few days go by she pollinates herself. a few weeks go by she drops fully formed seeds...continuing her "blood line" until next year...hope she meets a boy next time.

:)

srry.... i didnt say it flat out. the plant b went hermie as a means of continuing its genetic line. after 12 weeks in bud it didnt find a date so it did the job it self. i think its important to understand indica or sativa when a plant goes hermie its not stress that does it.... stress is merely the indicator that the plant may not live to reproduce, somethings not right and we better find some way to pass on these genes now. the sativas normal environment is perfect for such a back up plan.

srry.... i didnt say it flat out. the plant b went hermie as a means of continuing its genetic line. after 12 weeks in bud it didnt find a date so it did the job it self. i think its important to understand indica or sativa when a plant goes hermie its not stress that does it.... stress is merely the indicator that the plant may not live to reproduce, somethings not right and we better find some way to pass on these genes now. the sativas normal environment is perfect for such a back up plan.

Ok so you're implying that because the plant didn't get pollenated by another plant that somehow, without a nervous system and a brain, it decided to pollenate itsself without any other type of stress affecting that response?

So what you're suggesting is that the hermaphroditic hormone gene is only induced in lonely Sativas ?

dry.gif

Well maybe you can explain all the female Sativa plants that I have had in bloom all the way through a good 14 weeks, sometimes even 16 weeks, that never saw a single male, definitely weren't pollenated and didn't turn hermaphroditic...

And also explain how all the other plants in everyone elses bloom phase room will bloom perfectly normal without being near any males or without being pollenated and won't turn hermaphroditic.

I think the logic behind this theory is flawed, beyond all reasonable doubt...

Hermaphroditism has been studied many times over brotha. The basics of it are understood. Certain aspects of plant sensitivity to different environmental stressors isn't quite clear, as I said before, but for the most part hermaphroditism is not a mystery... And Cannabis isn't the only plant which exhibits this genetic trait. The long post I made on this subject is not just my opinion GW.

Can we agree on what we are disagreeing on?

I had a fem White Widow seed (a bonus seed actually) that had clear balls and hairs 15 days into flower. There was no abnormal stress on this plant whatsoever. This is a clear cut hermie. The reason, I must likely suspect, is a lazy breeder. He or she chose a strain/plant that had the most pronounced hermie tendencies and made their seeds from it.

On the other hand, I have an Afghan that I have been cloning for over a year. Four out of five plants will develop very small "male bananas" around week seven (they get harvested at week eight). If I don't pluck them or were to let the plant go a few extra weeks, it would most likely pollinate itself. You could call this a hermie tendency, but I see it as a far cry from the first example. It is Afghan and nearly pure Indica.

Ganja - think of this in terms of evolution. Plants that respond to changes in the weather by reproducing themselves are going to have a much higher rate of survival than plants that are on a fixed schedule. The whole point of the lengthy response was that Indicas have evolved to respond to light and temperature changes, whereas, Sativas have not. In other words, try growing a dominant Sativa outdoors in Michigan and see how well it finishes in November.

Ok can u provide a link...i would love to read this.

It would be my pleasure!

http://en.wikipedia....Plant_sexuality

Start reading...

While it doesn't explicitly discuss Cannabis and/or hermaphroditism it would be a good place for you to start...

It's pretty sad that I had to do a simple google search for you.

Sometimes it's best to read first and disagreed later...

Can we agree on what we are disagreeing on?

I had a fem White Widow seed (a bonus seed actually) that had clear balls and hairs 15 days into flower. There was no abnormal stress on this plant whatsoever. This is a clear cut hermie. The reason, I must likely suspect, is a lazy breeder. He or she chose a strain/plant that had the most pronounced hermie tendencies and made their seeds from it.

On the other hand, I have an Afghan that I have been cloning for over a year. Four out of five plants will develop very small "male bananas" around week seven (they get harvested at week eight). If I don't pluck them or were to let the plant go a few extra weeks, it would most likely pollinate itself. You could call this a hermie tendency, but I see it as a far cry from the first example. It is Afghan and nearly pure Indica.

Ganja - think of this in terms of evolution. Plants that respond to changes in the weather by reproducing themselves are going to have a much higher rate of survival than plants that are on a fixed schedule. The whole point of the lengthy response was that Indicas have evolved to respond to light and temperature changes, whereas, Sativas have not. In other words, try growing a dominant Sativa outdoors in Michigan and see how well it finishes in November.

things in your closet/grow room are not the same as nature.You do realize in nature that afgahn may never see week 8, or the couple more to produce viable seed. ak 47 does just fine for me out doors, has for darn near a decade. You think sativas dont respond to light? do you think they auto flower? or do they use a watch to know when to flower. So many of the stress factors that can cause it, dont exist in nature. There are no light leaks in the mnts of afgahn. Its more than likely week 8 9 10 ..... would have long since been a frosty death..... all of the probs i can point out with the indica theory do not exist with the sativa.... she is still the only on with time to self fertilize in nature.

It would be my pleasure!

http://en.wikipedia....Plant_sexuality

Start reading...

While it doesn't explicitly discuss Cannabis and/or hermaphroditism it would be a good place for you to start...

It's pretty sad that I had to do a simple google search for you.

Sometimes it's best to read first and disagreed later...

