Ccw Laws

sfldg

I had an issue where the police came to my house and ran me and I thought nothing of telling them about my CPL since it's MY house...not telling them that got me cuff'd and more or less yelled at...nothing came from it(they were on a b/s complaint anyway) other than 2 pissed cops that kept threatning to REVOKE my license...no joke! true story!(I was more than polite for that matter!)...Gun forums are riddled w/people with similiar instances in MI(waited to state it then got hassled while not carrying)...

CPL PULLED OVER...Page 2 "requirements when stopped"...straight from mi.gov!!!...dosen't say if your not carrying though like stated above but they are going to figure out that you could be and assume you are so why not tell them, seems more responsible to me. This is something they have to come to terms with so it's not likely to end up with a bam and a dead driver like also stated above.

Those cops the cuffed you are full of bunny muffin. I'm not even sure they would have a case if you were packing and did not tell them. In your home you can conceal a weapon without a CPL license as long as you are otherwise legal to posses a firearm. A buddy of mine who owns a gun shop was harassed by the cops one day. He had his CPL and a gun unloaded in the trunk of his car. He did not tell the cops about either. They arrested him and the PA charged him. The judge threw it out because he said the gun would have been legal without a CPL so you can't say that something that is legal is now illegal because the person posses a CPL that expands their rights.

There is no requirement to notify if you are not packing. The quick reference card you pointed to says "When stopped by police, a person with a CPL must immediately disclose that they are carrying a pistol concealed." The requirement is to disclose you are carrying a concealed weapon not that you are a CPL holder.

I want to be clear you might as well tell them as they will find out anyway. But if like you someone is not packing and you forget to tell them you have a CPL there is no violation.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved here recently form Florida and have what is called down there a CCW license. Florida has done it right. The police have no way of knowing you are a CCW license holder and they shouldn't. Law makers there were smart. A LEO pulling you over will not know by running your plate and you as a license holder are NOT required by Florida law to inform LEO that you are carrying. In fact, if you are involved in an incident where LEO needs to verify you are carrying, the ONLY way they can (EDIT: other than your CCW permit card) is contact the Florida Department of Agriculture who is the authoritive and licensing agency. Lawmakers hold responsible citizens - responsible, the way it SHOULD be.

I'm a Michigan resident, and although I hold a Florida CCW I can LEGALLY carry here in Michigan. Michigan has reciprocity with Florida and Florida law states that a Florida NON-resident CAN hold a Florida CCW.

Anyone interested can Google Florida CCW stats. Very interesting how you put guns in the hands of responsible citizens and crime actually DECREASES.

Michigan seems to be a police state, that's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Is there any substantial info on carrying both CPL and meds? I am NOT mixing the two.

But with all the people needing to use patient to patient transfer means to acquire their meds (just starting, or not able to grow, no/terrible caregiver etc.), the opportunity to be...taken advantage of...entering or leaving a co-op, or a parking lot type meet, seems to be a potential issue. Especially in certain areas.

I was told by someone (from his lawyer, by proxy, for what that is worth), who is carrying both, that "since medical marijuana is legal here, it is exempt from the state laws regarding carry a concealed pistol/firearm. It does remain, illegal on a federal level, however, the local and state police cannot enforce those federal laws.

It seems to make sense, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Join a Compassion Club and avoid the possibility of being in a bad situation where lethal force may be needed. And I will give up cannabis before I will give up my guns!

...I will give up cannabis before I will give up my guns!

well said...it's are god given constitutional right from day 1....marijuana is a little diff. story....

Join a Compassion Club and avoid the possibility of being in a bad situation where lethal force may be needed...

And get robbed on the way to your car....Compassion clubs are MUCH safer, agreed...BUT crime happens EVERYWHERE at ANY time. No stopping that, all you can do is be prepared...my only point, crime has no boundaries.

420Atheist-Don't know if it makes a diff. but i was standing outside on MY property when that went down(didn't think that mattered but I'm no pro w/the law)

Duplicity-Jusst want to clarify for people that having a Florida CCW still means MICHIGAN law applies 100% in MICHIGAN...So you'd have to inform MI officers if carrying unlike if you were in FL....just wanted to clarify if people hadn't assumed already=)

420Atheist-Don't know if it makes a diff. but i was standing outside on MY property when that went down(didn't think that mattered but I'm no pro w/the law)

Nope it does not matter. If you are legal to own the gun you have every right to conceal it anywhere on your own property. I would have begged that cop to arrest me for that. You would have a court room full of NRA lawyers helping you on that lawsuit.

Michigan is a open carry state. If you get pulled over when you have your gun you do have to tell them. By law if you dont have your gun then you don't need to tell them.

The thing is anytime i get pulled over, they know I have a CPL, so why not tell them if im packing or not?

And to be honest with you 99% of the time when i tell LEO that im not even packing but i have my CPL... they let me go.

One kind gesture for another.

• 2 weeks later...

Michigan is a open carry state. If you get pulled over when you have your gun you do have to tell them.

MI is indeed an open carry state and I'd encourage using that right!...BUT, carrying a loaded firearm in a car in MI is considered concealed carry requiring a CPL/CCW....Just wanted to clarify because some states allow open carry in cars w/out a permit as long as the firearm is visible(ie. on the dashboard or so forth).

Happy Holidays!

Archived