Hot Grow Room

motownbass

I have had a hard time keeping my basement room cooled. I can not vent the hot air outside e.g. neighbor too close to basement window, no clearence to vent through furnace (which I was told not to do). I actually had a card holder that I contacted and said he could help me. He had me spend $400 more for intake/exaust venting w/fan, ducting, parabolic reflector (room is 7' wide x 8' long and 7' tall), timer, and a few other little itmes. I definately have more ventilation, but I still have to keep the door open to keep it at 79 (flowering now)

Well it found that I got the wrong timer, for one thing. He said I could get this timer that you can set one button for the on time, and another button sets the off time from 1 up to 60 minutes for $40. He also said that I need a little portable air conditioner and I could get one for under 150 bucks. So I ventured out once more (plus I have had been ill lately from multiple upper respiratory infection) and found the timer at hydrogrow for 84.95. I can not find a smaller good quality (used or not) ac for under $250.

I am underemployed too...............I can not afford these items right now unless anyone can help me.....I also learned about a perpetual garden, and after this grow (3 weeks) I am going to be in need of two clones in new soil, not used. This fella is tellling me that he has some apollo clones for $20. He also told me that he re-uses his dirt, he keeps it outside on a tarpolin. Then he changed his story and said that no I heard him wrong, and uses that dirt for his grow????? And that he only uses miracle grow soil when he transfers them from the cloner. Yuck!

Plus!! He was supposed to get ahold of me today to get this up and running right. Have'nt heard anything yet, and I called him once and sent him a message a couple of hours later. No message. :growl: What should I do??

So you have a room, inside your basement as your grow space?

If that is the case, I'd run the exhaust out of the room into the rest of the basement and have your intakes pull air in from outside. The temps should be more then cool enough outside to keep your room temps under control.

Having sealed lights would improve your situation A LOT!

You can pick up a very nice digital timer, that is able to be programmed for 7 days a week on and off, for around $20.

Can you tell me what lights you are running and what your ventilation is? (size of fans, what is running where etc?)

Can you tell me what lights you are running and what your ventilation is? (size of fans, what is running where etc?)

I think the issue is the lights are using a parabolic reflector, not a 'sealed' aircooled reflector. The parabolic reflector really needs high ceiling spaces to vent its heat. In a confined space, the heat cannot escape the room fast enough.

With an aircooled reflector (about $130) you can vent the heat from the lights directly out of the room - my system with TWO 600watt lights only raises the room temp .5 degree above ambient temp. I am willing to bet that if you vent your lights - it will kill the majority of your heat.

Also, its your INTAKE air that needs to be cooled, not the exaust. So despite your nearby neighbor, you can INTAKE air from outside with out stinkin up da 'hood. A cooler intake air will help cool everything down.

Dimmable ballast - these are sweet - you can dial down the lumens and in effect, the heat on very hot days.

Your airconditioner - if its in the grow room - it puts out more heat than it cools, so move the A/C out of the grow room, and keep in the basement. You should try working on bringing in fresh air, instead of circulating air to be cooled. Make sure the fresh air intake has a HEPA filter on it - to stop bugs and mildew/mold spores.

Good luck!

-DN

I have had a hard time keeping my basement room cooled. I can not vent the hot air outside e.g. neighbor too close to basement window, no clearence to vent through furnace (which I was told not to do). I actually had a card holder that I contacted and said he could help me. He had me spend $400 more for intake/exaust venting w/fan, ducting, parabolic reflector (room is 7' wide x 8' long and 7' tall), timer, and a few other little itmes. I definately have more ventilation, but I still have to keep the door open to keep it at 79 (flowering now)

Well it found that I got the wrong timer, for one thing. He said I could get this timer that you can set one button for the on time, and another button sets the off time from 1 up to 60 minutes for $40. He also said that I need a little portable air conditioner and I could get one for under 150 bucks. So I ventured out once more (plus I have had been ill lately from multiple upper respiratory infection) and found the timer at hydrogrow for 84.95. I can not find a smaller good quality (used or not) ac for under $250.

