Drug Busts..

This was just a story to generate ratings and to amplify the prohibitionists side of things. It is just trumpeting how terrible things have gotten, without giving any details of any of the searches, arrests, or seizures; just numbers of plants and number of arrests.... They also include a wild guess on the street value of the plants...of just over $100 each, tell me where the journalism is.

Pure propaganda.

This was just a story to generate ratings and to amplify the prohibitionists side of things. It is just trumpeting how terrible things have gotten, without giving any details of any of the searches, arrests, or seizures; just numbers of plants and number of arrests.... They also include a wild guess on the street value of the plants...of just over $100 each, tell me where the journalism is.

Pure propaganda.

That is all the media does anymore is propaganda. I had read another article yesterday about it where it stated that this perticular baynet sweep was all outside grows and none involved any medical marijuana whatsoever. No patients and no caregivers claims.

Here i found it

outdoor grows

srv0000009405697.jpg

Click to enlarge

srv0000009405697.jpg

AUBURN HILLS — Twelve marijuana plants have been seized from the back yard of an Auburn Hills residence, and the owner may face criminal charges.

Auburn Hills police announced the seizure Wednesday, a day after a search warrant was executed at the home in the 3000 block of Caroline Street.

An anonymous tip led police to the residence, where they found 12 large marijuana plants growing outside.

"Our concern is the plants were not in a secured, locked facility," said Auburn Hills Police Department Lt. Casimir Miarka.

Mark Rowe, the owner of the plants, does have a valid medical marijuana card, allowing him to keep 12 marijuana plants, but the manner in which they were secured was not legal, Miarka said.

"They must be in an enclosed, locked facility," he said. "These are in his back yard, located less than 1,000 feet away from an elementary school."

Miarka said one-third of the back yard was secured by a 4-foot-tall chain link fence, which could permit access to the plants — most of which were between 5 and 7 feet tall.

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2010/09/16/news/srv0000009405697.txt

I hate to see anyone charged for growing marijuana! However, it is nice to see LEO/DEA do there jobs. And not going after legal patients & caregivers. It is time they start doing there Jobs. I know real drug dealers have guns, lookouts and dogs which makes it harder to do there jobs. Its time they man up and stop there raids on legal patients & caregivers. Legal patients & caregivers are not drug dealers!!! There are easy to screw with because legal patients & caregivers don’t shoot back. It is olny a chicken sh1t cop that dose this.

Guest drcanna-pest

srv0000009405697.jpg

Click to enlarge

srv0000009405697.jpg

AUBURN HILLS — Twelve marijuana plants have been seized from the back yard of an Auburn Hills residence, and the owner may face criminal charges.

Auburn Hills police announced the seizure Wednesday, a day after a search warrant was executed at the home in the 3000 block of Caroline Street.

An anonymous tip led police to the residence, where they found 12 large marijuana plants growing outside.

"Our concern is the plants were not in a secured, locked facility," said Auburn Hills Police Department Lt. Casimir Miarka.

Mark Rowe, the owner of the plants, does have a valid medical marijuana card, allowing him to keep 12 marijuana plants, but the manner in which they were secured was not legal, Miarka said.

"They must be in an enclosed, locked facility," he said. "These are in his back yard, located less than 1,000 feet away from an elementary school."

Miarka said one-third of the back yard was secured by a 4-foot-tall chain link fence, which could permit access to the plants — most of which were between 5 and 7 feet tall.

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2010/09/16/news/srv0000009405697.txt

i can see how he wants to maximize his crop...but dang. he cleary went outside of the law. if you want to grow outside to it guerilla style. myself...since MI decided to give medicinal cannabis a shot...I prefer to stay legal and enjoy my rights. if we follow the law I don't see what there is to be worried about. its all the people growing outside or with too many plants. dumb...now he will never be able to grow in Michigan!

i can see how he wants to maximize his crop...but dang. he cleary went outside of the law. if you want to grow outside to it guerilla style. myself...since MI decided to give medicinal cannabis a shot...I prefer to stay legal and enjoy my rights. if we follow the law I don't see what there is to be worried about. its all the people growing outside or with too many plants. dumb...now he will never be able to grow in Michigan!

