Pay $2,000 Fee To Sell Pot

EdwardGlen

Its a start

http://macombdaily.com/articles/2010/09/18/news/srv0000009422129.txt

By Michael P. McConnell, Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Owners of any new marijuana facilities that want to open in Ferndale will have to pay a $2,000 fee for their license and annual renewals.

The City Council enacted the licensing fee this week and officials said they did so to recover the costs associated with inspections and other duties city workers and police conduct for licensing.

Mayor Craig Covey said he has no problem charging the fee and said the council may hike the cost in future years.

"We can change the fee at any time," Covey said, "not to be punitive but to recoup our own costs."

Councilwoman Melanie Piani said that some communities charge up to $5,000 annually for licensing marijuana facilities.

"I think we are going to see other cities go to that range," she said.

Ferndale City Clerk Cherilynn Tallman suggested a $2,000 fee after reviewing the work different city departments do in processing documents and making inspections.

Tallman estimates city workers will have to spend about 32 hours on tasks to complete a marijuana facility license.

The fee is the highest the city charges for a license because it will require more staff time to administer, she said.

The city only has one medical marijuana business. Clinical Relief on Hilton began selling marijuana in June, but has not done so since some of its owners and employees were charged with illegal sales and growing of marijuana. The charges came after Oakland County Sheriff's deputies raided marijuana facilities and homes in Waterford, Lake Orion, Royal Oak, Ferndale and Macomb County last month. About 10 of the roughly 20 people charged in the multiple raids are due for a hearing Monday in Ferndale 43rd District Court.

City Manager Robert Bruner said Clinical Relief opened before the medical marijuana licensing fee was passed but will have to pay it now that the fee has been enacted by ordinance.

Owners of any new marijuana facilities that want to open in Ferndale will have to pay a $2,000 fee for their license and annual renewals.

The City Council enacted the licensing fee this week a.......

City Manager Robert Bruner said Clinical Relief opened before the medical marijuana licensing fee was passed but will have to pay it now that the fee has been enacted by ordinance.

What about a grandfather law to avoid the payment of the fee, at least for this year?

What about a grandfather law to avoid the payment of the fee, at least for this year?

I agree but you know that with the economy the way it is cities are going to get their share of the MM income. I'd rather see it this way than stealing from patients and caregivers in the guise of law enforcement during a raid.

stand in line for that money i think the legal fee's they have to pay now you get yours after that

i live by here and they are not even open any longer i go by all the time no one is their

Typical bureaucracy, regulate, tax, and fine them out of business. Capitalism...that word is meaningless these days. or at the very least, looked down on. Who do we think we are?, trying to make money and make a living for our families. Shame on us..........

stupid government a s s clowns...

OK is that just for dispensaries or for one man Cg Pt ops as well? Also will this 2 thousand prevent the dispensaries from further harassment or will the city now be taking money from them like the state did just so they can turn around and be raided and pay legal costs on top of that also?

The Feds. will Waite till he is on his feet and lots of money then they will come for the money and they will have the right address

The feds will know where dispensaries operating in the open are located with or without taxes to the local government.

I do think it is a valid question as to whether or not this will protect them from local harassment. My guess is it will because the local government will pressure LEO to leave this cash cow alone.

The feds will know where dispensaries operating in the open are located with or without taxes to the local government.

I do think it is a valid question as to whether or not this will protect them from local harassment. My guess is it will because the local government will pressure LEO to leave this cash cow alone.

you make a good point

Like "protection money"?<_<

Honestly considering they are operating a dispensary knowing they make a stupid amount of money off the misfortunes of other,(though it is for a great cause and worthy of doing and should be compensated ) as well as the fact that the average dispensary turns over approx. 250k-1.3mil ON THE BOOKS!!! depending on location and the ridiculousness of their prices.I would have to say even if the permit cost 5k so the hell what its worth it in the end as long as LEO abides and would stop the bs they have been pulling I don't see a real problem with the amount.

OH and also i agree that they should not have to pay the extra dough this year even though they could easily afford it. :beerhat: Also Obama had put out an order specifically to leave mmmp's alone through out the country unless they had undeniable proof of illegal activity.

But apparently even the prez has no pull or control over the D.E.A and other drug task forces.(WoW even they think hes a punk!!!!!) shhhhhh!!!!!! i didn't really say that

These local laws, won't stop the county or state from getting involved either. That should be obvious after the raids of the past month. Isn't this happening exactly where the city had inspected, debated and approved the opening of dispensaries, just to have them raided a day or 2 later?

Definitely an interesting way to handle it though by the city. I wonder what the overall licensing and taxes are going to be once the counties and state figure out that they can collect them as well... perhaps in the $10k per year in total fees just for licensing with all levels?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm supprised they are not charging $50k

that way it will be so expensive everyone will just have to stay underground.

This isn't like the old Stamp Act. The city of Ferndale wants the businesses to be there. They want the revenue, they want to foot traffic. But it's expensive to go through all the paperwork and check-ups to make sure they are legal. I think that it is a reasonable business license.

Many dispensaries are doing so as a profitable endeavor, not a break-even patient-centric endeavor. I don't see it is wrong for a city to look at a dispensary as a revenue generator.

The city of Ferndale was and is on the compassion forefront of the Medical Marijuana Industry. They inspected the Clinical Relief business before they opened, gave the O.K. and even had talks with the Oakland County Goon Force, at which time the Goonies PROMISED their Chief of Police that they would not bother them..Oops, guess Bouchard didn't get the memo and it is well documented by the Oakland County Drug task force on audio tape "I thought we promised Ferndale that we wouldn't hit them, yah like thats not going to happen". So Oakland County not only spits in the face of regular citizens, they have no respect for another Police Force. Just shows who we are dealing with people.

Archived