I am underemployed too...............I can not afford these items right now unless anyone can help me.....I also learned about a perpetual garden, and after this grow (3 weeks) I am going to be in need of two clones in new soil, not used. This fella is tellling me that he has some apollo clones for $20. He also told me that he re-uses his dirt, he keeps it outside on a tarpolin. Then he changed his story and said that no I heard him wrong, and uses that dirt for his grow????? And that he only uses miracle grow soil when he transfers them from the cloner. Yuck!

Plus!! He was supposed to get ahold of me today to get this up and running right. Have'nt heard anything yet, and I called him once and sent him a message a couple of hours later. No message. :growl: What should I do??

You need a new caregiver. I can provide consulting services and some labor. I have worked with all income levels - including NO income!

It sounds like you are getting close to getting it right - but this is still a critcal time to screw things up!

-DN

There has to be a Stack in the basement that might help. Thats a lot of money to try with no results.. I wish I could use my basement. If you need help pm me. You already spent the money. It sounds like setup issue to me unless its smell. I also know where to get the best Clone's. Don't worry it will get fixed.

I think the issue is the lights are using a parabolic reflector, not a 'sealed' aircooled reflector. The parabolic reflector really needs high ceiling spaces to vent its heat. In a confined space, the heat cannot escape the room fast enough.

With an aircooled reflector (about $130) you can vent the heat from the lights directly out of the room - my system with TWO 600watt lights only raises the room temp .5 degree above ambient temp. I am willing to bet that if you vent your lights - it will kill the majority of your heat.

Also, its your INTAKE air that needs to be cooled, not the exaust. So despite your nearby neighbor, you can INTAKE air from outside with out stinkin up da 'hood. A cooler intake air will help cool everything down.

Dimmable ballast - these are sweet - you can dial down the lumens and in effect, the heat on very hot days.

Your airconditioner - if its in the grow room - it puts out more heat than it cools, so move the A/C out of the grow room, and keep in the basement. You should try working on bringing in fresh air, instead of circulating air to be cooled. Make sure the fresh air intake has a HEPA filter on it - to stop bugs and mildew/mold spores.

Good luck!

-DN

I think that he was trying to achieve as much "usable" light as possible. I have the other hood, and it is a sealed glass air vented hood, and switching it out tomorrow.... Thanks, and no I do not have a portable ac, ask questions first before I go any further. Live and Learn, my Mom used to say over 50,000 years ago (I'm old) LOL!! But then in the summer when it's 91 outside, and pull it from outside,I will take duct off, slip a hottie's nylon over it, and suck in cool air from the central air, or somehow vent it in there from the ac somehow naaa, IDK! Take care....

During the hot days when the ambeient air is hot and humid - then you switch to A/C, dim the lights, or flip your light cycle to come on at night, and off during the day.

This year was so bad for humidity that I ran two A/Cs and a dehumidifier as I was in late flower. I don't think next year I will flower or even run the grow room during July and August - the worst months.

Why do they charge $300 an ounce? - The electric bill for two months - July and August was $750 - 2500+ KWH a month - yep. But I got a nice harvest :P

-DN

So you have a room, inside your basement as your grow space?

If that is the case, I'd run the exhaust out of the room into the rest of the basement and have your intakes pull air in from outside. The temps should be more then cool enough outside to keep your room temps under control.

You can pick up a very nice digital timer, that is able to be programmed for 7 days a week on and off, for around $20.

Thank you for your trying expertise LOL! I replaced the parabolic with my original cooled hood. I still have to open the door when it's 74 outside. I have central air but not running it. And actually they have a timer that you can set the "on time" bet 1min to 60 min. and the off time 1-10 also. I could do this, I could do that. I am getting different answers, because everyone has different growing ideas.And by far means, no one is wrong either! I believe it will be ok once the ground gets cooler, for my basement is partially finished, which holds more heat, than an unfinished basement.

Next grow I am also growing during night hours too. I have been growing during the day, and seemed to be more convenient to me. Thank you all for your ideas.