I read an article that suggested that the Auburn Hills guy had his property completely fenced in and locked, that the fences were destroyed as part of the bust.

Remember we are in the heat of an election cycle, and various prosecutors, sheriffs and city officials are trying to portray they are tough on crime. They are going to use any excuse to bust anybody they can, because by the time the matter is sorted out, the elections will be over.

There is no knowing what numbers are coming from what busts or from which arrests, just that those are the totals they are putting out. If you think they aren't targeting patients and caregivers, that are in compliance with the law, just take a look around the victims of the system section of this board...

Guest drcanna-pest

I read an article that suggested that the Auburn Hills guy had his property completely fenced in and locked, that the fences were destroyed as part of the bust.

Remember we are in the heat of an election cycle, and various prosecutors, sheriffs and city officials are trying to portray they are tough on crime. They are going to use any excuse to bust anybody they can, because by the time the matter is sorted out, the elections will be over.

There is no knowing what numbers are coming from what busts or from which arrests, just that those are the totals they are putting out. If you think they aren't targeting patients and caregivers, that are in compliance with the law, just take a look around the victims of the system section of this board...

each story has a slightly gray area issue coming here. so what if his fenced was locked? we still cannot grow outside in plain view. are the pics from above that bobandtorey posted from the actual site or just an idea of what it looked like. i dont know the whole story here and rarely do. But the folks i know personally that have been charged were outside of the law. they didn't follow the rules. do you really think this guy was completely innocent? im sure there was something there that wasn't right. yea yea elections...but we are a democratic state and even more so on the east side of the state so being a tough politician on marijuana won't win votes....

You don't think that the intent of the law, would suggest that instead of seizing the plants and charging the man, that a simple you need to move these plants to be in compliance with the law (if that is their position) would have been the better route? This was done for headlines, and to suggest that medical marijuana patients (which this guy is) are violating the law and flaunting their status.

You don't think there is a coincidence between the amount of raids, news stories, and the primaries being over?

Look I have no problem with arresting criminals and going after the obvious illegal grows (i.e. some 400 plant guerrilla grow). I am just tired of the media and the prohibitionists trying to tie those to medical marijuana grows, and hyping the increase in crime surrounding marijuana. The increase in crime is being created by LEO and over zealous prosecutors busting anything that moves and letting the courts sort it out.

Guest drcanna-pest

You don't think that the intent of the law, would suggest that instead of seizing the plants and charging the man, that a simple you need to move these plants to be in compliance with the law (if that is their position) would have been the better route? This was done for headlines, and to suggest that medical marijuana patients (which this guy is) are violating the law and flaunting their status.

You don't think there is a coincidence between the amount of raids, news stories, and the primaries being over?

Look I have no problem with arresting criminals and going after the obvious illegal grows (i.e. some 400 plant guerrilla grow). I am just tired of the media and the prohibitionists trying to tie those to medical marijuana grows, and hyping the increase in crime surrounding marijuana. The increase in crime is being created by LEO and over zealous prosecutors busting anything that moves and letting the courts sort it out.

i understand your issue. but thats not the way the law works. we dont get a second chance to just change a few things around and call it good. i wish it was that way...but it isn't.

if that pic was the true photo than he was trying to grow 12ft plants to get a pound out of each. that is a blatant disregard for the law to me...

i understand your issue. but thats not the way the law works. we dont get a second chance to just change a few things around and call it good. i wish it was that way...but it isn't.

if that pic was the true photo than he was trying to grow 12ft plants to get a pound out of each. that is a blatant disregard for the law to me...

Dude, just so you know, we have a thing called the US Constitution that is supposed to guarantee your individual human rights. Our law enforcement and judges and leos and lawmakers are totally breaking their oaths to uphold your individual human rights on a regular basis. Blatant disregard of the law is right, but not by an individual, but by our government.

12 foot plants? How much longer do you think those plants were going to be growing outside? They are only 5-7 foot tall now....

The police complaint was that one side of the yard only had a 4 foot chain link fence on it, which would allow others easier access to the yard and plants.