I know its fun to pretend your the ganja guru but im not falling for it....can you find a link on the plant we are discussing....? See ive read my ideas before, not something I came up with, just something that makes sense. I dont want to re-read everything i have. If you know dif show me. You didnt have to do a simple google search i already did that and found the info to be wanting....

things in your closet/grow room are not the same as nature.You do realize in nature that afgahn may never see week 8, or the couple more to produce viable seed. ak 47 does just fine for me out doors, has for darn near a decade. You think sativas dont respond to light? do you think they auto flower? or do they use a watch to know when to flower. So many of the stress factors that can cause it, dont exist in nature. There are no light leaks in the mnts of afgahn. Its more than likely week 8 9 10 ..... would have long since been a frosty death..... all of the probs i can point out with the indica theory do not exist with the sativa.... she is still the only on with time to self fertilize in nature.

I wasn't going to reply at all, but I woke up this morning and said, meh, what the hell, why not?

I've never, not once, out of the hundreds of feminized Sativa plants I've grown, had one go hermaphroditic on me.

And the few hermaphrodites that I actually have encountered were of Indica strain.

You're purposing your own theories here. Which is very respectable, however, there is no scientific information for your statements to fall back on, at all.

I have provided you with a source of vastly detailed information on plant reproduction science. I'm not sure if you read it or not, or if you're just reluctant to accept it. However, there is in fact a lot of plant science information that sometimes you can't just search for and find on the internet. Sometimes you have to grab a book. One of the main reasons I can't just post a link to the information that would set this straight is because it's in books that I have obtained by going to school. Like I said before, the link I provided you with is an excellent start. Wikipedia provides all the necessary information of thier sources. Maybe you should go buy some plant science books?

Hermaphroditism is present in almost ALL flowering plants. Flowers such as Roses, Daisys and the like, are hermaphrodites. Cannabis is an annual angiospermae. It's a simple organism and is in many ways, no different from other angiosperms. Many of the same hormonal responses can be easily explained, such as hermaphroditism. Certain things follow suit with these types of organisms and you have to learn how to make the connections between the organisms when this kind of detailed information is not explicitly available for the specific species you're studying.

You're going to extremes with the "they'll be frozen over before they get a chance" balogna. Some of these strains are very sensitive man. In some instances, a 5 degree drop in temperature in early or mid-bloom can trigger the hermaphroditic hormone. And the fact of the matter is, you and I have no idea WHAT each strain is sensitive to. To think that only Sativas turn hermaphroditic and they only do it because they grow longer than normal and get lonely, is well, preposterous for lack of a better term...

Sativas DO respond to light changes. They also respond to temperature changes. However, they aren't as sensitive to these elemental changes as Indica strains are. If you object to that FACT then my friend, you truly are off on a vigilant witch hunt of falsified information.

I have been growing Sativas for a very long time. Every crop I've grown has had at the very least two Sativas in the mix. I know thier tendancies very well. As I stated before, I have never had any of my Sativas turn hermaphroditic. Many of them have been left to bloom for longer than 14 weeks! On average, my Nevilles Haze goes to about 16.5 weeks before it gets harvested. I have many other Sativa strains. Some of which are LANDRACE Sativas that have no crosses in them at all. So they are almost pure Sativa. Strains such as Hawaiian Kona, Malawi Red and a few others. I literally traveled to the locations where these plants grow wild and constantly inbreed. Never had a hermaphrodite pop up out of alllll the Sativa genetics I have ever cultivated. But of the Indica strains I have grown, indeed, I have had a couple. My very first hermaphrodite was an almost pure indica Big Bang REGULAR seed. It was not feminized.

Now I'm not saying that Sativas aren't able to express the hermaphrodite gene. I'm simply saying that they are less sensitive to seasonal changes because the environment they are subject to is usually very stable, so the hermaphroditic trait is basically a recessive trait in Sativas. With indica strains, the environment they are subject to is much more unstable and volatile, thus the hermaphrodite gene tends to be more dominant in Indica strains. This is also true in other organisms of similar nature.

I don't know, call me crazy, but it seems to me that the scientific facts and theories support my experience with hermaphroditic genes.

If you do some more reading about hermaphroditic plant genes you'll understand my perspective a little better. Now if you go off reading forums and other peoples OPINIONS to draw your own conclusion, well obviously you're going to support your own theory. Which is respectable, however far from the truth it may be...

I have laid the facts out, you expressed your opinion, those who read this information can also draw thier own conclusions but at least they will have a glimpse into the factual aspect of the genetic trait.

At any rate, I'm done on the merry go round. Again, no harm done, just a friendly debate. We may never agree on this but I don't take it personal and I hope you dont either.

It's FRIED DAY! Smoke session 4:20, THATS WHAT'S UP!

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have produced my first hermie. I knew it was going to be because of the mutated leaf growth I seen. It was my largest plant so I didn't pull it.

It had white pistils with NO Pods at 2-3 weeks.Then at week 5 I found just a few pods that opened just were the leafs were mutated near the bottom.

Now my hermie was a Indica strain and ended up changing back to female after the new normal leafs formed. No seeds were found in the top colas were the leafs were normal. Has anyone seen weird leaf growths on Hermies? Also should I keep the beans or pitch them?

Whatever the case may be... The Hermie pods only produced on the nodes that the Mutant leafs were attached. After that it grew normal (strange)..

I've seen Hermies before and they normally take over most of the plant.Unless you find and pluck all of the pods in time (Mission Impossible) :gym: All you get are pods and seed after seed after seed.

One of my good friends this year bought 2 clones & planted them outside. They both grew to be 6 foot giant Hermies. The year before he failed to identify the males in time and produced all seed!!! Needless to say, he gave up after this year and found himself a caregiver. I call him Tranny Danny :lol::thumbsd:

Archived