Thank you for your trying expertise LOL! I replaced the parabolic with my original cooled hood. I still have to open the door when it's 74 outside. I have central air but not running it. And actually they have a timer that you can set the "on time" bet 1min to 60 min. and the off time 1-10 also. I could do this, I could do that. I am getting different answers, because everyone has different growing ideas.And by far means, no one is wrong either! I believe it will be ok once the ground gets cooler, for my basement is partially finished, which holds more heat, than an unfinished basement.

Next grow I am also growing during night hours too. I have been growing during the day, and seemed to be more convenient to me. Thank you all for your ideas.

you'll need to connect the aircooled lights to a duct. If you are venting into the room, it raises the heat 8+ degrees..

-DN

hey soundless,i shut down for july and august,but thats not helping you,,you've got to tap into cooler air for the intake on the fans,you're room can't get any cooler than the air you intake,,you've got to get AC or away to cool the air...everyone keep an eye out for a good used AC for him...moving air across the plants helps them feel cooler...just wondering..whats the soil temp. at? it won't be long and you shouldn't have the problem if you can open a window...you could freeze a couple of milk jugs and put them in a cooler and then set your air intake hose hose in there so it draws air across them,,only thing i can think of...i hope you get a handle on it...zzb

There has to be a Stack in the basement that might help. Thats a lot of money to try with no results.. I wish I could use my basement. If you need help pm me. You already spent the money. It sounds like setup issue to me unless its smell. I also know where to get the best Clone's. Don't worry it will get fixed.

so nice to see you "paying it all forward" my friend!!

+rep to you. ;)

you'll need to connect the aircooled lights to a duct. If you are venting into the room, it raises the heat 8+ degrees..

-DN

Won't you still pick up heat in the room from the tops of the hood fixtures?

As for waiting for cooler weather don't forget that the heat is in the ground on all of your basement walls right now. Your basement won't start cooling off until December when heat comes out of the ground 3 feet down unless you bring in some cold air from the outside. December thru early June is a good time to keep a basement grow room cooler

Won't you still pick up heat in the room from the tops of the hood fixtures?

As for waiting for cooler weather don't forget that the heat is in the ground on all of your basement walls right now. Your basement won't start cooling off until December when heat comes out of the ground 3 feet down unless you bring in some cold air from the outside. December thru early June is a good time to keep a basement grow room cooler

The sealed hood still make a HUGE difference. Sealed hoods also allow you to get the light closer to the plants.

Nothing has been mentioned about odor control??

You have a carbon air filter, YES???

If not, ditch the silly timer you just speant 90$ on (get your money back) and get a carbon filter... (i have a tutorial here on how to build one, far cheaper than you could buy one)

Unless you are running CO2 there is NO reason why you shouldn't be CONSTANTLY venting...

What's the timer even FOR??

Do you have a wall in the flower room you could cut a larger hole in?

I run a window A/C unit in my flower room for cooling, does a good job, but you need to seperate the front from the back and you need a way to deal with the condensate drip (mines piped to a drain)

I have a 1000w in a 3x8 room and can hold any temp i like with a 150$ 5000btu window unit...(I also run a water cooled lamp, so i don't have NEARLY the heat load into the room as you though)

I know how it is to be unemployed, OVER 1.5yrs for me now, won't be long before my unemployment runs out... If i dont have something by then IM SCREWED...

Guest Mr_smith

For a cheap a/c unit, Craigslist is your friend :thumbsu:

Get a cheap donkey a/c and a cool tube, should be no problem.

What area do you live in? I'm willing to come help if its not forever away.

PM me if you want.

• 9 years later...

I have 4x8 tents in both bedrooms. In bloom with temps too high in low to mid 80’s. Installed window a/cos and rooms are freezing, but didn’t make much difference. I run my lights at night. Two 600w  HPS with air cooled reflectors, in line duct fans both sit on top of tent. One intake just blows air into the tent through ducting and the carbon filter is hanging with ducting from filter through both lights and out through exhaust fan and into bedroom. Another issue, why are both of my tents exhibiting positive pressure? They look like big balloons about to burst!

Archived