Using your logic we should start arresting folks that leave their keys in their cars, or front doors unlocked, because it is encouraging thieves to take their stuff and thus are accessories to the crime?

Finally, the entire concept of guilty until proven innocent is taking over way to much thinking in this country. Under the MMMA the presumption is supposed to be in favor of patients and caregivers, not LEO.

If I remember correctly, someone on this forum built a chain link box around his outdoor grow (essentially a dog kennel style enclosure) and showed it to his local LEO, who signed off on it. If I recall, this was somewhere up north where he may have had some acreage, not a backyard in a metro area.

It really is a shame how our law is written. I just got back from tending my friend's medical grow in California, where he has 25 lovely bushes surrounding his pool. If only we could roll like this:

post-9834-045827500 1284669137_thumb.jpg

well it was from the news paper i cut and pasted it

each story has a slightly gray area issue coming here. so what if his fenced was locked? we still cannot grow outside in plain view. are the pics from above that bobandtorey posted from the actual site or just an idea of what it looked like. i dont know the whole story here and rarely do. But the folks i know personally that have been charged were outside of the law. they didn't follow the rules. do you really think this guy was completely innocent? im sure there was something there that wasn't right. yea yea elections...but we are a democratic state and even more so on the east side of the state so being a tough politician on marijuana won't win votes....

Please don't take away my Rights. Show Me the Law where this is written, Nevermind there is no such Law.

Educate

The police greatly reduced this patients ability to ever safely grow his medicine.

The information that this was a medical marijuana patient is confidential. Violation of the confidentiality section of the MMA is supposed to result in the arrest of the government employee.

But Brother, they are only going after criminals. :blink:

I completely agree with you on this one. They have just put this man in one hell of a position, he now has a public record of him being arrested on drug charges, his home is now known by anybody with a computer, television, or newspaper, and the thieves (not the LEO ones) all know that he will at the very least have meds in his home.

These glory seeking newshounds are putting patients at risk, by denying them their meds and making them the targets of would be thugs. A complete violation of a patient's right to privacy, and a clear violation of the law.

But Brother, they are only going after criminals. :blink:

I completely agree with you on this one. They have just put this man in one hell of a position, he now has a public record of him being arrested on drug charges, his home is now known by anybody with a computer, television, or newspaper, and the thieves (not the LEO ones) all know that he will at the very least have meds in his home.

These glory seeking newshounds are putting patients at risk, by denying them their meds and making them the targets of would be thugs. A complete violation of a patient's right to privacy, and a clear violation of the law.

Even if he is guilty, he still has the protections of the law.

Even if he is guilty, he still has the protections of the law.

I concur. The problem is there is no way for us, the cops, or anybody else to even consider this man "guilty" of anything, at least not until after a trial.

I believe in all of the protections of the law, including a presumption of innocence. ;)

Photos of unsecured grow in Auburn Hills

1. Not secure and enclosed. Enclosed means on all sides, including the top (kids jump fences you know)

2. Didn't even bother to post "Restricted Area By State Law" signs - warning LEO to contact MDCH before proceeding.

- that sign has a place to put your card #, along with the MDCH phone number - easy to call and verify if you are not around.

I have seen several outdoor grows this year. That grow is close to harvest and should be done soon - they will not get more than 6-7ft.

AND - the MMMP just says 12 plants - they CAN be 16' tall each if you wanted.

The patient lost his meds, but not his rights to grow. If he was concerned about his neighbors finding out, he should not have grown outside eh?

-DN

So he is now charged - as he did not SECURE his outdoor grow

"

"If he had the plants growing inside his house and secure, we wouldn't be having this conversation because he does have a card," Miarka said. "But I don't think out in the open qualifies under the law."

Miarka said some plants were more than six feet tall.

Police said under Michigan Department of Community Health administration rules, a qualifying patient can keep 12 plants in an enclosed, locked facility, defined as a "closet, room, or other enclosed area equipped with locks or other security devices that permit access only by a registered primary caregiver or registered qualifying patient."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100916/METRO02/9160476/1361/Medical-marijuana-user-charged-with-growing-plants-in-yard#ixzz0zk2Y2iyN

Gee - four foot high fences, what was his idea of "secure"?

-DN

Archived