Seeds Not Consistant

420Atheist

I bought some seeds from Nirvana. They are supposed to be Raspberry Cough. I realize this is supposed to be mostly Staiva. However of the 9 plants 7 are very Staiva and two are so Indica they don't look like they have any Staiva. Is it normal to see such a variation or did a couple of seeds of another genetic fall into my pack?

Were they feminized?

If so, then they all should have been pretty consistent. If they were regulars then that is perfectly normal.

feminized seeds can also have lots of mutations due to the fact that the Genes and allelles can be locked up and skip infrequently. meaning that the plants themselves can have retardation or mutations. For example 5 leaves out of a leave that normally only has 3, or say 9 out of one that have seven. etc, etc.

feminized seeds can be hit and miss. I only have 2 of them in my garden. Once you learn wha tthey want you just have to keep them fairly ambient and happy. If you stress a fem seeds it can herm quikcer than you can spell hermie.

I said pretty consistent. It depends on the quality of the feminizing process, which varies from company to company. My experience with quality breeders is about a 90-95% rate of consistency with no herms ever. Nine out of ten or more, look just like clones growing next to each other.

Those companies that offer the public inferior genetics don't last long and go under quickly due to this great new thing called the Internet, and people like us who let the wide world know of the results we achieve with them. Results are are all that count, and speak for themselves.

You are correct in the fact that fems can vary, herm, and wig out under inconsistent environmental conditions, but that is usually from the lesser quality breeders. The feminized seeds are improving every year, just as technology does, and are a new generation compared to the ones they were offering a few years ago. I would not have touched them four or five years back, but have since changed my mind with a few proven, trusted breeders.

There is nothing like growing out a pack of regular seeds and finding that perfect plant you've been waiting your whole life for, but in today's world with plant counts being an issue, stable feminized seeds are a must for certain patients and caregivers who are dealing with that issue. Go with what your eyes tell you, do your research, and don't listen to someone who just tells you something.

I am in no way referring to you Dave when I just said that. Your information is very good.

Yeah, Raspberry cough is a Nirvana feminized only "F1".

Real F1's shouldn't show very much variance.

Nirvana seeds have never been known for their consistency though, many people believe most Nirvana strains are F2's or knock offs. I think it's true when it comes to his knock off lines. His original lines are usually the ones to go for.

I don't know squat about Mau's (Nirvana's Breeder) feminizing techniques but I don't think I would ever buy feminized seeds from him. I wouldn't but feminized seeds from anybody though.

Now that we live in a "legal" state, there are so many opportunities to score the real clone, why buy feminized beans of that clone when you can probably get the real deal?

I'm not really putting down anybody who uses feminized beans, just think there are better options.

They could be phenotypic variations

I guess that is possible. I had not seen that much variation in my past work with the plant but that was 20 years ago. But just the fact that you can mix Sativa and Indica makes them different. Most organisms of different species can't produce offspring. It does happen but not often. Though most of my reading has been in the animal world and not plants so maybe it is more common that shared genus but different species can produce offspring.

I guess that is possible. I had not seen that much variation in my past work with the plant but that was 20 years ago. But just the fact that you can mix Sativa and Indica makes them different. Most organisms of different species can't produce offspring. It does happen but not often. Though most of my reading has been in the animal world and not plants so maybe it is more common that shared genus but different species can produce offspring.

Just for the record Colombian Gold was like 25-30% indica so they had crosses many yrs ago.

It was my understanding that indica and sativa are sub-species of the same species but I could be wrong.

You are basically right. To the best of my knowledge w/o looking it up, the type specimen would be Cannabis Sativa "Sativa". The subspecies are Cannabis Sativa "Indica", Cannabis Sativa "Ruderalis", and the sometime accepted Cannabis Sativa "Afghanica" which is what most Indica's actually would fall under if Afghanica is finally accepted by the scientific community

As far as I know Nirvana strains are mostly knock offs. You will get a lot of variation in second and third generation crossings. Hence getting multiple packs, you will find a keeper mother.

Also a S1 can't be a F1 at the same time. Same reason that once you do a backcross the filial process stops.

Who's strains do you like?

It was my understanding that indica and sativa are sub-species of the same species but I could be wrong.

The hierarchy of biological classifications goes:

Life

domain

kingdom

phylum

class

order

family

genus

species

The Genus for marijuana is cannabis and the species is indica, sativa, or ruderalis.

The taxonomy section of the wikipedia page is pretty interesting. I have read mostly about taxonomy and phylogeny in the animal kingdom as it pertains to evolution but this is good stuff.

Cannabis wiki page

Archived